East Side Press Family Newsletter
February 28, 2021
Model of Instruction Change
On Friday, February 19, the Wauwatosa School Board held a meeting to discuss returning Phase Into Learning students in grades 6-12 to five-day-per-week instruction on March 2, 2021 instead of the previously approved date of April 5, 2021. The Board approved this recommendation, and secondary students enrolled in Phase Into Learning in grades 6-12 will begin five-day-per-week instruction on Tuesday, March 2, 2021.
A full recording of the meeting has been published on the Wauwatosa School District YouTube channel.
Monday, March 1, 2021
There are no classes tomorrow, March 1st. It is not an asynchronous work day and students do not need to check in for attendance.
Conferences will be rescheduled to accommodate our shift to five-day instruction. Middle school conferences will be held on Tuesday, March 9 and Thursday, March 18. Montessori middle school families should follow the original communication sent from the school regarding conferences. High school conferences will be held on Thursday, March 11 and Tuesday, March 16.
Tosa Connected students in grades 6-12 will begin daily synchronous virtual instruction on Tuesday, March 2, 2021. Tosa Connected students will not be participating in in-person instruction in the school building, and they should follow their daily schedule (via Zoom) as indicated in Infinite Campus.
Early Release Wednesdays
Students will be released one hour earlier on Wednesdays to accommodate teacher planning and collaboration time. Starting on Wednesday, March 3, high school students will be released at 2:10 pm, middle school students will be released at 2:30 pm and elementary students will be released at 2:20 pm. This early-release schedule will continue every Wednesday through the remainder of the year.
We look forward to welcoming Phase Into Learning students in grades 6-12 back into our school buildings five days per week starting this Tuesday, March 2, 2021. You may contact members of the School Board by emailing email@example.com.
Virtual Parent-Teacher Conferences
Virtual parent-teacher conferences will be held on Thursday, March 11th and Tuesday, March 16th.
To sign up for a 10-minute conference with each of your student's teachers or counselor, please follow the instructions at this link (Tosa Connected Families: Sign up here). Sign-ups for each date will close one day prior.
You will receive a separate email the morning of each day’s conferences with a link to a spreadsheet containing the Zoom links for each teacher. You will click the link to meet with the teacher at the time and date you signed up for. You will be let into a waiting room and the teacher will let you in when they are ready.
**PLEASE NOTE: you must go to each department's tab to sign up! Not the first page**
Tosa Connected Families: Sign up here
Please let us know if you have any questions and thank you for signing up!
- Tosa East Administration
Student Locker Access and Use
As a reminder, students have access to lockers to store coats. Please keep in mind, in order to maintain as safe of an environment as possible, students will only access their lockers before and after school. Students will continue to share a locker (grades 9, 10, 11) with a partner of their choice.
Students are able to locate their locker number and combination in Infinite Campus in the student portal by following the steps below:
Locate the dropdown menu labeled “More” on the student portal page
Click this menu open and select “Lockers”
Locker number, combination and general descriptor of location will be listed.
Locker comb work...right, left, right, lift and pull
We are asking that the following procedures and expectations be followed by all students for locker use.
- Use only your assigned locker. Do not have additional students store items in your lockers.
- Use your locker only at the beginning and end of the day to drop off and pick up belongings. Students cannot access lockers during the school day.
- Locker stops are to be quick pick-ups and drop-offs. Students should not linger and talk with your locker partner or others in the halls.
- Be patient and take turns if students are using nearby lockers at the start or end of the day. Maintain social distancing and mask expectations when using lockers.
AP Research needs YOU (and your data)!
If you are willing to help us with this major feat, please refer to this document, which has links to studies in need of participants or instructions for how to help with a data collection process.
Please reach out to Ms. Sampson at firstname.lastname@example.org or the researcher listed in the document if you have specific questions about any of the research or data collection information. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!
Let's Go On A Goosechase!
Download the free app, "Goosechase" and open the game WAUWATOSAEAST. Complete missions alone or with a team of up to four classmates! Game runs February 26-March 12. Please practice social distancing, be kind and have FUN! Prizes will be awarded ('Tosa East swag, not cash).
Students can use the following troubleshooting steps if they have issues with login:
- Make sure the account is activated. The activation process is very simple and is demonstrated here.
- Make sure the student is not logged in to Zoom with another account.
- Check that the student is using the Zoom app (not just the website).
- Ensure the student is using the "Sign in with Google" button on the app.
Canvas Observer Accounts For Families
- Needing a little support with your Wauwatosa Virtual Academy (WVA) courses? Check out this resource sheet.
- Don't forget that our Academic Resource Center (ARC) staff is available to provide support. Please check out their schedule here.
- If you are unable to attend your live virtual class, please make sure that you call the East attendance line (414-773-2002) to report the absence.
The District is seeking volunteers for various virtual career-based learning experiences for our students. Complete the form if you are interested in sharing your industry expertise, your career story, the importance of a specific skill, etc.
Explore colleges at the Virtual WI Education Fair
Explore colleges from the comfort of home!
Register for the FREE virtual Wisconsin Education Fair (WEF) to find colleges, universities, military branches and specialty schools that you’re most interested in.
