College Center News
Mrs. Mudger's contact information:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 803- 691-4090 ext. 28025
Seniors: Please send Mrs. Mudger copies of all college acceptance letters and scholarship totals asap. I need all scholarships offered, even you don't plan on using it. Your scholarships will be listed in the graduation bulletin if you submit them by May 6.
- The College Center is located in room 401.
- Students make sure you are checking your email daily! Knowing what is happening is your responsibility.
- Transcripts can be requested and sent through http://www.parchment.com/.
- Seniors: The FAFSA form is due by March 1! https://fafsa.ed.gov/- You must submit this form to qualify for any state scholarships and financial aid.
- Blythewood Education Foundation Scholarships are released! http://www.bhseducationfoundation.net/scholarship-information.html
SAT/ACT deadlines are listed in your Junior/Senior Year Guide booklet. Make sure you check the dates!!!
Juniors: ACT workshop at BHS is April 5 from 8:30-2:15- Register online: http://www.doorwaytocollege.com/
The SAT workshop will be Monday, February 29 at 8:30 in the auditorium. If you registered for the workshop, please be on time!
SAT /ACT prep courses sponsored by RNE High School and Kaplan Test Prep-flyers available in the College Center or call 1-800-527-8378 or
Upcoming Events- take advantage of the opportunities!
- The NEW SAT- March 5- registration is closed- Good luck on the test!
- Next ACT: April 9- Deadline to register: March 4 http://www.actstudent.org/
- Next SAT: May 7- Deadline to register April 8: https://www.collegeboard.org/
- March 2- Columbia College - in room 401-lunch- sign up
- March 10- USC Aiken -in room 401-lunch- sign up
- March 15- Presbyterian College- room 401-lunch- sign up
- March 16- USC Columbia in room 401-lunch- sign up
- March 17-ASVAB test- 8:30 in JROTC room G 930-Sign up
- March 23, 2016- HBCU College Fair at Benedict- Field Trip-Juniors/Seniors- permission forms due: 3/14/16
- March 25- Field trip to Francis Marion-Jun/Sen-Permission forms due: 3/18/16
- Apr. 5, 2016- ACT workshop for students at BHS- sign up online: http://www.doorwaytocollege.com/
- Apr. 19- State ACT given to all Juniors at BHS-You do NOT have to register for this!
- April 20 - Midlands Technical College placement test offered in Cyber Center- 9:30- 12:30 - Sign up in 401- Free application included
College Open Houses
The American Musical and Dramatic Academy- NYC campus
Auditions in Charlotte, NC- May 7, and July 17
For more information call admissions: 1-800-367-7908 or http://www.amda.edu/
The University of Alabama- University Day: March 7
First glance days: Mar 21,24,28
Includes campus tour and meet professors
Junior and Seniors All Access tour: Saturday, February 5-6
Auburn University- School of Agriculture Open House
April 8- 1:00-3:30
Benedict College- Spring Open House
Saturday, April 9 8:00 am- 12:00- lunch is included Call: 1-803-705-4910 to register
UNCF HBCU Empower Me Tour- March 5 8:30-4 empowermetour.org
Charleston Southern University
Personal visits: Monday-Friday 10:00- 2:00
First Look: March 19- tour campus, meet faculty and students, admissions and financial aid workshops Register online: http://www.charlestonsouthern.edu
Discover The Citadel Open House- Friday, April 15 www.citadel.edu/discover
Pre-Knob over night visits: Mar. 3-4 Apr. 7-8- only for accepted applicants
Tours given daily- http://www.claflin.edu/future-students/visit-campus
Spring Blitz Days: March 24-25 and March 28-29
Coastal Carolina University
2016 Open Houses
March 19, April 16, April 23, April 30
Discovery Day: Saturday, April 2
Register online: coastal.edu/admissions.visits.html
College Art Day 2016
Friday, March 4 at the SC State Museum
Call to register: 803-898-4999 or http://scmuseum.org/
College of Charleston
Maroon Monday- March 14- 10:00-3:00
Accepted students weekend: March 18-19 http://www.admissions.cofc.edu/explorethecollege/events/acceptedweekend.php
Columbia College-March 19, 2016
Meet the faculty, students, tour campus and have lunch-
Register online: http://columbiasc.edu/openhouse or call: 1-803- 786-3871
Columbia International University-
Open House: March 19 Preview Day: March 31-April 1
Personalized visits: Mon-Fri 10:00- 2:00
Meet with professor of desired major, tour campus life etc.
Register online: http://www.cokercollege.edu/campus-visit.html
Spring Open House: March 4, April 23
Register online: http://visit.erskine.edu/visit/open-house-events/
Francis Marion University
Open House: March 5, and April 9
Check in: 8:30 Lunch included
Register online at: http://www.fmarion.edu/fmuadmissions/openhouse
HBCU College Fair- hosted by Benedict College
Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:00 am- 1:00 pm
Onsite interviews and acceptance to Seniors who qualify.
*Must bring official transcripts and SAT/ACT scores
Information provided to Juniors.
David H. Swinton Student Center
1600 Harden Street Columbia, SC 29204
Register onine: www.benedict.edu/nacdrao
Lander University- Open House
March 19- Tour housing, speak to department reps, financial aid and student life Register online:
Midlands Technical College
Senior Days: tour campus, complete application- free, explore programs, financial aid
Fridays- March 4, and April 15
**MTC Foundation Scholarships are due online by May 1, 2016.
Mississippi State- Spring Preview Days: March 21, March 28-
register online: email@example.com
Nascar Technical Institute and Universal Technical Institute
Open enrollment program- No deadlines- http://www.uti.edu/programs/nascar
Newberry College- Spring Open House March 19 10 am- 3 pm.
