To Kill a Mockingbird
A novel by Harper Lee
By Alayah Trammell
- Genre: Historical Fiction
- Number of pages: 323
- Jean Louise "Scout" Finch- Narrorator, Protagonist father is Atticus finch. Brother is Jeremy Finch. Her age ranges from 6-9 in the overall story. Assumed age of narration is when she is an adult. She is considered a tomboy. Her First teacher, Miss Caroline, doesn't like the fact that she can already read and write and Scout gets in loads of trouble because of this.
- Jeremy "Jem" Finch- Overall story revolves around him and his sister Scout(Jean Louise). Aims on being a football player but is too skinny to play around the time he is old enough. He also wants to be a lawyer just like his father but changes his mind through the events played out in the story.
- Atticus Finch- He is father to Scout and Jem and he is a public defender in Maycomb county, where he resides with his two children. He is faced with a lot of problems his children are tormented and called"ni***r lovers". He is faced with the problem of defending negro Tom Robinson.
- Robert "Bob" Ewell- Antagonist, he makes his daughter, Mayella lie in front of the court in the trial against Tom Robinson. Bob Ewell beats on his daughter and on the night of the Halloween pageant, he attacks Scout and Jem out of spite of their father defending Tom Robinson. Lives near the town dump with lots of kids.
- Charles Baker"Dill" Harris- He is Scout's best friend. He is from Meridian, Mississippi he comes from there to visit every summer. Nobody in his family wants him so he gets passed from house to house. He abruptly leaves in the book and is not present for the rest of it.
- Mayella Violet Ewell- Father is Robert Ewell and she is of nineteen years of age. Robert made her lie in front of court about Tom Robinson raping her. But in all reality, she was the one that had seduced Mr. Robinson that night.
- Tom Robinson- He is the man that Atticus is faced to represent throughout the novel. He is crippled in his arm, for it go caught in a cotton gin when he was young. It is quite evident that he did not rape Miss Mayella. For it was her that was trying to seduce Mr. Robinson. Unfortunately, back in the south in 1935 justice was not distributed unto negroes as it would have been to whites. While he was in jail he attempted to run and was shot and killed.
- Calpurnia- She is the housekeeper of the Finch home and she is a member of the colored community. She lives near the Robinsons and she is friends with them. When Tom dies she helps out with the children while Toms wife, Helen is in shock.
- Arthur "Boo"Radley- Throughout the novel the children try to get Boo to come out of his house so they can see him. They discover that his real name is Arthur. By the very end of the novel they realize he is not mean or scary like everyone else says he is.
This story is told completely in flashback and takes place in the 1930s.
This is where Scout, Jem, Atticus and later on their Aunt Alexandra reside in Maycomb. Many important events take place in this household.
- One, summer Dill runs away from his home in Meridian.
- One day during school, they invite Walter Cunningham to their house for lunch.
- Another time is when their Aunt Alexandria comes to live with them
- And one evening a mob shows up to the house and tries to make Atticus back out of defending Tom Robinson.
Man v. Society
Man v. Man
This novel is told entirely in flashback, narrated by Jean Louise Finch as and adult. The story starts out when Dill Harris comes to meet scout and Jem. They are instant friends. The idea of making Boo Radely come out of his house is introduced by Dill. They would like to see if he is like all the neighborhood people say. They are warned by Atticus and told to stop. When Dill returns back to Meridian, Mississippi Scout has to go to first grade she is challenged by her teacher, Miss Caroline. Miss Caroline is upset by the fact that Scout knows how to read, she is convinced that her father taught her how to read. Scout is called mean names and bullied by kids because her father is defending a negro.
At Christmastime, Atticus takes his children to Finch's Landing, to spend time with family. Meanwhile Scout discovers that her father has taken he case. The next summer scout's Aunt Alexandra comes to live with them so Scout can become a "proper young lady". In the trial, Jem and Scout sit with the Negroes in the balcony, so their father wont see them there. Tom loses the case and is killed in jail trying to run away. Mr.Ewell threatens Atticus and his children a few times after that event. He actually takes action on those events and tries to kill Jem and Scout. He is the one that ends up dead and Boo Radely does it to protect the children.