BHCS Charter Chatter
Halloween on the Hill
Pumpkin Book Character Contest
KINDERGARTEN - 2ND GRADE WINNERS
1st Place: Levi Paul (Hatley)
2nd Place: Georgia Dunn (Baker)
3rd Place: Natalee Neathery (McDowell)
3RD - 5TH GRADE WINNERS
1st Place: Grant Rogers (Chalk)
2nd Place: Grace Rogers (Porrin)
3rd Place: Carter Toone (Whitt)
CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE ON A JOB WELL DONE!
Operation Christmas Child Opportunity
November's character trait is "Citizenship" and in an effort to teach our students about supporting their community and country we wanted to provide the information for participating in the Samaritan's Purse project, known as "Operation Christmas Child." Below are some facts about this project and how it works. We believe this is a project our students will enjoy participating in with their families and it will help them more fully understand the concept of citizenship through giving of their time and resources to children in need.
WHAT IS OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD?
- The Samaritan’s Purse project Operation Christmas Child collects shoebox gifts—filled with fun toys, school supplies and hygiene items—and delivers them to children in need around the world. For many of these children, the gift-filled shoebox is the first gift they have ever received.
- Since 1993, Operation Christmas Child, the world’s largest Christmas project of its kind, has collected and delivered more than 178 million shoebox gifts to children in more than 160 countries and territories.
- In 2020, Operation Christmas Child hopes to collect enough shoebox gifts to reach another 11 million children in countries like Peru, the Philippines, Rwanda and Ukraine. More than 10.5 million shoebox gifts were collected worldwide in 2019, with more than 8.9 million collected in the U.S.
CONNECTION WITH CITIZENSHIP...
At school, students are learning "You can demonstrate good citizenship by being a person who is involved in trying to make the community, nation, or world a better place. You can also show good citizenship by considering the needs of others in your community, home, or school."
Due to safety precautions, we will not be collecting shoe boxes or materials for this project at school this year, however, you can still participate online with your child(ren) and family. This is an optional opportunity and information is being provided for those choosing to participate. Instructions for building and purchasing a shoe box gift online are below. Shoe boxes built online will cost $25.
One convenient and personal way to give shoebox gifts directly from home is to build a shoebox online. You make it your own by choosing from a list of gifts then adding a letter and a photo. Operation Christmas Child will pack it for you and send it off.
- Visit www.samaritanspurse.org/buildonline
- Click "Start Building" at the top of the page.
- Choose "Boy" or "Girl"
- Choose the age range you prefer to build your box for (2-4, 5-9, or 10-14).
- Choose the items for your box following the prompts at the top of the page.
- Finally, complete payment and billing information.
After completing your online shoe box donation, you can also track it to find out were it is delievered. Visit the Follow Your Box look-up tool. Enter the number on your Follow Your Box label or the email address you used to Follow Your Box. Shoebox information will display in the look-up tool once shoeboxes have been processed. This typically occurs at processing centers between mid-November and mid-December. Then, it will either report that your boxes are awaiting overseas shipment or it will list the country destinations where they are being shipped.
Thank you for your help in promoting citizenship!
Reminder About Attendance
School Improvement Team Needs Volunteers
PTO Needs You...
Bethel Hill Charter School's Parent Teacher Organization is actively seeking Parents (and Grandparents) to help serve on the PTO board, as well as volunteer with various projects. Due to COVID-19 our traditional ways of fundraising and holding events have changed a great deal, that's why now, more than ever we need our families to help our students and teachers!
If you are interested in being part of the PTO, please contact our PTO President,
Beckie Grimm at email@example.com
Your support is most appreciated!