Clemens Crossing Cougar Comments
January 5, 2018 - VOLUME 39, ISSUE 14
Events Coming Up
- 10 - PTA Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- 12 - Spirit Day Kick-Off #1: Super Hero Day
- 12 - Otto the Auto (Kindergarten), 9:00 a.m.
- 15 - Schools Closed - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- 17 - Family Fit Night, 6:00 p.m. (snow date 1/24)
- 17 - CCES Community Outreach, 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. - CCES Cafeteria
- 18 - Clarksville MS 6th Grade orientation, 6:30 p.m.
- 19 - Change Matters Presentation during lunch shifts
- 19 - Geography Bee, 2:30 p.m.
- 22 - The Great Kindness Challenge Starts
- 22 - Change Matters Collection starts for Grassroots Homeless Shelter
- 22 - Spirit Day #2: Crazy or Colorful Sock Day
- 23 - PTA Restaurant Night at Grotto's Pizza
- 23 - Spirit Day #3: Kindness Counts - wear something with numbers
- 23 - Wilde Lake MS 6th Grade Orientation, 7:00 p.m.
- 23 - Dr. Martirano Town Hall Meeting at OMHS, 7:00 p.m.
- 24 - Spirit Day #4: Wild About Kindness - dress like an animal or wear animal print
- 24 - Family Fit Night snow date
- 25 - Spirit Day #5: Respecting Differences - wear clothes with different patterns or colors
- 25 - Winter Concert - Strings, 6:30 p.m. & Band, 7:30 p.m. (also Live on Twitter)
- 26 - Spirit Day #6: We Can Work Out Problems - dress in work-out clothes
- 26 - End of Second Quarter
- 26 - Early Dismissal, 12:45 p.m.
- 31 - In School Banking, 9:00 a.m.
From School Administration
We were glad to usher in the new year with our 551 students returning on January 3rd! Albeit a few sleepy faces, students and staff came back to school ready to embrace learning and launch into the new year! As always, thank you for entrusting us with your children. Having them back at school was a great way to "ring in" 2018!
I would like to personally thank all of the families and students that so generously and thoughtfully gave us holiday gifts and provided gifts to staff. Our office was flooded with baked goods, candies, gift cards, etc. I want to be sure to let our school community know how grateful I am personally, and how touched the staff and I were with your thoughtfulness. You definitely made our busy days and holiday a bit brighter with your gifts, and we are most appreciative!
It's been nearly three weeks since our last Cougar Comments. We have a lot of new information listed below in this newsletter as well as some reminders from our previous issues.
Winter Instrumental Music Concerts on Twitter/Periscope on January 25
Staff Spotlight - Mrs. Register
The Great Kindness Challenge is Coming
All students are invited to participate by giving their extra coins! The money we raise will go towards supporting this important service in our own neighborhood. This is a great opportunity for our students to respond to the needs of others, which teaches empathy and compassion.
Additionally, we are going to have a fun spirited week during The Great Kindness Challenge. Each day is designated as a spirit day with a theme (see below).
For more information on The Great Kindness Challenge, please visit: www.greatkindnesschallenge.org. Thank you in advance for helping to create a culture of kindness and compassion in our community and beyond!
Official Great Kindness Challenge 2017 Newsreel
Updated Arrival/Dismissal Procedures -RIGHT TURN ONLY In & Out of Car Loop
We witness many near accidents on a daily basis during Arrival and Dismissal.
Therefore, to help create a safer and more efficient arrival and dismissal, all cars must make a right-hand turn entering and exiting the car loop/parking lot between 9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. and
3:40 p.m. - 3:55 p.m.
Please adjust your morning and/or afternoon routine and route if needed.
If you drop-off or pick-up your child in the car loop, please follow the procedures listed below.
Please relay this information with daycare providers and other family members who pick-up or drop off children.
