Info on Winds
Information on Local winds
- Definition- local winds are caused by the unequal heating of Earths surface within a small area.
- Unequal heating often happens near lakes and ocean coasts
- Sea Breezes- A sea breezes is a local wind that blows from the ocean. A lake breeze is a local wind that blows from a lake. Also A sea breeze or lake usually happens during the day.
- Land breezes- A land breeze is a local wind that blows from the land over a lake or ocean. A land breezes usually happens at night.
- Global winds- Global winds are winds that travel over a large area......Like the globe
- Doldrums- These winds are at the equator (0 degrees latitude) and they are very weak.
- Trade winds- The trade wind are global winds that blow in the Northern Hemisphere towards the equator from 30 degrees north latitude. Latitude is the distance from the equator.
- Prevailing Westerlies- Wind blows from the west to the east between 30 and 60 degrees latitude in both the Northerner and Southern hemisphere. Since the winds always blow from the west/ they are called the prevailing Westerlies.
- Jet streams- High-speed winds call jet streams blow at the top of the troposphere.