Friday, October 31
Follow us on Twitter @FranklinBolts
Don't forget to set your clocks BACK this weekend!!!!
1st Quarter Ends & 2nd Quarter Begins
For 2nd Quarter most students will use the rotation below. Teachers went over 2nd Quarter schedules with students on Monday and Tuesday.
Art to Wellness
Wellness to Art
Computer Science to Engineering Technology
Engineering Technology to Computer Science
As always you can keep updated with your child's grades through Powerschool. https://pscr.gwaea.org/public/
For those unfamiliar with dance marathon as a charity fundraiser, this event is affiliated with the University of Iowa’s Dance Marathon and the Children’s Miracle Network. Funds raised help support pediatric cancer patients at the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital. Each year we are blessed to have numerous college students affiliated with Dance Marathon join us. In fact, some years we have had some of our very own Franklin alumni return to dance with us as U of I student dancers. It’s good fun for a good cause. We hope you can join us this year too! See below four ways our students can support this great event.
- Bring your change for the Money Mash during the week prior to the dance. All coins count toward a positive total for your home room. All checks or paper money count as negatives; these help bring down the totals of your competitors. So drop your coins in your home room basket and any paper money in the baskets of your closest competitors. High home rooms each day will win suckers, licorice, etc. Students in the high home room at the end of the week will receive a free slice of pizza at the dance.
- Donate baked goods for our bake sale or a 12 pack of pop for the dance. Our bake sale runs two days! Bring baked goods to room 206 before school and shop for goodies on Thursday, November 6th and Friday, November 7th during the lunch hours.
- Be a Spirit Dancer! These students collect donations totaling $25 or more and turn them into the office using an official pledge sheet. In return, they do not have to wait in the admission line for the dance, and they have the chance to win some great prizes. In fact, some lucky winners get to put a pie in the face of a beloved staff member!
- JUST COME TO THE DANCE and be a dancer for kids with cancer!!! You’ll get some great exercise, have a great time, and help out a great cause!
Financial Literacy Assembly
- Wages minus deductions equals take home pay.
- Saving and investing involve different levels of risk.
- How credit and debit cards work.
- The importance of forming a savings habit.
We would like to thank Ms. Jones for organizing this assembly and The Iowa Insurance Division for sponsoring. Ms. Jones will be elaborating on this assembly with her curriculum in the spring. Be sure to follow-up with your 8th graders about their own financial awareness.
Check out the news coverage of the assembly by KCRG: http://www.kcrg.com/subject/news/cedar-rapids-eighth-graders-learn-money-management-through-sketch-comedy-20141027
Mix It Up @ Lunch
Check out the pictures below from Wednesday.