Wilde Lake Middle School Orientation
WLMS will be holding an orientation for the parents of our incoming 6th Graders on Tuesday, January 23rd from 6:30 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. Additional information for parents of students in the GT (Gifted and Talented) Program will begin immediately following the general orientation. Staff will be present to give an overview of WLMS programs and answer questions. The snow date will be January 30th, same time. We hope to see you here for this information session.
Road to Kindergarten January 24-29, 2018
Do you have a child who will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018?
Is there a family in the neighborhood who has a child who will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018?
Please join us for an information session about Kindergarten in the Howard County Public School System.
At this workshop you will learn:
- Expectations for school readiness (and receive a Ready for Kindergarten toolkit).
- Details about the kindergarten program.
- Information about HCPSS kindergarten registration.
- Ways that families and children can be supported during the transition to kindergarten.
Choose a session that is convenient for you. No registration required.
Child care is available at each session for children ages 2 and older;
the session is designed for adults only. Doors open at 6 p.m. to allow time for parking, child care drop off, and check-in.
If Howard County public schools are closed for inclement weather, the session is canceled.
All sessions will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, January 24
Oakland Mills High School, 9410 Kilimanjaro Road, Columbia
Thursday, January 25
Centennial High School, 4300 Centennial Lane, Ellicott City
Monday, January 29
Hammond High School, 8800 Guilford Road, Columbia 21046
For more information, please visit our “Getting Ready for Kindergarten” page
Families in the River's Edge neighborhood will need to go to Pointers Run Elementary School to register for Kindergarten.
No Change in Start and Dismissal Time for 2018-19 School Year
Front Office Notes
Early Dismissal Reminder
before 3:15 p.m.
Current Contact Information
Recently, we have had several incidents where we have tried to reach parents and found that either their voice mail box was full or not set-up to receive messages. We also had several situations where the emergency number(s) we have on file is/are no longer in service. We would appreciate it if you could take a moment and make sure of the following:
1. Please have a voice mail box in place that can receive messages. If need be, please clear the messages currently in your mailbox so that your mailbox can receive new messages.
2. Please take a moment and update any emergency numbers that may need to be updated.
Siblings During Lunch, Recess, and Classroom Visits
While we do allow siblings to accompany parents during lunch, we do not recommend it. Younger children should be closely monitored by the parent at all times and they should not interfere with the operations of the lunch shift.
Siblings are not permitted at recess or in the classrooms.
Visiting or Picking-up Students at CCES
All visitors to Clemens Crossing must bring a driver’s license and sign in with our LobbyGuard visitor management system. Details regarding this mandatory process are explained in Superintendent Michael Martirano’s blog.
Additionally, we require a picture ID when you pick-up your child early from school.
Animals on School System Property Including Arrival and Dismissal
Feedback From the CCES Community
The electronic feedback form below goes directly to Mr. Cosentino, Clemens Crossing Principal. For any urgent issues, call the school at (410) 313-6866 or email Mr. Cosentino directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your feedback!
Fit Family Night
Mark your calendars for a free family wellness event:
Clemens Crossing's Family Fit Night!
January 17, 2018 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
Highlights include Martial Arts, Yoga, Zumba, kid-friendly Boot Camp, Wellness Tables, Parent Nutrition Workshop and a Dance Party Finale!!
Registration Link below!
Community Service Event During Family Fit Night
Please come help put together snack mixes to put in bags to donate to Grassroots.
Please sign up to bring an item or two. Use the link below to sign-up and help.
Date: 01/17/2018 (Wed.) Time: 6:00pm - 7:30pm EST Location: CCES Cafeteria
Great Wolf Lodge Discount for CCES Families! Deadline Jan 26!
Thinking of taking a mini-vacation at Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg? For a limited time, there is a block of rooms available the weekend of March 9-11 (family suites that sleep 6) for Clemens Crossing Families. Reservations must be made by January 26.
The discount rate is $159.00/night/room ($211.78/night/room after tax and service fees).
Use discount code 0318CLEM.
This link contains community notices are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Howard County Public School System.