April 14, 2014
News to Roar About
- Minh and Nicole for a great Career Day! You guys did a super job in planning this outstanding day for our students to learn about careers. It was the best career fair ever! Thank you for all of the time you invested to make the day so memorable.
- Linda Wood for the excellent job you did in preparing our talented students to perform at the Volunteer Breakfast! The volunteers were so impressed and felt so special to have our students perform for them.
- Congratulations to GCPS for once again being a finalist for the Broad Prize! That is a result of all of the hard work of the teachers and staff members in GCPS! Congratulations to each of you for your contributions to this honor!
- Minh for helping get the volunteer breakfast setup!
- Joan Tullis for doing some shopping for us for the Volunteer Breakfast.
- Montine Powell for your help with the Volunteer Breakfast and new parent welcome.
- Joan Tullis and her ladies for setting up the the cafe for the volunteer breakfast and Joan for handling the cute table decorations and for helping the morning of breakfast getting things out.
- Thank you to all of the teachers for bringing wonderful samples and examples of great things you're doing in your classrooms to support the Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- Teachers and staff for all the great food for the volunteer breakfast! You really made the event special for our volunteers and they felt so appreciated due to your hard work! You guys are the best!
- Amber Hayes on her beautiful wedding and on becoming Mrs. Deadrick! Congratulations, Amber! We cannot wait to see the pictures!
- SIT team for another excellent session and your input on decisions. You each do an awesome job of representing your grade levels in making the decisions that we need to make as a school. Your leadership is amazing!
- 5th grade for making us proud and representing Harbins so well on your recent visit to the middle school. We are proud of our 5th grade leaders!
- 5th grade teachers for your support of our 5th graders going to the middle school to see what is ahead for them next year. We appreciate your preparation!
- 4th and 5th grade teachers for your support of our students learning of the family life AKS. You always handle this time with the utmost professionalism.
- Terri Poffenberger and Bob Stone for sharing your students in Leadership Academy! The students did a super job!
- Debbie, Bridget and Trista for a great math planning session. We appreciate your leadership in math!
- Congratulations to our FOCUS students on a magnificent production of A Midsummer Night's Dream! You all did an outstanding job!
- Lisa Newton for the hard work she invested to provide the 5th grade FOCUS students with the opportunity to perform Shakespeare!
- Cyndy Palmer and Laurie Aldridge for the outstanding job you do with our yearbook! We are so grateful for the work you put into this treasure each year!
- 4th grade for being such great friends to a colleague.
- Welcome back to Mike Stanton! We missed you while you were gone. Be sure to come bearing pictures!
- Kaylee Gulich for doing a super job filling in for Mike in his absence! We appreciate your support of these fourth graders!
Check out these cools APPs that support math fluency. Click the red button to see the APP List.
F&P kits will begin rotation schedule on Monday, April 14th. Please email Jennifer Dalton if you are in need of scripts. Upper grades kits will be used in second grade on the mornings of CRCT testing.
Book of Honor Deadline
CRCT Info. for 3rd - 5th Grade Teachers, Support Team and Sp. Ed. Teachers
The CRCT and CRCT-M Examiner's manual is located in the Harbins Hanbook - Assessment - General Information. All test examiner's are required to read the manual prior to test administration which begins Wednesday, April 30. Test examiner's have not yet been assigned to small groups, but ALL 3rd - 5th grade teachers, Support team members, and Special Education teachers need to read the manual to prepare. We will need "all hands on deck" to administer CRCT/CRCT-M, including make-ups.
10,000 Random Acts of Kindness
Administrative Professionals Day
Teacher Appreciation Day
Kindergarten Registration and Round-Up
Grade Level Professional Learning
Grade Level professional development:
- April 16- SPG data entry and staff development log on the PD&E tool
- April 24- Required CRCT Testing Meeting for grades 3-5 and support staff involved in testing. Please attend a grade level session during specials.
- April 25- Make-Up CRCT Testing Meeting at 3:45 for all involved in testing that were not at one of the meetings on April 24.
- May 1- Literacy and Math Staff Development
Media Center News
We will be doing our annual inventory on Friday April 25th, Monday, April 28th and Tuesday, April 29th. We will be CLOSED for student check-out during this time. Please plan accordingly for your students to make sure they have the books they will need before then. As soon as we are done scanning the books we will be back OPEN!
All Student Books will be DUE into the Media Center on MAY
Look for my summer reading plans in the ROAR after Spring Break. Plan on bringing your class into the Media Center during the month of May (Grades K-4) so I can get the kids excited about the program this summer!
Check out what is going on in the Media Center in April, including what we are doing in story time and other lessons offered:
Classroom Spirit Award
Book of Honor
Nomination forms are in the mailroom. You may nominate a student to sign the Book of Honor at any time. Send them to the front lobby after announcements with their nomination form just as you do for handshakes. We will issue a special sticker and certificate when the student comes to the front to sign the book.
Below are the criteria for a student earning the opportunity to sign the Book of Honor:
· The student must consistently on a daily basis exhibit ownership of 7 Habits by:
· Showing use of the habits through their actions, attitude, and verbalizing them.
· The use of the 7 habits should be student initiated, independent, not teacher directed
· The criteria should be used to judge the students ownership of the habits against the individual student, not group comparison
School Improvement Team
The SIT team will meet on Tuesday, May 6th from 1:15-4:00 in the Professional Development Room. The reading assignment from your Teacher As Assessment Leader book is to read chapters 5 & 6 for our meeting.
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A link will be sent to you in April for your Leader in Learning.