Grade 5 Newsletter
June 7th - June 11th, 2015
Yesterday marked the culmination of the most significant portion of the Grade five year in the PYP Exhibition. A ‘rite of passage’ that marks the transition from PYP to MYP, the exhibition is a unique feature of the International Baccalaureate program where students demonstrate their learning through ongoing research , action and public presentation.
According to the IB’s Exhibition Guidelines, the key purposes of the exhibition are:
- for students to engage in an in-depth, collaborative inquiry
- to provide students with an opportunity to demonstrate independence and responsibility for their own learning
- to provide students with an opportunity to explore multiple perspectives
- for students to synthesize and apply their learning of previous years and to reflect upon their journey through the PYP
- to demonstrate how students can take action as a result of their learning
- to unite the students, teachers, parents and other members of the school community in a collaborative experience that incorporates the essential elements of the PYP
- to celebrate the transition of learners from primary to middle/secondary education.
Well done students!
Other Important News and Update
Wednesday 17th June, starting at 12.00 - 1:15 (Reception to Follow).
Dress Code for this event is Color or black and white formal wear.
This week on Friday June 12th, we will have the last flea market of the year from 8 am till 1 pm. Please share the info with members of your own community.
Funds will be dedicated to sponsoring orphans in Uganda.
Bowling and Shared Lunch
On June 15th students will have a chance to enjoy the end of year bowling event. The dress code has been outlined on the permission slip. After bowling, students will come back to the school and have a shared lunch with all the other Grade 5 students. We are asking students to please bring food made at home, representing their culture (traditional food item if possible). It will be a pot-luck set up where students can celebrate the end of the PYP together.
Student Led Conference
Please note that on June 16th, there are no scheduled classes for these grades although students will need to attend with parents at allotted conference times to show their portfolios to you. Please sign up as there can only be 4 students signed up at a time. Sessions will begin at half an hour intervals between 7:30 - 11:30.
June 15th- Bowling and Shared Lunch
June 16th - Student Led Conference
June 17th - Grade 5 and Grade 10 Graduation and Celebration of Learning