March 12. 2021
Daylight Savings Begins on Sunday
Remember to turn your clocks ahead one hour!
March 13- Conference Sign-Ups Begin
March 14-Daylight Savings Begins-Turn your clock ahead one hour
March 15-Firefly of the week recognition begins
March 18-Resilience Day
March 18- Early Dismissal 11:30-Parent/Teacher Conferences/ No Burlington Kids
March 19- No School- Parent/Teacher Conferences
March 24- Principal Coffee -8:15-9AM
April 1- Flynn PTO Meeting-6PM
April 19-23- Spring Break-No School
May 6- Early Release School ends at 11:30 am/ No Burlington Kids
Flynn School First Graders Learn about the Moon!
The Flynn School First Graders have started a new science unit about, “The Moon.” We are learning about the phases of the moon and why the moon looks like it changes shape over time. We will be reading and writing about the moon and making our own observations. We will be integrating an engineering activity called the “Lunar Landing.” Each first grader will design a zipline vehicle that will land in a moon crater. Stay tuned for pictures! Please see this cool link to all of the phases of the moon.
Below are a few book titles to read to your child.
JJ Flynn School Spirit Store!
Our JJ Flynn School Spirit store is live! If you would like to order a school logo wear there are t-shirts, long-sleeve shirts and hoodies available is youth and adult sizes.
You can order your school logo wear by visiting:
Firefly Art Work
Scheduling for our March 18th and 19th Parent Teacher Conferences has begun for all families . Please use the following link to begin the scheduling process:
Please know that all conferences this March will be held virtually, using Google Meet. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions link below for more information related to virtual conferences using Google Meet.
Frequently asked questions can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/flynnptcsupport
If needed, please call the school office, 864-8478 for assistance.
Scheduling Parent/Guardian-Teacher Conferences
Flynn will continue to use the electronic scheduling system, PTC Fast, to schedule our March 2021 Parent-Teacher Conferences. This system will allow you to select the teacher(s) with whom you would like to conference. By registering your email address, you will be able to view and select conference times that work for you.
What if you need to schedule multiple conferences (more than one child at Flynn)?
You should select (check) all teachers with whom you need to conference from the list of available teachers. You will then be prompted to enter each child’s name for the corresponding teachers. When that is done, you can proceed with registering your email address. You will receive a link via email to access and view the teachers’ schedules. You will see all selected schedules at one time! Click here to begin scheduling:
Families that need to schedule a conference for only one child may begin scheduling conferences on Friday, March 12th.
Supporting documentation can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/flynnparentconferencehelp
If you are not able to access this system and need help, please call the Flynn office (864-8478) to schedule a conference appointment with our administrative assistant, Karen Priebe.
Frequently Asked Questions
PTC FAST and Flynn Elementary School
Parent Teacher Conference Scheduling Support
JJ Flynn Elementary uses a system for Parent Teacher Conference scheduling called PTC Fast. This system allows the parent/guardian to select the teacher(s) with whom he/she would like to conference and by registering an e-mail address, view and select a desired conference time(s). Please see below for some frequently asked questions about this process.
Q. Where do I go to schedule my child’s conference?
Please visit the following web address which will contain a list of Flynn teachers. This link will also be available from within an announcement on the Flynn School web site home page: http://www.ptcfast.com/schools/John_J_Flynn_Elementary_School
Q. I tried to type in the address for accessing my teacher’s conference schedule, but I am getting an error. What did I do wrong?
A. You may have missed the underscores in the latter portion of the address. These underscores are not visible when the link is hot, as in the blue example above. You can copy and paste the following url into your browser’s address bar: http://www.ptcfast.com/schools/John_J_Flynn_Elementary_School
Q. What if I can’t access the Internet to schedule a conference?
A. If you are not able to access this system via the Internet, you may call the Flynn office at 864-8478 and schedule a conference appointment with Karen Priebe or you can contact your child’s teacher directly.
Q. What if I need to schedule multiple conferences (more than one child at Flynn)? A. If you have more than one child for whom you need to schedule, you should select (check) all teachers with whom you need to conference from the list of available teachers. You will then be prompted to enter the children’s names for the corresponding teachers. When that is done you can proceed with registering your email address. You will receive a link via email to access to view the teachers’ schedules. You will see all selected schedules at one time!!!
Q. What happens if I realize I cannot make the scheduled time and need to delete or reschedule my conference?
A. When you register your email address for the conference, PTC FAST sends an email (from Admin) with a link for scheduling. Another link and a parent code are provided for making changes to already scheduled conferences or for logging into the site if the scheduling link does not work for some reason.