North Greenville University
Open House-March 19, 2016
Check in 8:30- 9:00-Lunch included
Register online: http://www.ngu.edu/open-house.php
Paul Mitchell the School Columbia
Open House- March 8-6:00-8:00 https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/152c3242fd1aaf6e?projector=1
Senior visits: Monday -Friday Schedule is made to meet your needs.
Accepted students day! Saturday, April 9.
"Royal Open House"- a half day Saturday event for students and familiies
Saturday, March 19, 2016
For more information: www.queens.edu/visit-campus
Spartanburg Methodist College
Spring Open House: March 19
Meet faculty, students, and tour campus.
Register online: http://www.smcsc.edu/openhouse/
Accepted Students Day: March 19th 10:30 am
Complete day of activities!
Register online: http://web.usca.edu/admissions/visit/schedule-a-tour.dot
Spring Campus Day: March 19, 2016
Hilton Head Getaway Campus, Bluffton, SC
Times: 8:30- 1:00
Meet faculty, explore majors, tour campus and lunch is provided
Register online: http://www.uscb.edu/admissions/visit-uscb/visitation-events.html
Admitted student days: April 9, April 16
Open House: March 26 and April 30. Tour campus, degree programs and campus life
Admissions counselors and Financial aid sessions available.
Fab Fridays: March 4, April 1
Register online: http://www.uscupstate.edu/openhouse/
Preview Day- February 27-9:00-11:30 w/ optional department tours
World Wide Winthrop Day- for accepted students: April 9- 9:30-3:00
Academic and Student Life Fair, campus tour, small group discussion
Register online: http://www.winthrop.edu/admissions/visit/
- Rising Seniors who are strong mathematically: interested in career in business, finance, or economics: Actuarial Science Summer Camp- https://www.lvc.edu/summer-scholars-actuarial-science/index.aspx
- Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies: Various academies/institutes offered spcs.stanford.edu
** Scholarship tips:
- Ask the colleges that you have been accepted to about the scholarships they offer. Apply for these!
- Ask your local community for connections: your church, parents' work, local organizations etc.- Apply for these- you have a foot in if you know someone!
- Apply for national scholarships- these have large pools of people so make yourself stand out.
BHS Education Foundation Scholarships: Deadline April 5.
Columbia Urban League Scholarships- Deadline April 30.
The Soloman Jackson , Jr. Foundation Scholarship- Deadline April 15
For low income residents in Richland County: https://www.southstatebank.com/about/communities/sjf/
Central Carolina Community Foundation Scholarships- Deadline March 15th.
SC Coaches Association of Women's Sports Scholarship- For female athlete students who plan to major in medical field or education- Turn in complete applications to Mrs. Mudger by March 25, 2016.
American Business Women Association Columbia Triad Chapter- Deadline March 11
Seniors seeking business or professional career- GPA 2.5 or above- Paper copies in 401
Hopkins High School Alumni Foundation 2016 Scholarship-Deadline May 1- Seniors who are descendants of graduates of Hopkins High School. Paper copies in The College Center.
Army Emergency Relief Scholarship- Deadline May 1
Senior, Dependent child of active duty soldier, retired soldier, or a soldier who died on active duty. More info in room 401 or http://www.aerhq.org/dnn563/
Aspiring Nurse Scholarship- Deadline June 30
For Seniors who plan to pursue a nursing degree. http://www.nursingschoolsalmanac.com/
Blythewood Chamber of Commerce Scholarship- Deadline April 19
Seniors with 29016 zip code can apply. http://blythewoodchamber.com/
Columbia SC Alumnae Chapter Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Scholarship- Deadline March 21 Seniors, 3.0 GPA or above, 4 different awards Copies are in the college center.
South Carolina Federal Credit Union Scholarship- Deadline is March 12
Seniors submit application, letter of recommendation, transcript and photo. Short essay requirement. http://smplsc.com/scholarship
The South Carolina Education Association-Retired scholarship- Deadline is March 15
Seniors pursuing career in education, GPA 3.0 or above, leadership
* Copies of application are in The College Center.
Richland County Association of Educational Office Professionals: Deadline April 1
Seniors with 2.0 or above, need for financial assistance, essay required and activities
Fairfield Electric 2016 Washington Youth Tour- Deadline to apply: March 4th
More information and applications are in The College Center
Kohl's Cares Scholarship: Deadline March 15
Applicant's volunteer actions must have occurred in the last year. Recipients will be chosen based on the benefits and outcomes of their volunteer service.
Victory Spouses Club Scholarships-Fort Jackson, SC
Applicants must be a child of member of Victory Spouses Club in good standing.
Deadline: March 1, 2016
American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship
Open to high school Seniors going to college in Fall 2016.
Deadline to apply: April 6, 2016 10 Winners- $2000 each
Deadline is April 15, 2016
Applicants must be a US citizen and have at least a 2.5 GPA.
In 750 words or less, answer: How do you plan to utilize financial aide, scholarships, or student loans to pay for college?
Interested in attending Newberry College?
Newberry College is offering a student loan repayment promise. To qualify you must graduate from NBC and earn less than $36,000 after graduation. The plan is free to all Newberry students. For more information: www.newberry.edu/WePromise
Going to Francis Marion University?
Apply for the McNair Scholarship
Covers full tuition, fees, room and board
- High school senior with 1100 or higher on SAT or 24 or higher on ACT
- GPA 3.0 or higher
- South Carolina resident
- Interest in a career in public service
- commit to study abroad and service learning opportunities
** Don't forget to search other scholarship opportunities posted in Naviance.