Lincoln Lion's Local Buzz
July 26, 2019
Enjoy this last weekend before we return
Meet up with friends--enjoy some time revisiting the fun of the summer.
Take time for you--we give so much to others once school starts, spend some time doing what YOU want to do.
Breathe deeply and get ready--our Lions are so ready to be back, be with us, and grow!
- Dress Comfortably on days that we are in house and don't have events. Shorts, flops, and comfortable clothes are perfectly fine for Monday, Thursday (bring clothes for Sneak-a-Peak) and Friday.
- For Tuesday's convocation please wear a favorite Lincoln shirt or Lincoln colors. Show your Lincoln Pride with your BLUE and GOLD! If memory serves we tend to sit halfway up the left hand side of the auditorium.
- Please note we needed to add WIDA training to our agenda on Tuesday afternoon. This training was about 30-40 minutes last year and I anticipate the same this year. Please meet in the library. This training is mandatory for all teachers.
- Friday, Mafair will be hosting us for lunch around 11:30 (when we are done with the Suicide Training). The pastor's wife, Mrs. Love, is helping to get this up in running for this year as they currently don't have a liaison at the church. She has been great to work with as well as her husband, Pastor Love.
SMILE Committee brings on the BBQ!
2 meats (pork and chicken)
2 sides (baked beans/potato salad)
Please let Autumn or Leanne know ASAP if you plan to attend.
Reminders Worth Repeating
- Make sure you have a Lion's Den in your room ready to go on the first day. We are continuing with Zones of Regulation and Lion's Dens in each room to reinforce self regulation of emotions.
- Please connect with either Kristen (grades K-1) Marsha (grades 2-3) or Henry (grades 4-5) to arrange time for them to come in and teach/reteach the Zones of Regulation. Grades K and 1 will likely get the same full course of lessons that were taught last year. Grades 2-5 will have multiple lessons to reiterate the zones work and to reinforce our common language.
- Make plans to teach the expectation lessons (found in the google drive) during the month of August. All four expectations must be covered by the end of August.
- Set time aside to teach the art of goal setting and getting your data binders organized. (More information coming for how to organize it.)
- Less is more---be strategic in what goes up and what is out. Cover bookshelves and storage areas with items you aren't using. Creating a calming environment that isn't overly cluttered with lots of things is a better environment for our kids. Please see last week's Buzz for information on research studies, articles, and blogs regarding this approach.
- Be sure that you have room to circle. If you don't have room for a proper circle, please reevaluate your room and find a way to create a space for a circle. Do you really need both kidney tables?? Could you move that set of desks further to the left??? All rooms need a true open space for kids to circle and not "half circle/squashed oval/irregular shape."
Summer Cleaning Update
Getting a Head Start On Work for the fall
The link directly below this paragraph is to the executive summary of the study "The Opportunity Myth". We will be working with this document throughout the year. The full study is over 50 pages and we will revisit and look at portions of that larger study too. However, so you have an overview of the findings, please take some time to read this much shorter 7 page synopsis.