August 12, 2022
- Aug. 12: Class Assignments posted on ParentVue by 3:30 pm
- Aug. 15: 1st grade Sneak Peak (last name A-H 8:00-8:45; I-P 9:00-9:45; Q-Z 10:00-10:45)
- Aug. 15: Meet the Teacher and Supply Drop-Off @ 3-4 pm
- Aug. 16: First Day of School (Kindergarten on staggered start)
- Aug. 19: New Family Orientation and @ 9:00 am, Flex Room
- Aug. 30: 5th grade Orientation Meeting, 5:30-7:00 pm, Gym
- Sept. 6: Kindergarten Orientation, 5-6 pm
- Sept. 7: 1st grade Orientation, 5-6 pm/ 3rd grade Orientation, 6-7 pm
- Sept. 8: 4th grade Orientation, 5-6 pm/ 2nd grade Orientation, 6-7 pm
- Sept. 16: NO SCHOOL, Staff Work Day
- Sept. 21: Picture Day
- Sept. 23: Fall Fun Festival, 4:30-7:00 pm
- Sept. 24: Werner Jazz Cat Choir @ Colorado Rockies Game
- Sept. 30: Community Football Classic @ Canvas Field, 7-9 pm
NEWS FROM WERNER
Werner School Supply Lists
Parents will be able to access your student’s homeroom teacher by 3:30 pm on August 12 through ParentVue. Log in to your ParentVUE account, select your student if you have more than one in PSD, on the left-hand side click on class schedule. This will bring up your student’s homeroom teacher. Please note that you will need to acknowledge receipt of the PSD Code of Conduct when entering ParentVUE for the first time this school year.
Our class placement process is a rigorous and our staff have worked very hard over the spring/summer to balance classrooms. We know that you may not get the teacher you want, but please know that all of our teachers are excellent and will provide a quality education for your child.
Meet the Teacher Supply Drop-Off
Our annual Supply Drop-Off will be held on Monday, August 15 from 3:00-4:00 pm. You may enter through the main entrance or outside classroom door. Students will have the opportunity to drop off supplies and meet their teacher. If you ordered school supplies through EPI, they will be placed on your child's desk. Afterwards, you can take time to connect with families on Werner playground. Kindergarten and 1st grade will schedule separate times for their Back-to-School events. They will communicate separately.
First Day of School
The first day for elementary students is Tuesday, August 16 for 1st-5th grade students. Kindergarten will be operating on a staggered start.
Werner New Family Orientation-August 19 @ 9:00 a.m.
Come meet other new families and learn more about Werner and our PTA. We will meet in the Flex Room after the start of school. Call the office (488-5550) if you have questions.
Start and End times will be 8:50 am-3:28 pm. Students should not arrive before 8:30 am. If you need before/after school care, please check with AlphaBEST.
Our Werner Weekly is the best source for information about what’s happening with Werner, our PTA, and PSD. This will come by email each Friday and is on our school website. We utilize School Messenger and ParentVue for communication from PSD and Werner (email, phone, text). Please call the office (488-5550) if you have questions. It is important to keep your contact info updated to receive these. Our website is in another source of information about Werner. You can also see communication on our Facebook, Instagram, PTA Facebook and Twitter.
School Meals for 2022-23
For the upcoming 2022-23 school year, students will no longer receive free meals unless they have been approved for the Free and Reduced Meals program. This is a change from this year (the 2021-22 school year) with free meals being offered to all PSD students. The program that helped make that possible (related to the pandemic) is ending. The cost for students is $1.50 for breakfast and $3.15 for lunch. For the 2022-23 school year, families must apply and be approved for the Free and Reduced Meals program to receive benefits. Applications for the 2022-23 school year will be accepted beginning Thursday, July 21st.
Bus Request Update
Attention: Beginning July 15th, PSD is no longer accepting registrations for busing services in the 2022-23 school year for students who are returning to the district. Requests for existing students will reopen on August 15th, 2022. Are you a parent/guardian of a student or students who is/are new to PSD? Please submit your registration, and the PSD Transportation Department will work to evaluate your request. Have questions? E-mail Transportation.
Before/After School Child Care
If your student needs care before or after school, check out AlphaBEST. They offer care from 6:30 am to the start of school and from dismissal to 6:00 pm.
Code of Conduct
Please review the note down below (under News from PSD) or from an email sent on July 20 regarding steps to acknowledge our district's Code of Conduct. When you enter ParentVUE for the first time this year, you will need to complete that step in order to access it.
Students are encouraged to wear lightweight clothing and and to have a water bottle and drink throughout the day. Please encourage your child to let their teacher know when they are feeling warm.
- Staff are expected to keep their exterior doors closed throughout the day after school begins. Please remind your child not to let an adult in from the exterior door.
- All adults need identification while on the school grounds during school hours. You must check in at the main office and have a govt. issued form of identification to receive a volunteer/visitor badge.
- We will be locking the gates on the east fence each day after school begins and before school ends. This is a standard procedure in PSD.
- For more information, go to the PSD Safety and Security page on the PSD website.
