AES Community Connection 5/6/22
Stay connected with our school newsletter...
Greetings AES Families!
Special thanks to our PTO and all of the wonderful volunteers who made this year's Teacher Appreciation Week spectacular. Our staff was treated to a "Spa Day," Food Trucks, Flowers, Coffee Cart barista and more! Our families really know how to show their appreciation.
A huge shout out to Tammy Barr and Sarah Stevens who directed our 3rd grade musical "Hello Lightning!" ... and a round of applause for our 3rd grade thespians, both students and teachers. All students enjoyed the show on Wednesday, with a family showing in the evening.
This year, we started a school newspaper thanks to the iniative of 4th grader Sunny Morehouse. The newspaper will be distributed to ALL students today! We are grateful to the high school journalism students who worked weekly with our students to create this edition of the "AES Skier News."
While I recoginize that every family structure is unique, I'd like to wish a "Happy Mother's Day" to those in our community that will be celebrating "moms" this weekend.
All my best,
Mark your calendar...
- May 12 - High Mountain Harmony Choir Concert, 1:30 (students) and 5:30pm (families).
- May 18 - PTO Family Spring Mixer at Home Team
- May 23 - Bike Rodeo 3rd Grade
- May 24 - Bike Rodeo 2nd Grade
- May 31 - SCHOOL IN SESSION FOR AES
- June 1 - Field Day and All School BBQ. Lost & Found Sale ($1 per item)
- June 7 - Last Day of School for Students (full day); 4th grade ice cream social and clap out 2-3pm
- April AES Lunch Menu
- The AES Student Handbook (Click here for Spanish) outlines expectations for our school.
- Aspen School District Absences and Excuses Policy (Click here for Spanish)
- AES Attendance (Click here for Spanish)
- Pre-Arranged Absence Form
- School Supplies and tech fees - Click here for more information.
- Please click HERE to see the staff's favorite things!
- Order SPIRIT WEAR anytime with this link!
It is that time of year for the Out-of-District Lottery. We are now accepting applications welcoming out-of-district families for the 2022-23 school year Kindergarten through Grade 4. If this is something you are interested in, please read the linked information and fill out the application by Friday, May 6, 2022.
Does your child ride the bus?
Bus Passes and Bus Changes:
If you need a new bus pass or want your child to catch a different bus home than usual, please visit the Transportation homepage. Links to the Bus Pass Replacement Form and the Bus Change Request Form can be found there. Students will not be allowed on a bus if they are not registered for a bus, and we will not be accepting handwritten notes or text messages from parents allowing students to ride a different bus.
As most of you know, there is a shortage of bus drivers and sporadically bus routes have to be cancelled. Please discuss a backup plan with your child for these scenarios. Sharing this plan with your child's teacher is always a good idea!
More community news...
Girls Empowerment With Horses
Young Writers Institute of Aspen
When: Monday June 20, 2022 through Friday June 24, 2022 Time: 9:00 am to 12 noon each day.
Where: Aspen Community School, 340 Woody Creek Mesa, Snowmass, CO 81656
Early Bird Registration Cost: $400 (price increase to $450 after 4/30/2022) Space is LIMITED! Register at: https://eamcollaborative.com Click services in the upper right corner, scroll to Young Writers' Institute of Aspen, and register directly.
Click HERE for the flyer.
Save the Date! PTO Spring Mixer & Fundraiser Wednesday, May 18th
Please Join Us for Aspen Elementary School PTO Spring Mixer & Fundraiser Wednesday.
May 18th 4-8pm at Home Team BBQ Aspen.
*25% of all sales for AES families go directly to PTO (Takeout too!)
Outdoors & Indoors. Click HERE for the Flyer.
After School Pick-Up Reminders...
- If you walk up to the school, please meet your child on the plaza on the side of the building.
- Students in 3rd and 4th grade may walk to the "rock" at the edge of the parking lot on their own.
- Please remind your child if they have a pick-up change for the day.
- We will remind all students that they are to meet their pick-up adult on the plaza or by the rock.
Thank you! We are seeing a lot of congestion on the sidewalk as we are trying to load the buses. Your help is appreciated.
What do I do if my child has symptoms or exposure to COVID-19?
- Please continue to keep you child home if they have symptoms and seek a covid test. Please call the health office to report any positve cases or use the link below.
- Note the isolation period for positive cases is 5 days with improved symptoms. Rapid antigen testing prior to returning to school is recommended, but not requrired.
- Close contacts are not required to quarantine, but should monitor for symptoms and test 5 days following exposure. Contact Pitkin County Public Health for questions.
- Families will notified if clusters of postive cases occur within a classroom and Public Health recommends wearing K95 masks in this case.
- Click here to report at-home positive test results related to ASD.
- Click here to review the PCH Testing and Isolation Algorithm for schools (updated Jan)
- Click here to access Pitkin County Health's covid webpage for more information
- In order to return to school following non-Covid-19 illness a student should have resolution of symptoms for 24 hrs and documentation of a negative covid test should be shared with attendance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aspen Elementary SKIERS
At AES our essential agreements guide the way we behave and interact with others throughout our school in every setting. This year, we've adopted the SKIER acronym as a way to frame our essential agreements school wide. We hope that you will reinforce these positive attributes with your child at home.