WEF Spring Dates:
- Wed., March 10
- Sun., April 4
To attend either of the upcoming WEFs, please register as a student. Once you’re registered, you’ll get to:
- Attend any of the virtual WEFs offered
- Filter through schools to find the ones you’re most interested in
- Live chat with college admission representatives to get your questions answered
- Attend an interactive financial aid session brought to you by College Goal Wisconsin
Senior Cap and Gown Orders -- What Do I Do If I Forgot?
Jostens has collected the in school orders for graduation materials. If you missed the opportunity, you can complete the order packet and send it directly to Jostens. There is also an online ordering opportunity. Please use the steps below to order items:
- Go to jostens.com and choose the tab for “Shop High School”
- Enter your correct school name and choose it. (Wauwatosa East High School)
- Choose the “Graduation Tab”
- From there you can go to available packages or scroll down to individual items
Virtual Peer Tutoring Program
With the help of upperclassmen, the Student Services Department is rolling out a Virtual Peer Tutoring Program. Hour-long tutoring sessions via Zoom are available at various times and days. If students have questions, they should reach out to their school counselor.
Student Services Team
Mrs. Bratcher - School Counselor
Mrs. Carter - School Counselor
Mr. Linscott - School Counselor
Ms. Merg - School Counselor
Ms. Phillips - School Social Worker
Ms. Schmidt - School Counselor Intern
Mrs. Morgan - Administrative Assistant
Mrs. Taylor - Career Center Coordinator
Interested in joining a club? Contact an advisor today!
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): Ms. Alizah Ross
- Amnesty International: Mr. McHugh or Mr. McDaniel
- Black Student Union (BSU): Mrs. Bratcher or Mrs. Keenan
- Book Club: Mrs. Hamilton-Parulski
- The Cardinal News (School Newspaper): Ms. Sampson or Ms. Salerno
- Chess Club: Mr. White
- DECA: Ms. Ann Ross
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA): Mr. Etter
- HOSA (Future Health Professionals): Mrs. Loving
- International Friendship Club: Ms. Schmidt
- Key Club: Mr. Olson
- Linguistics Club: Mr. Kolpin
- Philosophy Club: Mr. Kolpin
- Psychology Club: Ms. Dederich
- Student Council: Ms.Tierney
- Tosa East Environmental Club (TEEC): Ms. Oliver
- Tosa East Players: Ms. Jaskulski
- Yearbook: Ms. Dono
Library Resources Available
Students really enjoyed the memoir that was this year's All-City Read title: Call me American by Abdi Nor. I had the pleasure of hearing him speak virtually and talk about his story coming from Somalia to the United States.
Our high school library has many other memoirs too since that is a genre many teens like. Other titles I would suggest are I Am Malala, Educated, How Dare the Sun Rise, Courage to Soar, The Glass Castle, and Hillbilly Elegy.
Reminder: Spring Athletics Registration
Try-out/practice start dates for our Spring sports will be a little later this year than normal. The WIAA has given schools that opted out of fall sports a chance to have a mini fall season beginning in March.
Here are the start dates for this year:
- April 19: Boys & Girls Track, Softball, Baseball and Boys Golf
- April 26: Girls Soccer
- May 3: Boys Tennis
In order to be eligible to participate on the first day of your Spring sport practice, ALL student athletes must have each of the following:
- If this is your first sport of the school year, complete the registration process on the athletic website (http://tosaeastathletics.com) by clicking on the “More” button and then the Registration button and following the instructions given. If you have already created your parent account, simply add your Spring sport. If this is your second sport of the school year, please go in to your parent account, select sport/season and grade level. Make sure all information is still correct and click submit to finish the registration.
- A current physical on file with the athletic department. If this is your second sport of the school year, we already have this on file for you. The $50 per sport athletic participation fee is due.
- A clearance card (issued when your physical is verified, online registration completed and the $50 athletic fee is paid) to be given to the coach on the first day of practice. Clearance cards will not be issued for a Spring sport to any Winter athletes that have not returned their complete uniform and any equipment to the athletic department.
Please contact Sue Flatley the Athletic Department at 773-2032 with any questions.
Wauwatosa District Athletic and Spectator Procedures and Policies
As a reminder, only 2 family members per athlete are allowed at most events.
TOSA EAST STAFF
Wondering where to direct your question(s)?
Main line: (414) 773-2000
Tosa East Administrative Team
- Principal: Nick Hughes; (414) 773-2010
- Associate Principal (students with last names A-K): Betsy McGinnity; (414) 773-2011
- Associate Principal (students with last names L-Z): Jordan Stein; (414) 773-2012
Additional Staff Resources
- Athletic Director: Michelle Guyant-Holloway; (414) 773-2014
- Attendance: Gina Obscherning; (414) 773-2002
- Infinte Campus Parent Portal Access: Liz Hughes; (414) 773-2005
- School Fees (including athletic fees and enrollment fees): Sue Flatley; (414) 773-2032
- Student Services (transcripts, address changes, etc.): Janice Morgan; (414) 773-2030
Our Tosa East Main Office is open Monday-Friday from 7:00am-4:00pm
2021-22 School Year: At-a-Glance Calendar
As we approach the 2021-22 school year, you can find the year’s at-a-glance calendar here. The calendar can also be found in the Quick Links section on the district website and on each school’s website.
Last Day of School
The last day of school is Friday, June 11, 2021 which is scheduled as a half-day of school. Please note the following arrival and dismissal times:
High School: 8:00 - 11:30 am
Middle School: 8:10 - 11:40 am
Elementary + Montessori School: 8:20 - 11:50 am