Description of the amendment
- No person shall be held to answer for a capitalist or otherwise infamous crime,unless on presented or indictment of a grand jury except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia actual service in time of war public danger.
Amendment in own words
- Anybody shouldn't serve for the government. It doesn't have to do nothing with crime.
Court case and year
- Downam V United States (1963)
Explanation of the background of the case
- Downum the court trial ruled that in a trial Jeopardy begins as soon as a jury is sworn in.
Courts decision and its rationale
- Sometimes its hard in those cases because the jeopardy is doubled.
- Sometimes they get out of it and sometimes they dont
Source of supreme court case
- Fifth Amendment." Constitutional Amendments: From Freedom of Speech to Flag Burning. 2nd ed. Vol. 1. Detroit: UXL, 2008. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 10 Dec. 2015