Support the Waukesha South Band by attending their annual Cookie Walk on Saturday, December 4 – Help raise funds to support the music programs at Waukesha South by creating your own package of homemade holiday cookies. This annual fundraiser provides needed financial support for the band, orchestra and choir. This year it also helps students who are trying to raise funds to attend a music focused trip to Disney World in March 2022. This trip is only offered every four years. Members of the Waukesha South Band were advertising their annual fundraiser by handing out fliers along the Christmas Parade route. They and their families are now focusing on healing from the traumatic events. Rather than cancel this important event the Friends of Blackshirts, made up of Alumni and other Waukesha South parents and members of the broader community, have stepped in to bake cookies, decorate the space and sell the cookies and treats to ensure that the music programs don’t miss this important funding opportunity. Stop by the Waukesha South Fieldhouse on Saturday, December 4 from 9 am – 1 pm. Cash only please. The Fieldhouse is located at 401 E. Roberta Avenue.
- The Piecemakers will be displaying their quilts on December 5th. Please come and take a look at their creations in the Asbury room.
On Sunday, December 5th at 2 p.m. Kitt Foss, mezzo soprano, her student Clara Lyons and retired pastor Carly Kuntz will give a concert for Waukesha at 2 p.m. in the sanctuary of Community UMC in Elm Grove, WI at 14700 Watertown Plank Road. Kitt has sung with opera companies throughout the world. Clara is a young student of hers with a big voice and Carly is a retired pastor. The program will consist of arias, soloes, duets and trios both secular and sacred. All proceeds will go to the United for Waukesha Community Fund that was established to help those who were victimized at the Waukesha Holiday Parade.
Missions Giving Tree Sunday, November 28 – Sunday, December 19 - Take a tag from the tree, purchase a present for HOPE Center or United Methodist Children’s Services, and return by December 19. Green tags tell you how to donate toward the purchase of gift cards for these organizations. Click HERE to get the QR codes for the shopping lists.
- The Secret Angel Gift Shoppe will be open to the children of our church on 12/11 from 9-1 and 12/12 from 10:30-12. Healing Hearts and ACAP will shop on Monday evening and Tuesday respectively. We are looking for help guiding children and/or wrapping presents. We ask that all volunteers are vaccinated and wear masks for the protection of all participants. There are sign ups in the main hallway. If you would like to donate, drop off new or gently used items in a marked bin that will be in the main hallway. *If you have any baskets you are looking to donate, we use them for gift baskets. Your generosity is a blessing. Sign up in main hallway to help.
- Finding the Light: Advent Devotions from the members of FUMC - Enjoy these reflections on last year’s advent season. Pick up a hard copy at church or look for postings on the website throughout the season.
Living Faith Today meets on Sundays after worship in Room 216 and on Zoom at 6:30 - 7:30 PM every Tuesday. The topic for 11/28/21 and 11/30/21 is "Pronoun Referring to God Becomes Point of Contention" - This week we talk about criticism aimed at a church that had "Godself" on its website in a sentence where others might have written "Himself." It gives us a chance to talk about how we picture God and how he cannot be contained by characteristics that define humankind.
This study group looks at what is happening in the world, how Scripture may guide us, and how we might respond in keeping with our faith.
The group meets each Sunday morning at 10:30 and each Tuesday evening beginning at 6:30 PM for 1 hour via Zoom. This is not a class where you have to be there every week. You can come to some and not others depending on what is going on in your life. If you would like to check out this study group (they really are nice), just email JoAnn Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she will add you to the email list. We hope you will join us.
- Volunteers Needed to Serve Meals on Weekends- Starting November 6th through April 30th, Hope Center's Day Center will once again be open seven days a week. They need volunteers to donate, prepare and serve breakfasts on Sundays, and breakfasts and lunches on Saturdays. If you are able to help out, please call Becky at 262-549-8726, or email at email@example.com.
Waukesha County is listed as having a substantial level of community transmission. Because of this, we are asking the worshipping community to please wear masks as part of our Christian witness. We mask because WE LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS. Our recommendation to mask in worship addresses the needs of the MIXED-VACCINATION status in our faith community. Even though nearly half of Wisconsinites are fully vaccinated, we will be mindful of those not yet vaccinated, those for whom vaccines offer less protection, and those who cannot be vaccinated (including our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren under the age of 12). Let us continue to practice DOING NO HARM.
Children's Christmas Program- The program will be held on Sunday, Dec.12 during worship. Please contact Elizabeth Ross if you are interested in participating or assisting with this year's program.
- Christmas in the Four Gospel Homes: An Advent Study by Cynthia M. Campbell. This small book helps us to get a better understanding of the unique perspective of the four gospels. Order your own book or pick one up at church ($11 if it is not a hardship). Consider engaging the book as a family, creating a small group to discuss it each week, and/or joining us at the Intergenerational Advent Workshop or Zoom Advent Study. (see below)
- Intergenerational Advent Workshop Sunday, December 12, 10:30-11:30 am - All ages are invited to partake in this interactive Forming Faith Advent experience based on our devotional book, Christmas in the Four Gospel Homes (reading it is not required). Sign up at in the Asbury Room or online or call the church office.