IMPORTANT HEALTH REMINDERS FOR THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR
Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed childcares to be vaccinated against certain diseases, unless an exemption is filed. Please provide an updated immunization record to us or complete an exemption.
There are two ways to file a nonmedical exemption:
- File the certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider OR
- File the certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of our online education module.
- Parents of students in grades K‐12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must file one annually.
- Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30 each year. If you submit a nonmedical exemption on or before June 30, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you signed the exemption during early registration.
Downloadable Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption:
Your child is unique. Please give us the details that will help us be of assistance to your child at school. If he/she has a health concern, contact your school nurse or health technician.
Information you provide will be reviewed by the school nurse and a Health Care Plan may be
Medication at School
All medication given at school, whether doctor prescribed or over the counter, must be
accompanied by the PSD Authorization to Administration Medicine form (available on the PSD website under the Parent tab, Health Services), signed by both the parent/guardian and the physician. Medication must be provided and brought to school by a parent, in the original
prescription bottle or over the counter container. Pharmacists may provide you with two
bottles if you ask them to label one for school use. If medication changes or medication is
discontinued during the school year, please have the child’s doctor fax us the new or correct
Authorization for medication administration MUST BE COMPLETED YEARLY and health care
plans updated annually.
Last tip on school meds: PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE MEDICINE YOU SEND FOR USE AT SCHOOL HAS NOT EXPIRED.
It is important that we have your home and work phone numbers, as well as emergency
contact(s) and phone numbers(s). Should your child become ill or hurt while at school, we
MUST be able to reach you. If changes occur during the school year, please notify the school
(970) 488-5550 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynne Ryan, RN
(970) 556-5908 or email@example.com
School Lunch and Fee Payment Information
Paying for school fees and/or lunches is easy using SchoolPay. Below is the link for signing your student up, paying fees and/or adding funds to your student’s meal account.
PSD offers an easy and secure way to make payments to your child’s school on-line with a credit/debit card for fees and other charges as well as your child’s meal account through the District’s payment portal, SchoolPay.* The Pay Fees/Charges web page has information and instructions on paying fees and other charges online or go directly to the SchoolPay website.
Fees may also be paid in person at your child's school, paying with cash or check.
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Procedures
- School begins at 8:50 am. Students may arrive no earlier than 8:30 am.
- Make sure students are prepared to immediately exit with their backpack, etc.
- Students should exit the passenger side of the car if dropped off in Drop-Off Lane.
- Keep pulling forward in the drop-off lane until you get near the front entrance.
- Students will proceed directly to the classroom door and may leave their backpack and go play on the playground.
- Breakfast will be available in the cafeteria and students will go through the office to access cafeteria. Breakfast begins at 8:30 am.
- Parents may walk their students up to the building if they need assistance (please park in appropriate areas). If you need to assist your very young child out, please park in south parking lot, or along surrounding streets (Roma Valley, Highcastle, or Mail Creek)
- Students arriving after 8:50 will need to enter through the main office.
- If your student rides their bike, please remind them to walk it while on school grounds.
· Students are dismissed at 3:28 p.m.
· Students will walk out exterior classroom door to where you have agreed to pick them up (Pick-Up Lane in South Parking Lot, Highcastle Lane parking area, Roma Valley Lane, Mail Creek Lane north of school).
· If you are picking up in the Pick-Up Lane, please wait patiently in your car and keep pulling forward. Please do not get out of your car. If you have difficulty finding your student, please find a staff member. Staff will be on duty to help direct students. Staff will help student find you and get in the car on the passenger side.
· If you are parked along one of the surrounding streets, parents may wait on school grounds after 3:20 pm. (Please note, there is no parking along Mail Creek Lane adjacent to the parking lots.)
Please do not drop-off or pick-up in the north parking lot unless you have a disability parking placard. This lot is for staff parking and buses.
Be patient, understanding, and kind. Our staff will do our best to load kids safely and efficiently into cars.
Safe Routes to School-Walkers/Bikers
Back-to-School Parent Orientation Meetings
Classroom Teachers will host Back-to-School nights on the following dates/times:
- Aug. 30- 5th grade/Eco Trip Info @ 5:30-7:00 pm, Werner Gym
Sept. 6- Kindergarten @ 5:00 pm
Sept. 7- 1st grade @ 5:00 pm and 3rd grade @ 6:00 pm
Sept. 8- 4th grade @ 5:00 pm and 2nd grade @ 6:00 pm
The purpose of these times is to orient parents to the grade level curricular program and expectations. We look forward to seeing you attend these important nights. This meetings are for parents only.
Save the Date- Werner Choir @ Colorado Rockies Game-Sept. 24
The Werner Jazz Cats Choir have been selected to sing at the Colorado Rockies Game on September 24th.
We will be a part of the Colorado Rockies Fall Choir Day including 200-400 elementary students from around Colorado.
Report time for the students will be an hour before the game (approx. 5:00) at a designated location inside the ballpark.
Everyone (including your choir student) will need a ticket. Tickets can be purchased at www.rockies.com/CHOIR. This website is set up for the Spring Choir Day right now, and it will update for the fall within the next couple of weeks.
