MPE Weekly Roar
December 1, 2023
Good afternoon MPE Families,
It is hard to believe it is December!
Thank you for all the new pajamas. MPE is a very generous community.
MONDAY IS THE LAST DAY TO BRING IN NEW PAJAMAS FOR CHILDREN IN NEED
- During our PJ Day on Friday, students participated in a Community Meeting to learn about our new pillar, Caring! Here is more information about the Pajama Program. https://pajamaprogram.org/our-story/
- Special thank you to the PTA for special treats for the amazing MPE staff. Each staff member felt very appreciated with their own delicious mini pumpkin/apple pie and an apple bar. So nice, generous and thoughtful! Thank you!
- In January, a book club will be available for 5th graders. Stay tuned for additional details.
- The PTA is working to bring back our math club. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering for this fun club.
- Thank you for following all the traffic rules and working hard to get your students to school by 7:50 a.m. We appreciate all your efforts. We recommend that your student keeps extra clothes in their backpack in case of spills or an occasional accident. As we head into the colder weather, please remind your child to dress warmly as we go outside for recess most days.
- District Band Day on Thursday was really fun for the students. Please talk to your child if they attended. When they came back to the building, there were big smiles, and lots of happy children. Thank you to everyone in the district to put this together for our students.
- Chess Club was held on Thursday, making huge strides with our new coach.
- Our third graders took their CogAT assessment, and we are so proud of them!
- This week was the last ASE session of the season.
- Our Equity team met on Tuesday to solidify our goals and discuss the importance of respect. We established action points for the committee. Our next meeting is on December 12, 2023, after school in the media center. We also have a Zoom link for those who prefer to attend virtually. Please email Mr. Diegnan for more information at JDiegnan@livingston.org.
- Special thanks to Ms. Morales for her exceptional work with our kindergarten students. Today is her last day at MPE! We wish her well at Collins School. They are so fortunate to have her!
- Welcome Back to Mrs. Alterman! We have missed you and are excited to see you back at MPE!
- Report cards will be available for parents to view on December 15 in the portal (for grades 1-5).
- Class parents are organizing December parties! Art Appreciation and media volunteers are coming in to help our children have enriched learning experiences! Thank you, parents. We appreciate you!
- Don't forget that we have our Holiday Boutique next week. And, of course, we are super excited for our Wizard's Basketball game tomorrow at LHS. We hope you can join us! (See details below)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Proud 2B MPE,
Livingston All-Stars vs. Harlem Wizards!
It's not too late to come to see the Livingston All-Stars as they go up against the World Famous Harlem Wizards TOMORROW (Saturday, Dec 2) at LHS from 5:30-7:30. The MPE PTA is hosting this community event, and our team of all-stars consists of teachers and staff from MPE, Burnet Hill, Riker Hill & Harrison as well as some of our police officers and volunteer firefighters!
Get ready for high-flying entertainment and fun and watch the Wizards and their electric personalities. Their team will feature tricks, music, dunks, comedy, dancing and audience participation. It is an awe-inspiring, two-hour basketball show including an autograph session. See an invitation from the Wizards for ALL Livingston kids inviting them to see their show of tricks, hoops and alley-oops!: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/878740628
Tickets are still on sale! https://pretix.eu/harlemwizards/livingstonnj12-02-23-05-00pm
Come support the MPE PTA! Don't forget to have your kids make some signs and cheer on your teachers!
During the month of December MPE will be learning about the Caring Pillar, with a focus on caring for others. Students will learn that caring for others means showing their concern for classmates, community members, family, and friends. Caring is about being empathetic, having compassion, being grateful for the things people do for you, and being sensitive to others’ feelings. We will start the month off with a pajama drive for children in need (pajamas due December 4). We encourage you to include your child in the process of donating! This will build their empathy, and teaches them how to care for others in our community. In addition, today your children participated in their second community meeting where students practiced caring for their community meeting group through play. Ask them about their time and the ways they can show caring towards others at MPE!
3rd Grade Trip to Sterling Hill Mining Museum
On Tuesday, November 21, 3rd grade classes took a field trip to the Sterling Hill Mining Museum. Check out these amazing pictures.
District Band Day!
Become an MPE Ambassador
Have you found your parent community at MPE? Do you have a friend to chat with at pickup or school events? Please consider yourself lucky and consider becoming an MPE Ambassador.
Ambassador Programs help further a sense of belonging and community. They also present an opportunity to demonstrate to our children how to build relationships beyond our original friend circles and create a framework to find our place in our community. By wearing an MPE Ambassador Pin (magnetic back, does not pierce clothing) you signify to other parents that you are simply open to a hello or casual conversation. No pressure to become BFFs or to wear your pin every day, only when you are open to a wave, a smile or a little chat. Click here to sign up or just to get more info you're on the fence! There will be an information session via Zoom to answer any questions and provide tips.
5th Grade Science
Students learned about the periodic table of elements last week. This week, they participated in a periodic table of elements scavenger hunt as a formative assessment.
MPE fourth grade students, Juliana Li and Isabella Wu, are members of Just Coders, a Lego Robotic Team. Their team recently participated in the LEGO League Robotic Regional Qualifier for the first time. The team received the Highest Scoring Rookie Award and were also recognized with the Engineering Excellence Award. As a result of their impressive performance in Robot Design, Robot Game, Core Values, and Innovation Project, the team has earned the honor of advancing to the state-level tournament that takes place in early December!!
Congratulations to Juliana and Isabella on this amazing accomplishment!
On November 19, MPE 4th grade students Anushka Padte and Lily Xing participated in the NJ Grade School Chess Championship. Both students won 3 out of 5 games! Congratulations Anushka and Lily!
December 1 - Community Meeting for Pillars Citizenship and Caring
December 2 - MPE/Wizards game at LHS- 5:30 pm
December 4 - School-wide written Spelling Bee
December 4 - Last Day to Bring in Pajamas for the PJ Drive
December 5 - Holiday Gift Shop - grades 3-5
December 6 - Last Day of the Marking Period 1 gr 1-5
December 6 - Holiday Gift Shop - grades K-2
December 8 - District String Day - LHS 8:10 - 11:00 am
December 11 - BNL retake/absentee pics in small gym in a.m. "Club" pics for yearbook will also be taken.
December 11 - Field trip for 5D and 5Ch
December 12 -Equity Meeting - 2:45 pm
December 13 - Field trip for 5B and 5C
December 13 - PTA General Meeting - 8:00 pm
December 15 - Portal Open to Parents (Report Cards Grades 1-5)
December 21 - PTA Sponsored Holiday Luncheon for staff
December 22 - 12:00 dismissal for students and staff
December 25 - January 1 - School closed for Holiday break.