How to Help the Homeless
By: Breeley O, Elisa M, Gia S, Eli B
What does it mean to be homeless?
homelessness is the condition of people without a regular dwelling. People who are homless are most often unable to acquire and maintain regular, safe, secure and adequate housing, or lack "fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence.
The 5 W's
What-People are becoming homeless
Where-people across the world
Why-Poverty, depression, unemployment, go on debt and can't pay it off or can't afford to pay rent.
Why is this important?
This is important because homeless people are starving, freezing, and not getting a good education. This is a problem that is affecting people world-wide. They go throughout the day without food, water, or shelter and have to survive the weather's harsh conditions on their own.
How can we help?
- Make a list of shelters to give.
- Give food
- Give money
- Give recyclables
- Donate clothing
- Donate a bag of groceries
- Donate toys
- Volunteer at a shelter
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen
- Tutor homeless children
- Take homeless children on trips
- Have your company/school have a fundraiser
- Employ the homeless
- Over half a million people are homeless.
- One quarter of homeless people are children.
- Tens of thousands of veterans are homeless.
- Domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness amoung women.
- Many people are homeless because they can't afford rent.
- There are fewer places to rent than before.
- In the last few years millions have lost their homes.
- The government does help as much as you think.
- 1 in 5 homeless people suffers from untreated severe mental illness.
- Cities are increasingly making homelessness a crime.