4-H Bits & Bytes
Warren County 4-H Newsletter: June 1 2022
June 1: Non-Market Rabbit Tattooing, Building I, 6 pm
June 1: Rabbit Clinic, Building I, 7 pm
June 2: FairEntry Zoom Help Session, 6:30 pm
June 4: Feeder Calf Tag In, Fairgrounds, 9 am-11 am
June 4: Warren County Tri-County Horse Show, Fairgrounds, 9 am
June 10: G & K Speed Show, Fairgrounds, 6 pm
June 15: Fair Entry Deadline, 4:30 pm
June 17: Deadline to register for Alternate Livestock & Horse Interviews, 4:30 pm
June 18: PAS Horse Show, Fairgrounds, 8 am
June 25: Livestock & Horse Interviews, Event Center, 9am-2pm
Help sheets and videos can be found at https://warren.osu.edu/https%3A/warren.osu.edu/animalpaperwork/fairentry. Be sure to follow along with these when completing entries.
- If you choose to participate in showmanship, you will register for showmanship once per species not per animal.
- Enter all family members' entries prior to submitting. If you submit one member's entry at a time, you will have to wait for entry approval prior to entering the second member's entries
- You have to attach an animal to all animal entries. Some of these might already appear from 4-H Online or you might have to create your animal
- Horse Exhibitors: Please read "FairEntry Class Rules" at https://warren.osu.edu/https%3A/warren.osu.edu/animalpaperwork/department-7-equine before completing your entries
- DOUBLE CHECK CONFIRMATION EMAIL FOR ENTRIES, any class missed or entered incorrectly can not be fixed after June 15th
- DO NOT WAIT UNTIL JUNE 15TH TO COMPLETE FAIR ENTRIES!
PLEASE make sure you read the help sheet first but if you are still having trouble, email Taylor Stevens at Stevens.firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 513-695-1311.
FairEntry Zoom Help Session
Meeting ID: 982 4631 2175
If you have any questions about entering your projects, please attend this session!
Livestock & Horse Interviews
Mandatory Livestock and Horse Interview schedules can be viewed at go.osu.edu/interviews22 Interviews will be held on June 25th at the Warren County Fairgrounds Event Center.
If you are unable to attend on June 25th, alternate interviews will be held on July 14th from 10 am-1 pm. If you need to sign up for the alternate interview date, please call the Extension Office at 513-695-1311. If you are completing the alternate interview you will not be placed for the interview. You must complete a project summary and project book by June 24th and submit it to the Extension Office by 4:30 pm. The deadline to sign up for alternate interviews is June 17th at 4:30 pm.
Feeder Calf Tag In
· Completed County-born paperwork is due June 1st at the Extension office by 4:30 p.m. If we don’t have paperwork, we won’t tag the calf as county-born. The calf must have an ear tag that matches the county-born form, or we will not tag it as county-born.
· Beef feeder calves must be tagged on June 4th to be eligible for the fair.
· Beef feeder calves must be 100% beef parentage to show at the fair.
· We will not tag any feeder calves that have horns. Calves must be hornless, defined as no horn or scur above the surface of the hide. This has been the rule for many, many years.
· Steers must be castrated. If a castration band is in place, but the bag has not fallen off yet, that is acceptable.
· We will have a veterinarian on site to worm and vaccinate the calves. The cost is $11 per head (cash or check). We would prefer that all calves be vaccinated and wormed at tagging so that everything is uniform when we promote this to potential feeder calf packer buyers during the fair. If they have recently been vaccinated or wormed, then a bill/note is required from your veterinarian.
· Calves need to be green broke enough that they can be walked from your trailer to the chute for tagging and vet work. There will not be an enclosure around the chute, so green broke or better is important.
· We do not weigh feeder calves during check-in, but we will have a scale available on-site should you choose to weigh your calves on your own.
You will enter the fairgrounds through the main gate and drive down the hill between the cattle and pig barns. Do not enter through Gate 4. If you have any questions, email me at email@example.com.
King & Queen Applications
King & Queen applications are now available at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc-l49cO9x6MDV1I0D6wnbh4K2Vctz2y_Xa6rMJqpF0P-OEeQ/viewform?usp=sf_link until June 3rd. Applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 19 as of January 1st, 2022, not married, not have married, nor have born or fathered a child.