Felt and Eco Print in Australia!
10 days with Nicola Brown from 18th - 28th October 2019
Felting, eco printing, tannin/iron, titanium and up-cycled clothing
Friday, Oct. 18th, 11am to Monday, Oct. 28th, 11am
Skye Point Road
Coal Point, NSW
This exclusive 10 day non-residential workshop includes........
- A welcome get together and lunch on the 18th followed by an afternoon getting organized in the studio. During this time we will look at samples, discuss options for our time together and get fully prepared for an early start the following day.
- 7 full workshop days where we will explore felting to print and printing to felt, submersion eco printing, steaming, tannin/iron reactions (without mordanting the fabric beforehand) and printing up-cycled clothing. We will be doing this in as environmentally friendly and health conscious a way as possible.
- I will also bring some titanium with me and we can explore it’s use as a mordant for bundles which will then be either steamed or processed in the submersion pot.
- Delicious lunch and snacks each workshop day.
- An optional day off on 23rd to explore the area. I will be working in the studio on this day and participants are welcome to join me if they would like. I’ll be off the clock from the teaching perspective but am very happy to man the eco printing pot!
- A goody bag of my favourite embellishing fibres particularly suitable for felt that will be eco printed.
- Wrap up coffee and get together early on the morning of 28th followed by 11am departure.
Participants need to.........
- Get to Coal Point
- Organise their own accommodation and food outside of workshop hours.
- Bring their own workshop supplies, fibre, olive oil soap, sprinkler, towels, fabric, up-cycled clothing to print, poles to roll bundles around, string etc., etc.. I will provide a suggested materials list to all participants and don’t forget you’ll be getting a goody bag of embellishing fibres!
NB This retreat is suitable for both experienced textile artists and total beginners.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Cost of the retreat
The retreat fee is $1200 (Australian dollars) and payable by international bank transfer or via Western Union. In the event of someone booking but not being able to participate this fee is strictly non-refundable. You can nominate someone else to take your place but I highly recommend holiday insurance for peace of mind. 50% deposit is needed to secure a place and the balance of payment is due by the end of August.
How to get to Coal Point
For international visitors or those not driving there are shuttles that run from Sydney Airport to Newcastle (the nearest airport) and from Newcastle Airport to Coal Point. One shuttle operator is www.foggsshuttle.com.au.
The closest railway station is Fassifern or we should be able to organise collection from Morriset.
Please make sure to check flights etc. before booking accommodation as it might be necessary to arrive on 17th rather than 18th.