Roy B. Kelley
Parents, guardians, staff, students & community members are invited to take a short 5-minute survey. We are looking to seek public input on how the District can use foundation aid for student performance and needs. Please click here to give feedback by April 21, 2023.
Congrats to the PageTurners!
Congratulations to the PageTurners! Mrs. Waddell, the Librarian at Roy B. Kelley, has been working with the students in PageTurners. Our Lockport Lions PageTurners finished 2nd overall in the Genesee Valley BOCES PageTurners Competition! They were one of five teams in our division, and still one of the youngest teams competing. Pembroke was uncatchable after the first round with their combined score from the fall, so they will be moving on to the Championships. We are so proud of how hard these students worked, the results they were able to achieve in their first year competing, and how well they represented the Lockport City School District.
Teacher requests for next year:
Please join us for our next PTA meeting on Wednesday, April 19th, at 6:30pm at the Family Empowerment Center (at the Cornerstone Arena). At this meeting we will discuss important PTA topics, including open officer positions for next year!
- Thank you to everyone who contributed to and attended the Winter Family Night event and the basket and gift card raffle! We hope that everyone had a great time at the event! We raised ~$1,000 from car decal and ticket raffle sales - thank you so much for all of your support! These sales help to support continued activities for our RBK students, such as field trips and field day.
- Save the Date for Family BINGO night on Wednesday, April 26th, from 6-8pm! Snacks will be available for purchase from the Yummmm Truck.
- The 4th Grade Spelling Bee will be on Friday, April 28th! Please return permission slips to receive the spelling word list to study.
- Our Spring Fundraiser will be the Little Caesars Pizza sale and will run from April 24th through May 8th. Delivery of the pizzas will be in early June. More details to come soon!
- As a reminder, if you wish to purchase a yearbook this year, final orders may be placed online until Friday, April 21st.
Lost and Found - Coats, Sweatshirts, Water Bottles, Lunch Bags, Hats, Gloves....
4/17, 19, 24, 26, Girls on the Run
4/20, 27 Stem Group 2
4/19 - 4/21, NYS ELA testing grades 3 & 4
4/19 PTA meeting at the Family Empowerment Center (Cornerstone Arena), 6:30 p.m.
4/24 Spelling Bee Practice, 3:45 - 4:30 in the Dining Hall
4/24 - 5/8 PTA Spring Fundraiser
4/26 BINGO Night, 6 - 8 PM
4/27 Respectful Superhero Assembly, 2 p.m. gr. 2-4, except Mrs. Provenzano's class and at 2:45, grades k-1 & Mrs. Provenzano's class
4/28 Spelling Bee
5/13 Regional Spelling Bee at LHS, 10 a.m.
Parents Make the Difference
Students who remain motivated to learn are likely to be more successful in school than those who are not. Motivation comes from within your child, but the right words and actions from you can encourage it.
Try these ideas:
- Be a learner yourself. Let your child see you read books. Watch educational programs. Attend school functions. Try new things. Show curiosity.
- Share what you learn. Talk about new ideas or scientific discoveries with your child. Discuss things you read or hear.
- Show an interest in what your child is learning. Ask questions to learn and share—not to check up on your child.
- Stay positive. If your child has problems in school, talk about how problems can be solved. Meet with the teacher to figure out ways your child can improve. Then discuss ways you can work together to help your child succeed.
- Show faith in your child’s ability to learn. Offer praise when your child shows effort.
Reprinted with permission from the May 2023 issue of Parents make the difference!® (Elementary School Edition) newsletter. Copyright © 2023 The Parent Institute®, a division of PaperClip Media, Inc.
Please refer to our calendar for updates. Click on an event to display details such as location, attachments, contact info and descriptions. Calendars may be printed monthly, weekly or as a list or can be imported into your Google calendar or phone.