Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Week of 5/9
We have continued working on many projects and activities in the classroom. Students' quilt designs are phenomenal, and I've loved reading their haikus & plays. This week is sure to be eventful as well! We will be departing for the Science Museum after school on Thursday and will return between 11-11:30 on Friday. Please submit any necessary paperwork tomorrow if you have not yet done so. We're looking forward to a terrific trip! See below for important reminders about the trip. Take care & have a wonderful week!
Viewing 3rd Grade Passion Projects - Fascinating Ideas!
Important Spring Dates:
Science Museum Overnight: THIS Thursday-Friday (returning between 11-11:30 am)
- No electronics.
- Students may bring a disposable camera & small travel game, notebook, or book for the bus.
- Label bags/ belongings (pack lightly!)
- A plastic bag with deodorant, clean socks, toothbrush/toothpaste, washcloth will be helpful for easy transport to the bathroom.
- Many students in the past have rolled up their pillow into their sleeping bag & put everything in a duffle bag or larger carrying bag. Students will carry their own belongings - so again, pack lightly!
- Students will sleep in the clothes they wear on Thursday. We will change into spray painted shirts after school. Comfortable shoes are key!
- No additional money is needed.
- We'll return to school between 11-11:30 on Friday.
- Refer to packet of information sent home last week for additional information & please ask me if you have any questions! It is sure to be a GREAT trip!
4th Grade Track & Field: Thursday, May 26
***Friday, May 27 and Tuesday, May 31 are make up dates for T&F.
Patchwork Quilt Designers - Symmetry in Math!
Updates & Announcements:
Last Day of School Carnival Volunteers: I am seeking 1-3 volunteers for the last day of school carnival. You would be assisting and supervising students as they are on the inflatables in the gym. Fourth grade's time is from 8:30-9:30. Please let me know if you're able to help! Thanks so much.
Acting Opportunity: 'The Legend of Katastrophe Kate' is a play for Kindergarten through grade 8 to show off their acting talent. Auditions will be held on May 24 for the over 30 speaking parts available. Class will run June 27 - July 1 from 8 am - noon with the performance on July 1 at 6:30 pm. More information is on the K-M Schools website under the Community Education 'school,' or by checking page 16 of your Summer 16 Community Education brochure.
Classroom Wish List: Pre-popped popcorn & candy (your choice) - thanks so much!
Tomorrow is National Walk/ Bike to School Day! Students in grades 3-8 are invited to participate in this event - see details below.
This Week's Objectives:
- We are identifying causes and effects of a deadly air-pollution disaster in London.
- We are synthesizing information from two texts about the history of pets.
- We are writing and performing plays based on a favorite story or novel.
- We are determining the theme of texts & plays we read.
- We are building reading stamina and practicing CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading.
- We are solving discount number stories.
- We are continuing to work on a patchwork design project.
- We are multiplying and dividing with decimals.
- We are learning about reflections, rotations, and translations.
- We are exploring line symmetry.
- We are building our speed and accuracy with basic multiplication and division facts.
Science & Social Studies:
- We are learning about inventors and inventions.
- Students are continuing to study economics & states/capitals.
Visit from Aricin's Grandma
Creating Clay Pens with Mrs. Dahms' Class
Wishing you a spectacular week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.