Q. Will I be reminded of my conference from PTC Fast?
A. You will receive a confirmation email indicating that you have scheduled the conference and a reminder email 2 days before the conference date. Teachers may elect to send out additional reminders as needed.
Q. I went to the PTCFast web site, http://www.PTCfast.com , and I went to the Parent Sign-in page , but I do not have a code for my child.
A. When you register your e-mail address for the conference, PTC FAST sends an email (from Admin) with a link for scheduling. Another link and a parent code are provided for making changes to already scheduled conferences or for logging in to the site if the scheduling link does not work for some reason. Please use these links for making changes to your conference appointments.
Q. I signed up for an appointment. The system told me the appointment was made, but I have not gotten a confirmation email.
SOAR Summer Program
The Burlington School District is happy to be able to provide the S.O.A.R. (Summer Opportunities Academics & enRichment) Program this summer. In this program, participants will gain critical reading and math skills through five weeks of high-quality project-based academic offerings and theme-based enrichment activities, all designed to prevent summer learning loss.
The program is open to students currently in kindergarten through grade five who meet one or more of the following criteria:
● below standard in math or literacy, or
● eligible for free or reduced school lunch, or
● receive Title, English Learner or Special Education services.
DATES / TIMES / LOCATION:
● June 28 - July 29
● Monday - Thursday, 9AM - 1PM
● C.P. Smith Elementary School
● S.O.A.R. is a FREE program.
● Breakfast and lunch served.
● Transportation is available
CRITICAL HEALTH DETAILS:
● Daily health checks will occur for all students and staff
● Masks will be required for all students and staff
● Staff will remain with the same group for the duration of the program
Registration is through PowerSchool
Registration deadline: APRIL 2nd
Completion of registration form does not guarantee enrollment in the program.
Families will be notified of acceptance in mid-April. A waitlist will be established if needed
PowerSchool Registration Instructions:
If you have a PowerSchool Account:
1. Sign in to PowerSchool: https://psapp.bsdvt.org/public/home.html (Note that this cannot be done using the PowerSchool App. Computers are available at all schools for parents/guardians to access.)
2. Look for your student’s name on the bar in the upper left corner, click on their name, click “Forms” on the left side menu.
3. Scroll down to the S.O.A.R. section of forms and click on the “Welcome and Information” form to begin the application process.
4. Fill in all information on all forms to submit the application. Be sure to click “Submit” at the bottom of all forms. The red bar to the right of the S.O.A.R. section will turn fully green when all sections have been completed.
5. You will need to complete a separate application for each student. If the names of your other students do not appear, call the school and ask for their “Access ID and Access Password”. Then, in PowerSchool, go to:
a. "Account Preferences" on the menu on the left side,
b. Click on "Students",
c. Click "Add Student",
d. Enter your student's name, their Access ID and Access Password,
e. Select your relationship to the student through the Relationship drop down
f. You may now select the student to complete a S.O.A.R. application
If you DO NOT have a PowerSchool Account:
1. Contact the school for an Access ID and Access Password for each student. The Access ID and Access Password are not the same as your PowerSchool Username and Password. The access information is used to add a student to your account. The username and password are used to log into PowerSchool.
2. Sign in to PowerSchool: https://psapp.bsdvt.org/public/home.html (Note that this cannot be done using the PowerSchool App. Computers are available at all schools for parents/guardians to access.)
3. Click on the “Create Account” tab, then click on the “Create Account” button.
4. There are two sections to this form. The top section is to enter your account details and the bottom section is to enter student information. Enter the information under the Parent Account Details.
5. Scroll down until you see the student fields. Enter your student’s name, then enter the Access ID and Access Password below.
6. If you are applying for more than one student, you will need a separate Access ID and Access Password for each student.
7. Once you have completed the steps above, click “Enter”. This will bring you back to the Student and Parent Sign-In Page, where you will enter your new username and password.
8. Follow the steps above to complete the S.O.A.R. application(s).
Burlington Youth Lacrosse Registration is Open!
Burlington Youth Lacrosse - a nonprofit committed to providing kids the opportunity to be a great teammate, have fun, and learn a healthy/fast-growing sport. We are planning - with safety precautions in place - to start our season as usual on April 1.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN
Please sign up for boys and girls in grades 3rd-8th at Burlington Youth Lacrosse.
WE NEED NEED COACHES AND NONPROFIT BOARD MEMBERS
Our coaches and board members are positive, supportive, and makes things fun. If that's you or sounds like someone you know, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about becoming a coach or board member.
Please help us spread the word about this great experience for our kids.
Thank you and stay safe!
Burlington Parent and Coach of Girls 10U
Our mailing address is 110 Main Street, Burlington, VT 05401.
We hope you won't, but you can unsubscribe from this list here.