1 million dollars and extra facts
Mason, Vincent, Rene
Extra facts about Overflowing landfills
- The burning of trash releases large amounts of carcinogens and particulate matter into the air.
- Methane is 20 times more effective than heat trapped in carbon dioxside.
- Did you also know that the world throws away over 2.6 trillion pounds of trash is kept in landfills.
- They take the garbage to landfills and buried it in the ground.
- Americans threw away more than 251 million pounds of garbage in 2006.
- Land pollution is anything that damages or contaminates the land.
- Sometimes chemicals from the trash can contaminate the soil and eventually the groundwater we need for drinking.
- Scientists predict that it could take a glass bottle about 1 million years to biodegrade and that some materials like styrofoam will never biodegrade.
- Many materials that end up as waste contain toxic substances.
- Over time these toxins leach into our soil and groundwater and become environmental hazards for years.
- The environmental problems caused by landfills are numerous.
- Then we have to find new places to throw trash
- Americans take up 5% of the world population and throw away 30% of the worlds trash
- Americans throw away enough garbage everyday to fill 63,000 garbage trucks, which if lined up end to end for an entire year would stretch half way to the moon.
- In a lifetime, the average American will personally throw away 600 times his or her body weight, which for an average adult would leave a legacy of 90,000 pounds of trash at the end of their lifetime.