The THIRD GRADE Times
x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x
This week in Third Grade...April 4, 2016
Welcome back! We hope that the break was relaxing and invigorating for you and your family. We are going to be busy in April! Please refer to the upcoming events section of our newsletter for dates and times you'll want to make note of. Also be sure to check in to our third grade resource page for updated information and resources.
Mrs. Adanto, Mrs. Sears and Mrs. Garcia
Coming Soon...MJS' 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week May 2016! Time to Recycle & Read!
The 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week will be held in mid-May, in the Library. The Library Committee organizes the event, inviting parents, students, faculty and staff to stop by and pick up books to take home, free of charge. Here are Recycle & Read dates to remember:
- Now through May 12: drop off your gently used books at the Library
- May 10 & 11: Recycle & Read Curbside Drop-Off on Euclid Avenue, 7:40-8:00 am (you can drop off your bags/boxes of books with the Girl Scouts during morning carpool)
- May 13: Grand Opening of 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-2:30, Library
- May 16-19: 8th Annual Recycle & Read Week, 7:30-3:30, Library
If you are interested in volunteering to help sort donated Recycle & Read book donations please sign up at www.signupgenius.com or contact Stacy Sartor, 2016 Recycle & Read Coordinator!
Mercy In Motion...Our Faith In Action
Together with Mrs. Reedy in Guidance, our third graders have been encouraged to be mindful of events in their lives that remind and help them to express gratitude. Part of this exercise is to spend some time in reflection, on their own or with others. Acknowledging our gratitude helps us to put our faith in action during this Jubilee Year of Mercy. A good starting place is to take time at the end of the day to reflect: How was love and mercy shown to you by God and others today? Even if you had a rough day, where did you see God's love present in your life?
The Wiz! Presented by MJS' Class of 2016...
Tickets for the annual 8th grade musical - The Wiz - go on sale today! Seating is reserved and evening performances usually sell out, so click here to buy your tickets today! Click on Buy Tickets, type Mayfield in the search box, then click on Get Tickets Now for The Wiz. Performance dates:
Friday, April 15, 7 pm
Saturday, April 16, 2 pm
Saturday, April 16, 7 pm
Sunday, April 17, 2 pm
Spelling City...Front Row...Online Resources for Math and Spelling Practice...
Upcoming Third Grade Events
- April 4, 2016 - Back from Spring Break!
- April 8, 2016 - Benefit Kick-Off Event, 12:15-1:00 PM, Field
- April 10, 2016 - Honoree Mass, Greg Smith Memorial Gymnasium, 10:00 AM - Noon
- April 15 - 17, 2016 - The Wiz presented by MJS Class of 2016! See MJS calendar for specific show times.
- April 22, 2016 - Earth Day Events: Third graders will visit Topanga State Park in honor of Earth Day 2016, Depart MJS 8:45 AM and return to MJS by 2:15 PM.
- April 28, 2016 - Third grade field trip to the Rose Bowl, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM
- April 28, 2016 - Elementary Speech and Debate Invitational at St. Rita Catholic School, Sierra Madre (91024), 3:00 PM (Registration) - 3:30 (Start Time) to approximately 7:00 PM. MJS Third Grade Poets Rock!
Deepening Our Learning...
*Science - Recycle Reach Out Project...Students continue to collect and analyze data related to paper recycling at MJS and Animal Habitats...Students research food chains and webs. Recycling Impact On Our Communities and World...Our actions affect the world at large and recycling reminds us how we can make a difference. Students will take a deeper look at how recycling can have a positive impact on the world in which we live and how important it is to both the natural environment and us.
* Social Studies - Our Community, Our World - Pasadena! Students will be learning about Pasadena history, researching iconic landmarks, and visiting the Pasadena Museum of History.
* Math - Topic Eight: Problem Solving Using Division Facts! Students deepen their learning about division through problem solving using their knowledge of the inverse relationship between multiplication and division facts.
Six Traits of Writing - Students continue apply writing conventions for sentence types, word choice and voice in classroom writing assignments.