Hope Valley School WEEKLY UPDATE
Friday, April 30, 2021
Calendar of Events
5/5 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK PM (students dismissed at 12:40)
5/10 - SIT Meeting at 4:00
5/10 - PTO Meeting at 6:30
5/12 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK AM (students dismissed at 12:40)
5/13 - SEAC Meeting (Agenda is below)
5/17 - STATE PD DAY - All students have an asynchronous day
5/19 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK PM (students dismissed at 12:40)
5/26 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK AM (students dismissed at 12:40)
5/31 - Memorial Day - No School
6/2 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK PM (students dismissed at 12:40)
6/9 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK AM (students dismissed at 12:40)
6/11 - Chariho Graduation
6/16 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK PM (students dismissed at 12:40)
6/22 - 4th Grade Send-Off (see message below if you want to help organize the event)
6/23 - Early Release Day for K-4 & PreK AM (students dismissed at 12:40)
6/23 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
Attestation Self-Check Site: https://ps.chariho.k12.ri.us/public/
May and June Activities
At the last PTO meeting, there was a discussion about having some fun activities the last two months of school. Some of the ideas we have are:
- "May the Force (4th) be with you" - This is a famous day for so many Star Wars fans. Classrooms may choose to do their own thing for this day but I will offer teachers an activity to "create your own droid" which can be done at school or at home with a parent. As an FYI...I am probably in the minority when I say this but I have NEVER watched nor had the inkling to watch Star Wars. LOL. Give me sports any day but I know one thing, I am definitely not a sci-fi kind of person.
- Find the bitmoji of Mr. G throughout the school. Children will try to spot the image below throughout the school. If you recall, this was the image used in last year's virtual learning days where students took me along on their travels and posted pictures.
- Hope Valley Rocks - Members of the PTO are donating rocks for the students to paint and use for a rock garden. This will be done in school with Mrs. Difranco sometime in early June. The PTO is purchasing all the materials to make this happen. I'll be sure to post pictures when complete.
- Outdoor learning and activities - Teachers will be encouraged to take kids outdoors more frequently now that the weather is nice. I will plan a couple of my DJ parties for students since parents met the goal of 70% participation. I am still so grateful for families who took the time to complete SurveyWorks. Once the results are in I will share a summary.
- Scavenger Hunt – A scavenger hunt throughout Hope Valley is currently being planned by a small group of parents. Stay tuned for more information.
- Field Day - Field day will certainly look different this year. Mr. Gargaro and I will be meeting next week to discuss. Stay tuned.
- 4th Grade Send-off - This too will look vastly different. More details to come out to 4th grade families in May.
Find Mr. G Activity
Mr. G's DJ Wardrobe and Strobe Light...courtesy of the HV Staff
2021-2022 School Calendar
IMPORTANT NOTE: The first day of school for students will be Thursday, September 2nd. We will have school on Friday the 3rd as well, which will lead to a 4-day Labor Day weekend. Students will be back in school on September 8. I like the set-up of the calendar because the transition will be smooth for all students. We start with a 2-day week, followed by a 3-day week, and then a typical 5-day week. Also to note, we will keep monthly early release days (in yellow) and 3 state PD days (in blue).
Special Education Advisory Committee
From your Superintendent
Here is the May E-Update from the Superintendent
As a reminder, if your child is registered for in-person learning the only time they should be accessing distance learning (DL) is if they have symptoms, are in quarantine/isolation, their class/district/school is placed on distance learning per the district/school administration or the child was registered for DL as their learning scenario.
Life Changer Award
Life Changer of the Year!
Did you know that Hope Valley School has NOT 1, NOT 2 but 3, yes, 3 teacher’s who have been nominated for the life changer of the year award?!!!
This is a nationwide award with over 700 nominees. In the next few months those 700 will be narrowed down to the final 16. The 16 winners will get a stipend for the school and also for themselves! You can help our Hope Valley Community by taking a minute to see what people have to say about these amazing educators and perhaps leaving a comment of your own! Click on the nominees name or scan the QR code! You can also help by mentioning these teachers on twitter or facebook using the hashtag #LCOY
You can click right on the teacher's picture below and it will take you to the teacher's page so you can leave a comment or click on the links directly below.
Support Mrs. Mankoff
Support Mrs. Abbott
Support Mrs. Mello
Social Media Outlets
About Hope Valley Elementary School
The mission of the Hope Valley Elementary School is to work in partnership with our colleagues, students and families. We are committed to creating a learning environment where children are expected to achieve their full potential.