Digital Ministry Volunteers Wanted! Be a part of this exciting and vital part of our church's ministry. Volunteers help with cameras, slides, and sound. Training will be provided. No technical expertise needed. You can help extend our reach beyond the walls of the church. For more information, contact Tony Linz or the church office.
Living Faith Today - Look at current events through the lens of our faith and explore how what we believe relates to the world around us. Each week a new subject is explored. Members of the class come and go as their life allows. On Tuesdays, a group meets on Zoom from 6:30 - 7:30 PM for a more in-depth discussion of the topic. To join the Zoom group, contact JoAnn Wright (email@example.com) or the office to get the link and material.
The topic this week is "Russian Church-State Partnership Divides the Faithful" - The alliance between the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) and the Kremlin in support of the war against Ukraine rather than expanding the power and influence of the Moscow Patriarchate, appears to be having the opposite effect. This gives us a chance to examine the relationship between religion and government.
Navigating the Ups and Downs of Grief and Loss: Join Family Conversations in the Dining Room on Sunday, May 15 at 10:30 am as Melissa Minkley, the Executive Director of Healing Hearts of Southeast Wisconsin, discusses how to recognize the signs of grief and loss in yourself and family members. Tips and strategies on dealing with grief for all ages will be explored.
- Basics - Mark your calendar for Sundays, May 15 and 22, 10:30am-12:30pm. This is a class for anyone who wants to get to know new people, including the pastors of FUMC, and explore the questions: Why God? Why Jesus? Why church? Why this church? Nonmembers may opt to join the church after completing this class. Sign up on our website, on the sheet in the Asbury Room, or via the church office. Contact Cheryl Printz (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- In honor of Mother’s Day, men’s breakfast will meet on the 3rd Sunday, May 15, in the church dining hall at 10:30am for a discussion and doughnuts. Please feel free to extend this invitation to anybody that might enjoy stopping by.
- Confirmation Sunday – Please mark your calendars for our celebration of Confirmation on Sunday, May 22. It will be a wonderful day to celebrate our confirmands and the journey they have traveled together.
Wisconsin Annual Conference Ingathering 2022 will be collecting donations for Home Care and Personal Dignity Kits for Midwest Mission Distribution Center. Items can be placed in the designated boxes located in the main hallway by June 5th. Please pick up a list for donations needed in the hallway.
“Can I Have That in Writing?” is the theme of the Waukesha Area Symphonic Band concert on Sunday afternoon, May 22 at 3:00 in Shattuck Auditorium, Carroll University. This concert is a benefit concert for Adaptive Community Approach Program (ACAP) and Healing Hearts of Southeast Wisconsin, both building partners of FUMC. In addition to a wide variety of wind band music related to literary works, the featured soloist is Presley Hansen, the winner of the 2022 High School Concerto Competition. She will be performing Carl Maria von Weber's Concerto for Bassoon with the band. Advance tickets are $10 and available from ACAP, Healing Hearts or Cynthia Eisenmann. Tickets at the door are $15. Full-time students are free.
FUMC Creative Pals - Third Saturday of the Month in Room 209, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Calling all crafters! A room will be available every 3rd Saturday of the month for anyone who wants to spend some devoted time working on projects. It could be anything you need time to tackle. Just bring what you need to do your project. Come to spend the day or just a couple of hours. Anyone is welcome to come, work and visit. Bring your friends. Please let JoAnn Wright (email@example.com) or Lori Tompkins (firstname.lastname@example.org) know each month if you plan to come so we can make sure there is room for everyone. For now, we are using Room 209. The North and West doors will be unlocked until 10:30 AM to ensure building security. If you are going to bring a larger project, there is an elevator at the Wisconsin Avenue (North) entrance. If you are going to come after 10:30 AM, just call JoAnn (262-389-8135) of Lori (414-975-3881) when you get here and they will come let you in.
Pine Lake and Lake Lucerne offer camps for people of all ages and interests. FUMC helps send kids to camp by offering scholarships for up to half the cost of camp. To get a scholarship, please fill out this FORM and return it to the church office or Pastor Greta. If there is greater financial need, there may also be help from the conference. For information and to register go to www.wiumcamps.org. Camps do fill up fast! Questions? Contact Pastor Greta.
- Serving on Sundays- Sign up to read scripture, greet, donate altar flowers, serve communion and host fellowship time! Click HERE for more information and to sign up!
- The counting team is still working on processing any donation that comes into the church. Please include your green offering envelope with your donation to help facilitate the process. If you need envelopes, please contact Tia Legler at email@example.com or contact the church office.
- You can help increase AmazonSmile donations to First United Methodist Church (at no cost to you) by shopping HERE or with AmazonSmile in the Amazon Shopping app.
- Overflow Shelter Wish List: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/MTV12PZ67FN7?ref_=wl_share
- Attention Upper Room Readers! Copies of the May/June Upper Room are available. Previous editions are available as well. Contact the Office Manager for a time to pick one up or to get one mailed to you.
Download FUMC’s APP Today – FUMC’s APP is available to download in the iTunes App Store, Google Play and Amazon App Store. Go to our webpage to download the app or simply search “FUMC Waukesha” in the store to get started. Note: You currently do not need to create an account to use the app unless you plan on using the Giving or Notes portion. Designed to be used on smartphones and tablets, the purpose of our app is to have everything our members and friends need to know about FUMC in one easily accessible place.
Wanted: Quilters and Sewers to join us to make charity quilts. We meet at church the 1st Tuesday and the 3rd Thursday from 9:00am-12:00pm each month. Any questions call Mary Crown at (262)446-9343 or Kathy Greenwald at (262)542-8094.
Yarntwisters meet each Tuesday from 9:30 to 11:30, at members homes. It been a wonderful experience. It kept us active, social distance at first, but helped us able to experience friendship and socialization, much needed during this time. If you have free time and want to join us, we love to add new members. We would be glad to teach anyone to knit or crochet. Yarntwisters love yarn donations, they can be left in room 209 or at church office at any time. That yarn will be put to good use. If you have questions, please contact Joyce Collins at 262-544-1781
Healing Hearts of Southeast Wisconsin, Inc. offers virtual support groups for those with a grieving heart. The Adult Grief Support Group meets the second Tuesday of the month from 6:00pm-7:00pm. The Family Support Group for children, teens and adults meet on Monday from 6:00pm-7:00pm rotating between children and parent groups (every other week for each). The Young Adult Peer Grief Support Group meets every other Thursday from 6:00pm-7:30pm. To register for any of these groups call (262)751-0874 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We appreciate your ongoing financial support of FUMC's mission and ministry. Our online giving account can be found using this link: HERE Your checks can be mailed to the church and designated to support our church budget or other specific missions of our church. Note to church members: When you mail your check-in, please include your green pledge envelope with your envelope number on it inside the mailing envelope. Our address: First United Methodist Church, 121 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha, WI 53186.