- First Un-elected president
- Ford's name was submitted as a VP by Nixon
- Replaced Agnew when he resigned then replaced Nixon when he resigned
- Ford issued a full pardon of Nixon which instantly made him unpopular and respected (he was accused of having a "buddy deal")
- Helsinki Accords-July 1975, recognized Soviet boundaries and helped to ease tensions between the two nations
- End of the Vietnam War
- 1975-North Vietnamese made their full invasion of South Vietnam.
- President Ford wanted aid sent South Vietnam (congress rejected him)
- South Vietnam quickly fell.
- The last of Americans were evacuated on April 29, 1975.
- The United States had previously fought against the North but we saw it more advantageous to supply with South Vietnam with money and arms to fight their own war (so we wouldn't lose troops)
- estimated cost to America was $188 billion, with 56,000 dead and 300,000 wounded and even its pride
- Served 1 term**
Ford, Carter, and the Economic Malaise: Crash Course US History #42