- Zoom Advent Study Monday December 13, 6:30-7:30 pm. - This study and conversation will be based on Christmas in the Four Gospel Homes (reading it is not required). Sign up in the Asbury Room or online or call the church office.
- Men’s Breakfast group is meeting on December 12th. We meet the second Sunday of each month. If you’d like more information, contact Dirk Wilken.
- Waukesha Memory Cafe is Wednesday, December 22 10:30- noon. Join them for “Jingle Mingle” located in the Katherine Kathryn Muehl room in the Waukesha Parks, Recreation and Forestry Department office at 1900 Aviation Rd in Waukesha. This is a social gathering for those who are experiencing early-stage dementia, mild memory loss, or mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and for their families, friends, or care partners. For questions, call Lu Ann Ramsey at 262-524-9378.
- SAVE THE DATES: Loaves and Fishes is back for FUMC in 2022. We will be serving at the Hope Center Jan. 9th and Oct. 2nd. A sign-up board will be posted soon for the Jan. 9th date. Please watch for it. For questions, call Lu Ann Ramsey at 262-524-9378.
Faith Alive 2.0 will be offered in January 28-29 and April 08-09 of 2022. Speakers include Rev. Schwerin and Bishop Jung. The goals remain the same: To help all participants to explore their faith – To offer an opportunity for learning and growth – To bring knowledgeable faculty members who can share their wisdom with those wishing to deepen their faith. These sessions will be open, via ZOOM, to all laity and clergy in Wisconsin Conference. NOTE: Past participants in Faith Alive! are welcome to join us in Faith Alive 2.0. All participants may sign up for one or both sessions. We do ask that anyone signing up plan to participate for the full session(s). It is $40 for one session (Friday-Saturday) or $75 for both sessions. Registration Deadline: January 15, 2022 for Session 1 only or combination and March 25, 2022 for Session 2 only. For more information, click HERE.
- Job Position: Worship Technology Leader- FUMC is looking for someone to lead and coordinate the technology aspects of worship. Find the full job description on our website (www.fumcwaukesha.org/worship-technology-leader). Please contact Rev. Susan Bresser, Rev. Greta Hietpas or Melissa Freiberg, SPRC chairperson to set up an interview.
- Nursery Caregivers- We need both paid nursery staff as well as fill-in volunteers. You must be fully vaccinated for Covid. Contact Rev. Greta Hietpas if interested.
- Attention Upper Room Readers! Copies of the November/December Upper Room are available. Previous editions are available as well. If you’d like a copy, they are available in the hallway. You can contact the Office Manager for a mailed copy as well.
Download FUMC’s APP Today – FUMC’s APP is available to download in the iTunes App Store, Google Play and Amazon App Store. Go to our webpage to download the app or simply search “FUMC Waukesha” in the store to get started. Note: You currently do not need to create an account to use the app unless you plan on using the Giving or Notes portion. Designed to be used on smartphones and tablets, the purpose of our app is to have everything our members and friends need to know about FUMC in one easily accessible place.
Wanted: Quilters and Sewers to join us to make charity quilts. We meet at church the 1st Tuesday and the 3rd Thursday from 9:00am-12:00pm each month. Any questions call Mary Crown at (262)446-9343 or Kathy Greenwald at (262)542-8094
Yarntwisters is still a regularly active group. Each Tuesday from 9:30 to 11:30, we have met at members homes. It been a wonderful experience. It kept us active, social distance at first, but helped us able to experience friendship and socialization, much needed during this time. If you have free time and want to join us, we love to add new members. We would be glad to teach anyone to knit or crochet. Yarntwisters love yarn donations, they can be left in room 209 or at church office at any time. That yarn will be put to good use. If you have questions, please contact Joyce Collins at 262-544-1781
- In-Person Scripture Readers Needed- Consider being a scripture reader in the sanctuary! You can sign up and read guidelines HERE or by calling the church office.
If you would like to donate altar flowers, please SIGN UP HERE. Please indicate on the sign up if you would like to keep or donate them to a homebound member after.
Greeters needed: We are now changing the way we use Greeters at FUMC. We would like to have 4 people per Sunday to help people sign in, grab a mask, and give directions etc. Please pick your Sunday and sign up! Bring a friend or family member to join with you. We ask that you arrive by 9 am to begin your time.
- You can help increase AmazonSmile donations to First United Methodist Church (at no cost to you) by shopping HERE or with AmazonSmile in the Amazon Shopping app.
Healing Hearts offers virtual support groups for those with a grieving heart. The Adult Grief Support Group meets the second Tuesday of the month form 6:00pm-7:00pm. The Family Support Group for children, teens and adults meet on Monday from 6:00pm-7:00pm rotating between children and parent groups (every other week for each). The Young Adult Peer Grief Support Group meets every other Thursday from 6:00pm-7:30pm. To register for any of these groups call (262)751-0874 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The counting team requests that you continue to use your offering envelopes when mailing in contributions. If you have not received yours, please email Tia Legler with the number of envelopes you would like and she will get those to you.
- We appreciate your ongoing financial support of FUMC's mission and ministry. Our online giving account can be found using this link: HERE Your checks can be mailed to the church and designated to support our church budget or other specific missions of our church. Note to church members: When you mail your check-in, please include your green pledge envelope with your envelope number on it inside the mailing envelope. Our address: First United Methodist Church, 121 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha, WI 53186.