"Launching the Next Generation of Lifetime Learners"
Week at a Glance:
K-3rd mClass window (now-February 5)
4th-5th Benchmark window (now-February 5)
*send mCLass reports home on February 9
Kindergarten Data meeting
District math Team (12:00-3:30)
Intervention Team and TIPS Team meeting (3:00) in data room
*TIAA Cref. Financial Advisor here all day in professional room- sign up at the office
PLC Day (in classrooms)
First Grade Data Meeting
YMCA on-site soccer registration (2:00-6:00)
Reynolds District Community Night (5:30-6:30) at ACRHS
Report Cards go Home Today
Curriculum Leadership Team (11:40-12:40)
Crisis Team (3:00)- brief meeting to touch base
Second Grade Data Meeting
Kindergarten Tours: 9:00 and 12:30
Math and Literacy Team Meetings (3:00)
*Super Bowl Spirit Day: Donate $3 towards the "FES Field of Dreams" and wear jeans and your favorite Super Bowl attire!
Harlem Wizards Basketball team presents a health and wellness message during lunch (we are doing this to help support an Oakley Elementary fundraiser)
PBIS lunch with admins. at 11:30 in the cafeteria
Harlem Wizards Basketball Game (7:00) at UNCA
mClass window closes today
Eat at the "Local Joint" & support the "Field of Dreams"!
Please use the link below to enter our school to win a visit from Jan Brett!
News You Can Use:
February is survey month for Buncombe County Schools. On February 1, instructional classified and certified staff will receive survey links. 5th grade students will also need to complete their survey in February. Mr. Mashburn will work with 5th grade teachers to facilitate this process. Thanks in advance for your constructive input. These surveys will be open for participation from February 1 through February 29, 2016, only.
A reminder to grade level and EC teachers: All reading planning days should be entered in AESOP by today.
Fairview Elementary's Career Fair will be held on Wednesday February 24th from 8:15 - 10:15 (Snow Date: Monday March 7th). Grade levels and teachers should begin to think about securing their presenters and achieving the type of balance within careers they want for that day.Students are invited to dress up as their favorite career for the Career Fair. Please ask your SIT representative for more specifics regarding the day.
In preparation for career day, Katie and Amanda invite you to wear your college Alma mater shirt on Monday, Feb. 15th. That day, Katie will come around to get your photo in your shirt. All staff photos will be displayed for students to be encouraged to attend college. Thanks for your help with this!"
Attention all Fairview PLC's: It is mid-year, which means it is time to take a look at Academic SMART Goals on your "Norms and Goals" document. Please remember to reflect on any goals that have met their deadline, and also add the following by March 1 (if you have not already done so...several PLC's have): 1. A short-term goal (i.e. time span is approx. 3-6 weeks) for math and reading, and 2: A Long-term goal (i.e. end of the year) in math and reading. Of course, you are welcome to add more than this if you would like. Let's let these goals guide us to end of the year student growth! Please see Jennifer, Jamie or Christen with any questions. We are happy to help in any way we can. *please remember to have your "Norms and Goals" document and your "minutes" document open throughout all PLC meetings. This will be a good reminder of any needed updates to your goals.
Lexia Core5 Tips for Success:
- Stay on top of handing out certificates and making a big deal of this progress. Share the successes of your students.
- Use a sticker chart or some other way of letting the kids keep track of progress
- Check your reports on a regular basis (using PLC or Intervention time for this would be great) to see if there are any red flags that should be addressed.
- Remember that the average time to complete a unit is 10 minutes.
- Check for those kids who are "low and slow". They may need an intervention to increase usage and/or expected progress.
- Use the "Lexia Data Routines" handout to guide your use of Lexia.
- Remember that Lexia is not an online program alone. It requires teachers to connect this data to instructional practice to move children along in areas where they are struggling. There are many great resources to help teachers do this.
- Skill builders build fluency and automaticity.
- Lexia Instructional Connections give the teacher ideas and lessons to help students who are struggling.
Your Curriculum Leadership Team had a Success Metrics conference on Monday, January 25, and learned that 58% of our students are meeting required usage minutes at least once every 2 weeks. Let's see if we can show improvement in our usage over the next grading period.
Check out Mrs. Buchanan's new business on Facebook!
If you would like to contribute articles or information to the Cardinal Flyer, please let Mrs. Reed know. She would appreciate contributions from any staff member!