Our Town Happenings Week #13
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of November 16 - 20, 2015
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- begin brainstorming for expository composition #1
- grammar: continue quotation marks, time-order transition words (first, next, finally, after that, etc)
- Explorers: The New World
- financial literacy
- gathering factual information from text features - graphs, charts, technical drawings, tables, etc.
- following procedural texts
- Sitton Spelling Unit 12 Core Words: class, piece, surface, river, common
- for extended word list, see link below
- investigating conductors & insulators
- series circuits
OUR CURRENT WEEK
ALL WEEK - PJ drive, Generation Texas Week
- bookfair opens after school (2:45 - 3:30 pm)
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Visual Art)
- bookfair (LATE NIGHT - open 7:45 - 6:00 pm)
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- bookfair (7:45 - 3:30)
- Blue Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Library)
- bookfair (7:45 - 3:30)
- Purple Specials Day (Beasley/Library, LaCombe/PE)
- bookfair (EARLY CLOSE - 7:45 - 2:00)
- Thanksgiving Feast (visitors welcome; 4th grade lunch time - 12:40 - 1:10)
- Red Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Visual Art)
- spell check over Sitton Unit 12
- operations timed test
- Log reading minutes online in Google Classroom (80 min/week recommended)
- Complete homework online in Google Classroom Reading Class (see info below for help logging in at home)
- reading homework due Sunday, November 29th - AFTER Thanksgiving
- Sumdog Challenge - in student account when they log in
- cultural research to begin after break; however, we will send home information & the research outline later this week in case students would like to use the Thanksgiving break to work on their research
- research outline due 12/4
- Study for Making Connections Vocab Quiz #2 (to be given Tuesday, 12/8)
- Friday 11/13 - Thursday 12/10 - Pajama Drive
- Week of 11/16 - Generations Texas week
- Week of 11/16 - bookfair in Reagan Library
- Friday 11/20 - Thanksgiving Lunch (4th grade lunch 12:40 - 1:10)
- Week of 11/23 - 11/27 - Thanksgiving Break
- Friday 12/4 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Decade Day (optional - rescheduled from November)
- Thursday 12/10 - PJ Drive ends
- 12/21 - 1/1/16 - LISD Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
- Monday 1/4 - School resumes
- Friday 1/8 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress-Up) - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday 1/15 - End of 1st Semester
MONSTER BOOK FAIR
If you are interested in purchasing books but are unable to attend the fair on campus, you may order online at http://bookfairs.scholastic.com/bookfairs/cptoolkit/homepage.do?method=homepage&url=reaganrays2015.
DID YOU KNOW??? - REAGAN ELEMENTARY WAS FEATURED ON THE KVUE NEWS THIS WEEK!
VETERANS DAY PROGRAM - NOVEMBER 11, 2015
PTA HOLIDAY SPIRIT STICKS
OUR (PAST FEW) WEEK(S) IN PICTURES
WRITING STAAR TEST UPDATE
To meet legislative requirements, the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) grades 4 and 7 writing assessments will be redesigned so they can be completed in one four-hour administration. In the current school year, the STAAR grades 4 and 7 writing assessments will be administered on Tuesday, March 29, 2016. Please update your travel and appointment calendars accordingly.
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.