By: Cassidy Pascal
Myths about Disabilities
- All persons who use wheelchairs are chronically ill or sick
- People with disabilities always need your help
- The lives of people with a disability are completely different than those with no disabilities
Tips When Interacting with a Disabled Student
- Speak normally to them
- Ask before you help them
- Don't make assumptions about a person's disabilities
- Smile :) (it makes them feel comfortable)
- Be careful about using offensive type of language around them
Kids Like Me (with disabilities) - I Believe!
Ways to Accommodate to this Type of Learner
- Treat them just like every other student.
- Have a specific learning plan for them.
- Make sure the other students are interacting with the disabled student; that type of relationship can be very useful for both parties.