By Arysta March
California Agriculture Facts
* Some common things California produces are: almonds, artichokes, dates, figs, kiwifruit, and olives.
* It also grows nearly half of the nation's fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
*The leading commodity is milk and cream, which accounts for almost $6 billion in cash receipts.
*Over 5.3 billion eggs are produced each year by more than 19 million hens and pullets of laying age.
* There are over 410,000 bee colonies in the state
* Bees are used for both pollination and production of honey.
More agricultural facts about California
* The San Joaquin series is the state soil.
* California is the nation's top agricultural state, and has been for more than 50 years.
* More than 60% of the state's farms are less than 50 acres in size.
* More than 90% of California farms are family farms or partnerships.
* The average farm size is 311 acres.
* Total farmland is 25.3 million acres