Safety In Carpentry
chemicals in the workplace!!!
1. Wood Dust: Hardwood dust can cause a rare form of nasal cancer and also can cause asthma.
2. Solvents: some chemicals used in carpentry like solvent based stains, varnishes, paints and adhesives can have serious effects on the liver, kidneys and central nervous system.
3. Wood Preservatives: wood preservatives go on some different woods to preserve them and make them last longer, the solvents can cause damage to central nervous system and can dermatitis.
Chemical Safety precautions
- use a vacuum cleaner instead of a brush for cleaning wood dust
- install better ventilation system
General carpentry Safety!!!
- Use and maintain all PPE equipment.
- Follow safe lifting techniques.
- learn about chemical hazards (WHMIS, MSDS).
- Work safely with woodworking machines, hand tools and powered hand tools.
- Know how to report a hazard.