September 7, 2023
Wednesday, Sep. 13th, 8am
225 56th Street
Des Moines, IA
Leader in Me
During the school year, students will be learning about the seven habits. Here are the habits:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive - I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
- Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind – I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school's mission and vision.
- Habit 3: Put First Things First – I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule and achieve my goals. I am disciplined and organized.
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win - I balance courage forgetting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others' Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I lookfor third alternatives. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then be Understood - I listen to other people's ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
- Habit 6: Synergize - I value other people's strengths and learn from them. I work well in groups, even with people who are different than me. I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems because I know that by teaming with others we can create better solutions than can anyone of us alone. I am humble.
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw - I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just in school. I take time to find meaningful ways to help others.
Girls on the Run
4th Annual OneRun
The 4th annual District-wide OneRun fundraiser will be held at Water Works Park on September 23rd, 2023, with check-in between 8:00-8:45 a.m. The event will be a 2-mile fun run/walk with an option to cheer on the sidelines as a supporter! Registration is free for everyone; participation is what will count.
Event fees will be paid by corporate and individual sponsors. Once participation totals are tallied, the money raised will be sent directly to the schools. Each participant may designate one school. The more participants and donations, the more money to Hanawalt!
Hanawalt Community Notes
Hanawalt Block Party
Save the Date! Our annual back to school Hanawalt Block party is set for Friday, 9/29 from 5:30-7:30!! The block party is a FREE family friendly event that offers a free light pizza dinner with halal, GF and dairy free options, inflatables, balloon twisters, carnival games, prizes and tons of FUN! We are looking for volunteers to help run the event the day of! Can’t help? We also need donations. Please sign up here below, thank you for supporting our community!
5 – 21: Fall Reading and Math Screener
13: Picture Day
22: No School
23: One Run @ 8:00
25: No School, Yom Kipper
29: Block Party 5:30 – 7:30 pm