There will be a specific button for Werner, and each ticket purchased through our school’s button will include a $2 kickback to Werner Elementary.
Feel free to invite all your family, friends and neighbors! We would love to see the entire school community and beyond supporting our choir and enjoying the game!
Werner Spirit Gear Drive-Open until August 29
NEWS FROM WERNER PTA
Werner Weekly-August 12
PTA General Meeting
Tuesday, September 13 | 9:00 am | Werner Teacher Lounge
Save the Date for our first General Meeting of the year! You do not have to be a member to attend meetings.
School Supply Drop Off
Monday, August 15 | 3:00 pm
Sign up for the PTA! We’ll have a table where Werner Grown-ups can sign up to join the PTA and collect a free yard sign. Students and families can enjoy an ice-cold Otter Pop! Come by and say “Hi!” after you drop off your supplies and meet your teacher.
Join the Werner Elementary Parent Teacher Association!
Receive a Wildcat’s Roar yard sign as a FREE GIFT when you register with our PTA! Membership is a $10 donation and does not obligate you to volunteer hours or to attend meetings. We'd love your support any way you can give it. Please fill out this Google form and submit your donation with our PayPal link (you don’t have to have a PayPal account). we'll be handing out the signs on the playground at the School Supply Drop Off, Monday, August 15th. (Registration is per person, not per household)
PTA Host’s the FALL FUN FEST!
Friday, September 23rd | 4:00 pm | Werner Elementary Playground
Save the Date! Our most popular event of the year. You won’t want to miss it!
FREE MONEY FOR YOUR SCHOOL!
Did you know there are ways to donate money to the school by doing things you already do?
If you shop at King Soopers with a loyalty card they will donate to Werner when you sign up here.
If you shop on Amazon, you can sign up for Amazon Smile and they will donate 1% of purchases.
If you like to eat out, the PTA hosts Werner Dines Out once a month and the restaurants we partner with will donate back to the school.
Your Werner PTA
Follow us on Facebook to stay engaged with School Events, Werner Families, and see what the PTA is up to.
Thank you for supporting the Werner Elementary PTA!
PTA President | Nicole Kidd
PTA Vice President | Open
PTA Treasurer | Patti Haswell
PTA Secretary | Juliana Schump
PTA VP of Community Programs | Marissa McNulty
PTA VP of Fundraising | Megan Bright
There Is No Wrong Way To PTA. How Do You PTA?
NEWS FROM PSD
Code of Conduct Acknowledgement
July 20, 2022
Dear PSD parents/guardians and secondary students,
We hope you have enjoyed the summer break so far and that you are looking forward to the start of the new school year in a few short weeks.
Each year, we ask our parents/guardians and secondary students to provide a digital acknowledgement after reviewing the updated Student Rights and Code of Conduct, which is a compilation of rules, policies and regulations regarding student behavior.
The 2022-23 Code of Conduct is now available on the PSD website in multiple languages.
How to complete your digital acknowledgement
- Log into the ParentVUE parent portal.
- Read the Acknowledgement text box.
- Click on the link at the bottom of the page to download the 2022-2023 Code of Conduct.
- Write your name on the signature field exactly as it appears on your ParentVUE account.
- Click “Yes.”
- Parents/guardians will not be given access to ParentVUE until they electronically sign the acknowledgment.
Parents of secondary students (6-12)
- Your student will also be asked to acknowledge having received and reviewed the Code of Conduct when logging into StudentVUE for the first time this school year.
- Families new to PSD or those who have never accessed their ParentVUE account will receive a separate email with instructions for how to log into ParentVUE.
- If you have questions regarding ParentVUE or StudentVUE, see the ParentVUE FAQ or contact your school.
Changes to be aware of
- A summary of changes to the Code of Conduct, from the 2021-22 to 2022-23 school year editions, is available on the Code of Conduct web page.
- Although not included in the Code of Conduct, new and updated district policies are now noted specifically on the District Policies web page.
Please contact your school principal if you have questions about the Code of Conduct.
Thank you for your continued partnership, and we look forward to a successful start to the 2022-23 school year.
Poudre School District
PSD Now Newsletter
One of many ways information is shared is through the PSD Now community newsletter, which features timely information about the latest happenings in the district. This is emailed to families and interested community members about every other Thursday.
Here is the most recent newsletter of PSD Now. For archived newsletters and information about how to sign up, go to: https://www.psdschools.org/department/communications.
FREE & REDUCED MEAL PROGRAM
It’s not too late to apply for the Free & Reduced Meal Program for this school year. By doing so your student’s approval to the program carries over for the first 30 days of next school year. Also, there are advantages to being on this program with discounts given throughout our community for student summer programs. Check out fcgov.com/reducedfee website for more information. The before and after school program, AlphaBest, also gives a 15% discount. Apply on-line at www.myschoolapps.com. Please note that August 1, 2022 is the first day you can apply on line for the 2022-2023 school year. Families do have to apply each school year unless they receive a letter stating otherwise.