Postpartum Health Alliance
June 2015 Newsletter
Welcome to the PHA newsletter! Home of your updates on PMADs research, local events focused on increasing PMADs awareness and more!
Upcoming Trainings and Events
Employment Opportunity for Postpartum Health Alliance
Position Title: Postpartum Health Alliance (PHA) Coordinator
Position Type: Contracted, part-time
Location: Home-based, with frequent meetings in community locations (work materials provided by PHA)
Hours: Approximately 12 hours per week
Timeframe: This position is time limited (six months), with an option to extend
- Communications (estimated at 15 hours/month)
- Monitor PHA email address
- Marketing & Outreach (estimated at 10 hours/month)
- Contribute to and manage the monthly release of the PHA Newsletter
- Sit on Communications Committee
- Manage email listserve
- Participate in or organize the participation in community events
- Give presentations about PHA
- Support coordination of materials and supplies for outreach events
- Staff PHA table at community outreach events (6-10/year)
- Website (estimated at 5 hours/month)
- Update and Monitor Website content
- Manage website design updates
- Miscellaneous administrative jobs in collaboration with Board, at the direction of Board President (estimated at 15 hours/month)
- Support strategic planning initiative
- Weekly meeting (phone or in-person) with PHA Board President or designated representative (1 hour/week)
Orientation, training and ongoing support to duties listed above will be provided by the PHA Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of previous non-profit administrative experience desired
- Comfort with public speaking and engaging in networking and outreach conversations
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Comfortable with technology and basic computer software
- Able to solve problems and troubleshoot technology challenges
- Able to provide at least 2 professional references
Please send a resume and brief description of why you are interested in this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Parent Connection Swap Meet
Sunday, June 28th, 8am-12pm
Sunday, June 28 * 8:00am – 12:00pm Canyon Crest Academy 5951 E Village Center Loop Road San Diego 92130
PHA and theBlueDotProject will be at the Parent Connection Swap Meet at Canyon Crest Elementary on Sunday June 28th. We'll be raising money and spreading the word about PHA. You can help us by: spreading the word to your network, coming by and saying hello, or letting us know if you have a collection of gently used baby and little kid items you'd like to donate to be sold at the PHA fundraising table.
PMADs News and Medical Updates
Postpartum Support International (PSI), the leading organization dedicated to helping women suffering from perinatal mood disorders, is bringing together the country's top experts to share the latest research and innovative treatments to help new mothers. Last year's conference in Chapel Hill, NC drew 350 researchers, childbirth professionals, social support providers, mental and public health providers, nurses, primary care physicians, and volunteers from around the world. Find out more here!
New Drug for Post Partum Depression, to Good to be True?
Four new mothers hospitalized for severe postpartum depression had their depressive symptoms virtually vanish after the administration of an experimental new epilepsy drug. Read the article here!
Pregnancy alters women’s brains, studies show
Pregnancy and motherhood has been found to permanently alter a woman’s brains, specifically how it and the body may react to future treatments or hormones later in life, a recent study says.