FOURTH GRADE NEWS
November 19, 2015
Welcome to Fourth Grade
A huge thank you to all of our families for the contributions to the canned food drive! The students have been enthusiastic about donating in order to possibly see one of their teachers dressed as a turkey and a grade level popcorn party. Check out Twitter tomorrow to see which teacher comes dressed as a Thanksgiving friend. The contest ends Friday, however donations can still be made until December 2nd.
We hope everyone has a safe, fun-filled Thanksgiving Break! When we return from the break students will begin taking the middle of the year MAP assessments. Math MAP will begin 11/30, Reading and Language Usage will begin 12/7, and Science MAP will occur after the winter break. As with any school day we encourage students to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast
An amazing opportunity is coming to the Skaggs Library on December 16th & 17th sponsored by the Skaggs PTA. Our students will be fully engaged for over 90 minutes in hands-on technology experiences! iCode is an after-school program that focuses on computer science, robotics, and technology. iCode's programs are based on a comprehensive approach to STEAM education (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) where children learn in a fun and dynamic environment.
After the Thanksgiving break students will be reading "When I Went to the Library." Students will using the texts throughout the week to practice generating questions in order to create inferences while reading. The spelling pattern for the week will focus on the r-controlled vowels using -er, -ir, and -ur.
We will continue to to develop proficiency multiplying a 2-digit number by a 2-digit number using an expanded algorithm and the standard algorithm. Please continue to work on basic multiplication and division facts with your student. The multiplication assessment will be Monday, Dec. 14th.
Science and Social Studies
After the break, we are embarking on a scientific journey to learn about the various forms of energy, the work of electrical engineers, and the many ways people harness electricity.They also develop an understanding of electrical conductors and insulators, technology, and engineering that can help improve a design. Students are exposed to the "Engineering Design Process" which is a series of steps that can be used to solve problems.
From the Teachers
- Science Fair is coming to Skaggs! If your child is interested in participating please send in the student letter as soon as possible in order to receive the handbook. Student Letters can be found on the fourth grade website. Projects are due to school by Wednesday, January 13th. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- 40 Books in 40 Days: Each child has been given a challenge by Mrs. Geiler, our librarian, to read 40 books in 40 days. The challenge ends December 16th! Each week teachers will tally up the total number of books read by our classes. At the end of the challenge the grade level with the highest percentage of books read will earn a prize! Please see below for further information.
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic devices. Electronic devices are being used in all subject areas along with music and art.
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- 11/20 Word Masters Meet #1
- 11/23-11/27 Thanksgiving Break
- 12/1 Math MAP testing begins
- 12/7 Reading & Language Usage MAP testing begins
- 12/9 PACE referral packets due- see the parent website for a packet link.