BCHS Staff Newsletter
May 1, 2016
Week in Review
Well, the "Busy Week" is out of the way from wrapping up testing in grades 8-11, to the GTC academic awards' ceremony for seniors, senior mock interviews, honors' banquet, and prom. I was a bit stressed going into the beginning of last week, but I can say that I am very proud of how everything turned out. As always, there are many of you working "behind the scenes" to make sure these events are done right!
The bulk of our testing is now out of the way.
So far we have completed:
11th grade--SAT, M-STEP, & ACT Work Keys
11th grade--SAT Make-up
11th grade--Work Keys Make-up
10th grade--PSAT Make-up
9th grade--PSAT Make-up on April 26
8th Grade--M-STEP Social Studies, M-STEP ELA, & Math
We have the following left:
7th Grade--M-STEP May 11, 19, 24, 25 (schedules and groups to follow later this week)
AP Tests--See section below for details
Great job by our seniors and Corinne with the mock interviews. I heard a lot of positive reviews from the adults that volunteered their time to sit down with our students.
- "You have such great kids here, they are well spoken and respectful"
- "I wish I had an opening, because I would have hired the one kid on the spot"
- "It is always a pleasure to talk to these kids now and see the growth when they come back for real interviews in 4-5 years"
- "I think every school needs to do more of this to help prepare our kids"
Great Job by Jesse, the baseball coaching staff, and our high school baseball players. They hosted a youth clinic on Saturday for about 30 kids. It was great to see how well our kids were teaching and interacting with the younger students/players!
SLO's & Data & Observations
If I haven't completed your formal observation yet, I will be in sometime the next couple weeks to wrap those up. If there is a specific day/time you would like me to come in just let me know.
Wednesday, May 4--English Literature and Composition
Thursday, May 5--Calculus AB
Wednesday, May 11--English Language and Composition
Thank you to my chaperons for helping with the bus ride and while we were on the boat. I appreciate that time you put in to help make it a memorable night for our students.
I must say that I was very impressed with the night. From the organization that Robin put into the event, the set-up by Gino, and presentations by the staff. I was fortunate to have attended this event multiple times during high school and junior high, however, it is totally different to see it from the other side of the table. To see the looks on parents' faces as they were beaming with pride for their child's accomplishments just makes that night worth it. These are students who are always willing to put in the extra effort, and they deserve a night to be honored like this.
Great job by everyone who played a role in helping to make this a memorable night for the students and their guests!
Great News on our College Advisor, we found out last week that the person (we were hoping for) has accepted the postion to work with Marlette and us next school year! Her name is Cierra Toliver. She is a graduate of Central Michigan, and she has a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science with an Art Minor.
She is originally from Romulus and will be relocating to the area. I will try to have her come in one day before the end of the year to meet the staff.
She hasn't actually completed the training for the College Adviser material yet, that is something all new advisers will do this summer. Locally, there are now college adivers at Harbor Beach, Bad Axe, Capac, Yale, Algonac, Port Huron High, and Port Huron Northern.
Teacher Appreciation Week!
To thank you, I will be providing lunch on Wednesday. It will be in the teachers' lounge starting around 10:45. Please stop in during your lunch and get something to eat.
- May 2-6--Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 2-6--Bus Duty--A. Troshak
- May 2--Student of the Week--Oligney (Any Grade)
- May 4--Child Study Team Meeting (1st hour)
- May 4--English Literature and Composition AP Exam
- May 5--Neil Gone in AM for County Principals' Meeting
- May 5--Calculus AB AP Exam
- May 4--Teacher Appreciation Week Lunch in Teachers' Lounge
- May 4--Directed Study 7th Hour
- May 6--Auto Shop Exam for Seniors in AM with Deb Nelson from ISD
- May 9-13--Bus Duty--J. Waterman
- May 9--Student of the Week--Grabowski (Any Grade)
- May 10--High School Spring Band Concert
- May 11--7th Grade Science M-STEP
- May 11--English Language and Composition AP Exam
- May 11--Directed Study 4th Hour
- May 12--Elementary Spring Band Concert
- May 13--Early Dismissal (1:00), Staff PD from 1:10-3:00
- May 13--Senior Coursework Due (excluding exam)
- May 14--Green Devil Classic (Baseball/Softball)
- May 14-15--Senior Lock-In
- May 16-19--Senior Exams
- May 16--Seniors' last day of Career Center
- May 18--Bacalaureate @ 7pm
- May 19--Seniors' Last Day
- May 22--Graduation Ceremony @ 2:00
Homework Help Lab
Tuesday/Thursday Mornings in Lori's new room. 7:15-8:00 am
This will cause some students to be past the double doors, but Jesse is there monitoring this and will let them up if needed. Also, any other teachers that have students coming for help in the morning, just have them let Jesse know when they ask to go up early. This will not be an issue, and I encourage you to work with your struggling students.
Tuesday/Thursday Afternoons in Library. 3:15-4:00 pm
Jarrod will be running the morning sessions and Lou will be running the afternoon sessions. Any other teachers are also welcome to help with this. Thanks.
Magic Club--Tuesdays and Thursdays
Super Smash Bros Club--Fridays