Fifth Grade PEAK
December 12, 2014
Our class, along with the second and third grade PEAK classes, participated in an hour of code - we gave the students choice so that they could select a level of coding appropriate to the individual level. The site we used was code.org/learn. This site houses tutorials from many different coding groups: Khan Academy, Code.org, Tynker, Scratch, Code Combat, Lightbot, and many more! Each coding group had one hour tutorials to work through. Studo.code -studio.code.org also housed additional coding programs (we suggested this site for beginners.) However, at the bottom of this site is a 20 hour computer science program. If you are interested in learning more about coding - please check out both of these sites.
- Students are working hard to finish note taking. Most students are nearing 80 notes completed! I read student notes each week and provide feedback for the kids in Evernote.
- We added to our class back channel - BRAIN BACK CHANNEL
- Students were introduced to "how to write a feature magazine article". We are examining articles to discover characteristics of feature articles, angles, leads, and titles. We discussed the importance of having more than just research in a feature magazine article - we need interviews and observations. We brainstormed ways to collect this information to include in our articles. I am really excited about the students willingness to authenticate their research with real life interviews and observations. Spencer made an excellent observation that a Feature Magazine Article has both depth and breadth. Way to go SPENCER!
Enrichment Centers:Topic Study: Students worked diligently to identifying their level of thinking and the "Bloom's Verb" they want to use to show depth of knowledge. We worked on our projects and I conferenced with students to make sure we are going deep in thinking.
- Today students worked on their own Google Site -- we will use it as a portfolio to house PEAK work
- Students participated in an on-line quiz game that tested students' knowledge on the scientific method. The students have learned a lot about science this year!!!!
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up an account for our note taking research
- Online Graphic Organizer tool to organize headings and subheadings
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account -- many have completed a vocabulary presentation in topic study via Powtoons.
Classroom Book Source:
- Students learned how to check out books electronically from my classroom library.
- There is a link on my student resource page for students to "Tweet" about the day. We will post 5 tweets a week on my classroom board - some even make it to real twitter.
- Please follow me on twitter - you never know when a tweet will post about your child's PEAK day!
Create a Graph:
- Applied our knowledge on how to make graphs online
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study