The Panther Post
DMS September Newsletter 2021
September is here and we are finally beginning to settle into our daily routines at DMS! We started our year with a learning curve and a few challenges that slowed progress just a bit. However, as usual our faculty and staff have embraced it all with determination and a commitment to excellence.
Technology is on its way to all students. We have students receiving their school issued devices and passwords daily. We hope to have this process completed soon. If a student is having difficulty with their device or password, please have them report it to their teacher.
It will be important for students to bring their school issued device and charger with them each day. Please help your student to get in the habit of bringing their device fully charged to school daily. It may be helpful to establish a routine for charging and packing up their device with its charger each night.
Online fee payments are still open. Please remember to pay your student's fees if you have not already done so. Please click this link to access the fee payment online site. Please view your student's schedule in PowerSchools to determine the fees for this school year.
Students have been excited about the kick-off of our various sports competitions this season. Volleyball, football, band, cheer and dance teams are showing their panther pride as they demonstrate skill on the field and court. We look forward to seeing many of you as we cheer our various sports teams on to victory!
- Friday, September 3rd is a half day. School will dismiss at 11:45. School is closed Monday, September 6th for Labor Day.
- Encourage your student to bring refillable water bottles for use at the water filling stations.
- Send all attendance notes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student drop off begins at 7:40.
- Lunch is free for all students this year. No commercial food is allowed for lunch.
- Please be mindful of instructional time. Cellphone use is allowed between classes, not during class. If you message your student, they will reply during class transitions or lunch.
- Limit item drop-offs for students to absolute necessities.
- Afternoon check-out ends at 2:45p.m.
- The car loop in front of the school is for ELC pick-up and drop-off only in the morning from 7:40-8:15 and in the afternoon from 2:45-3:30. Please do not park in the loop during these times.
- All car riders must be dropped off in the carline only.
- PTA is looking for members. You are invited to join.
With Panther Pride,
Discovery Middle School: A place for innovation, excellence and discovery.
Exceptional Learning Center
- September 7 (Away) Buckhorn
- September 9 (Home) Monrovia
- September 10 (Away) Monrovia
- September 11 (Away) Guntersville Tournament
- September 13 (Home) Buckhorn
- September 14 (Away) Liberty
- September 16 (Away) Meridianville
- September 18 (Away) Liberty Tournament
- September 21 (Away) Sparkman
- September 23 (BJHS) Liberty & Athens
- September 25 (Away) Athens Tournament
- September 28-30 (Away) County Tournament @ Liberty
- September 2 (Home) Meridianville
- September 9 (Home) Monrovia
- September 16 (Away) DAR
- September 23 (Home) Sparkman
- September 30 (MCS Stadium) Liberty
- October 8 (Away) Liberty
* During regularly scheduled games the 7th grade team will play at 5:00 p.m. and the 8th grade team will play at 6:30 p.m.
The DMS website is an excellent source of information about academics, teams, sports, clubs, teachers, news, activities, and more!