Famous Photographer Project
HOW did he get into photography?
What is his trademark?
what made him famous?
- Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Conservation Service Award
- Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Sierra Club John Muir Award
- Inductee to the California Hall of Fame by Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Had a mountain in the Inyo National Forest named after him
- Hasselblad Award
- His photograph, The Tetons and the Snake River was one of the 115 images put onto the Voyager spacecraft. The images selected to tell information about humans to any possible recipients of this probe
What others have said about his work
John Szarkowski - "Ansel Adams attuned himself more precisely than any photographer before him to a visual understanding of the specific quality of the light that fell on a specific place at a specific moment. For Adams the natural landscape is not a fixed and solid sculpture but an insubstantial image, as transient as the light that continually redefines it. This sensibility to the specificity of light was the motive that forced Adams to develop his legendary photographic technique."
Washington Post - "His photographs are like portraits of the giant peaks, which seem to be inhabited by mythical gods."
What he has said about his work
"Beauty comes first"
"Pure photography is defined as possessing no qualities of technique, composition or idea, derivative of any other art form."
"My photographs have now reached a stage when they are worthy of the world's critical examination. I have suddenly come upon a new style which I believe will place my work equal to anything of its kind."
"I had been able to realize a desired image: not the way the subject appeared in reality but how it felt to me and how it must appear in the finished print"