May 16-May 22, 2016
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively & to think critically."
NAF IS A BIG DEAL!
The Science and Practice of Positive Psychology for Educators
In recent years there have been a significant increase in schools looking to apply the science of Positive Psychology in various formats and often under the guise of ‘Positive Education’. In the early days, school interest in Positive Psychology was typically driven as a response to mental health issues and was very much a reactive response. Today though, schools looking to apply the science of Positive Psychology are in the main doing so as a proactive strategy to enhance not only student wellbeing, but also staff and whole-school wellbeing.
Positive Psychology has been formally defined as the ‘scientific study of the conditions and processes that lead to optimal human functioning’. In a nutshell, that means that it looks to study what it means to truly flourish – a term that’s used extensively in the field. Strengths, mindfulness, gratitude, kindness, forgiveness are just a few of the topics that fall under the Positive Psychology umbrella.
Much has been written over the years, in both scientific and popular press, recognising the enormous stress experienced by teachers, yet historically an explicit focus on teacher wellbeing has not been a priority for schools. By adopting a 'Learn it, Live it, Teach it, Embed it' approach to the principles and key concepts of Positive Psychology, staff can be encouraged to enhance their own wellbeing first and foremost – applying tools, techniques and learnings to their own professional and personal lives – before extending the benefits out into their classrooms and school communities.
By beginning with school staff and ensuring their own personal wellbeing, schools can ensure that teachers and school leaders are well-positioned to help facilitate improvements in the wellbeing and mental health of those around them, including students. Improving the wellbeing of educators has the capacity to build and strengthen positive relationships across the school community, leading to a happier and healthier learning environment for all.
ACER and The Positivity Institute are currently presenting a series of one-day introductory workshops designed to give educators an overview and understanding of the foundational theories, models and key evidence-based interventions of Positive Psychology
For more information, or to register your interest in attending, please visit our Professional Learning page ►
Individualized P2LD Planning Doc
Summer Professional Learning & Development Agreement
IDEA is Federal Law...Let's Be Sure and Honor the Needs of Our SPED Students!
Conrad Feeder Pattern Foci
Listed below are items that our entire feeder works to make norms for every class in the Conrad Feeder Pattern.
- Progress Monitoring: Teacher-managed Profiling & Student-managed Profiling
- Differentiated Individualized Professional Development
- Data Driven Decisions and Instruction
- Graphic Organizer Utilization
- Justification of student responses (i.e. How do you know? Why? What does that mean? Explain, etc.)
- Scaffolding Instruction
- Differentiate Instruction, inclusive of Small Group Instruction/Instructional Stations
- No Opt Out, Think-Pair-Share, Cold Call
- Content Specific Writing
- Content Specific Reading
Monday, May 9
Tuesday, May 10
Tuesday 17th-Dance Show-6:30-7:15-Auditorium
Wednesday, May 11
Wednesday 18th-Band Concert-7:00-8:30-Audiotrium
Thursday, May 12
Thursday 19th-Orchestra Concert-7:45-8:30-Auditorium
Friday, May 13
Faculty/Staff vs. Student Basketball Game
Saturday, May 14
Announcements & Action Items
- Please post lesson plans in a visible place for visitors to access. (Remember lesson plans should reflect pacing by the minute for components within the lesson plan)
- Please be sure and review Mrs. Esparza's monthly calendar. If you have any events you would like added, see her in the front office.
- Please plan to support Conrad's Senior's by assisting with the graduation
- Pleas uncover all classroom door windows and keep doors unlocked.