J&R Booster Newsletter
September 17, 2016 Vol. 2
- Congratulations to Carly Darnell on her 1st invitation to visit Penn State University! She's going to visit October 14. Good luck Carly!
- We have new team gymnasts. Please welcome them to our family. Annabelle Ewald (level 3), Mary Claire Ewald (level 3), Jacqueline Ewald (level 4), Caroline Ewald (level 4), and Sara Nevius (level 9)
- James Jeffers - our gym owner received the Life Member Award from GAT, which is the highest award you can receive. We are proud to have you as our gym owner.
- Per USGA there can be NO parent/child contact at competitions unless there is an emergency. If you need to communicate during a meet, please text your coach.
- Per Coach Lauren, her athletes are NOT allowed to look at their scores during the meet, so they do not get fixated on their scores.
- Please do not use colored hair ties and make sure there are no flyaways.
- Please pack a healthy snack and a water bottle in your gymnasts bag.
First SAGA Meet was a success
Acrotex District Qualifier Highlights
- Caroline Meginley level 4 1st place on beam
- Jade Dahlke level 4 1st place on beam
- Emily Sampson level 4 1st place on floor
- Cassidy Sanford level 5 1st place on vault
- Elizabeth Hagan level 3 1st place all around
- Level 3A 1st place team
Booster Board News
What Do I Need To Know?
- New Member Tab
- Archive Tab - for links to newsletters and meeting minutes
Upcoming Fundraisers - please contact a board member for more information
- We are looking for someone to help organize/plan the Christmas fundraiser - pictures with Santa, hot chocolate, gift wrapping etc. - proposed date will be December 10.
- We are also looking for someone to help plan the team Christmas party - proposed date is December 10.
- Plum Leo - Jennifer Belluci will be heading this up. More to come in October.
- Popcorn fundraiser will be early 2017
- We are looking into possibly having a Chili Cook Off in early March. If anyone has any ideas on how to run one or have previously planned one, please contact a board member.
We presented an idea at the meeting last night to create a spreadsheet of costs associated with meets/coaches fees/travel to help parents whose gymnast may be moving up or having to go to a meet to comp out of a level
- This is a future project and we hope this will help parents understand the costs before getting blind sided with an invoice.
- For those moving up from level 5 to level 6, you will have back to back competition seasons which means after your level 5 season is over, your gymnast will start optional meets in January. The current estimated cost is $2100 if you attend all the meets. This initial cost seems high and we are looking into it further.
Looking for some fun J&R swag/attire:
Daily Fundraising opportunity:
To raise money for our team, please remember when shopping on Amazon the booster club will earn money each time you shop via this link. Just click on the link below and log into your account from there. This link is also on our webpage. We will automatically get credit. Happy shopping everyone!
- If you pre-ordered a team picture, they are here. Please contact Kim Rusk at email@example.com to arrange payment and pickup
- If you missed this team picture, no worries, we are doing another one this fall. More information to come.
Have Comments, Suggestions or Questions?
- You can send comments by clicking on this newsletter and scroll to the bottom or reach any board member directly.
- For any gym related questions (tuition, practice times, meet schedules etc.) please contact your coach or the gym owners.
- For any Booster related questions (booster dues, meet/coach fees, our meetings, fundraising etc.) please contact one of the board members listed in this newsletter or on our website.
Do you know someone that is not receiving this newsletter?
- Please have them contact Kim.firstname.lastname@example.org to be added or they can now view the newsletters on our website.
Forms for Booster Club
Click on the link below to get forms directly from our webpage.
Your Board Members and Team Parent Reps
Vice President - Kim Rusk - email@example.com
Treasurer - Mike Rust - firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary - Virginia Holden - email@example.com
Sergeant-In-Arms - Amy Dahlke - firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Rep Level 2, 4, 5 - Karisa Tidwell - email@example.com
Parent Rep Level 6-10 - Bobbye Joe Morris - firstname.lastname@example.org
Parent Rep Level 3 - Dena Foss - email@example.com
Note: We are looking for a Shining Stars Parent Rep. Please contact a board member if you are interested. The position is responsible for all communication with your team or any questions your parents may have.
Optionals Coaches Corner
From Coach Karen - Optionals levels 6-10
Confirmed Meet Schedule for 2017
- Dec 3-4 Level 7 Texas Challenge - Loves Gymnastics
- Dec - Mock meet at Crenshaws in Austin - Date TBD
- Jan 6-8 Texas Shoot Out - http://www.texasshootoutgymnastics.com/
- Jan 27-29 Metroplex Challenge - http://www.metroplexgymnastics.com/pages/hosted-meets
- Feb 3-5 Alamo Classic
- Feb 17-20 Presidential Classic - http://presidentialclassic.com/
- Feb 24-26 HNI - http://www.hnimeet.org/
- March 11-12 Level 9/10 State Meet - Texas Dreams
- March 17-19 Level 7 State - Woodlands Gymnastics Academy
- March 24-26 Level 8 State - WOGA Frisco
- March 31 - April 2 Level 6 State - World Champion Center
- April 8 Level 9/10 Regionals - Denver
- April 13-15 Level 7 Regionals - Albuquerque, NM
- April 22 Level 8 Regionals - Loveland, Colorado
- April 28-30 Level 9 Westerns - Boise, Idaho
- May 6-7 JO Nationals - Indianapolis, IN
Make up practice for August
- If you want to make up missed practices: Sunday 9/11, 9/18, and 9/25 from 3:00 - 7:00
- Competition leos are ordered and we expect for them to be in by mid October. The cost is $225. Please make arrangements for payment with the gym.
- Don't forget to purchase your leggings and sandals for the upcoming competition season. With the summer season ending, you may have to purchase online.
- Optionals 2017 competition schedule to be published in the next month.
2017 Presidential Classic Meet - 3100 gymnasts competed last year!
- We spoke to the meet director and she gave me the below information. We hope this helps when booking travel. She said she is going to try and use a similar format.
- Level 10 is guaranteed to be on Saturday
- Level 9 is guaranteed to be on Friday or Saturday
- Level 7 & 8 was on Friday, Saturday, Sunday last year
- Level 6 was on Friday and Sunday last year
- Level 5 was on Saturday last year
- Level 4 was on Sunday last year
- Helpful tips: book on Southwest Airlines (no change fees or baggage fees), book your hotel NOW for Thurs to Monday. You can change the dates for free once you get the final schedule. We are also trying to put together a room rate specifically for our team that will have 2-4 bedrooms suites. More to come on that.
- She will guarantee the schedule to be posted on 1/3/17
- She is however, going to try and post the schedule before xmas, please click on the below link for more information about the meet.
These shoes can be found online or at a sports store like Dick’s.
Compulsory Coaches Corner
- Competition attire reminder: black capri leggings (preferrably BCG), hair in a bun with no flyaways, do not use colored hair ties, no clips (bobby pins only), and competition jacket
- The team staff spent their Labor Day weekend at the Gymnastics Association of Texas (GAT) Conference. This is a 2 day education weekend where they learn new techniques, training ideas and how to improve their workouts.
- James Jeffers also received the highest award from GAT the Life Member Award.
We are grateful for the wonderful coaches, athletes and athlete families we get to work with each and every week. One of our keys to success is maintaining and replacing equipment so that everything is in top shape, and is optimally utilized. We recently purchased $17,500 in mats/equipment of which $9,500 was for the direct benefit of our team programming. New competition vault boards, a custom spotting platform that should arrive in a few weeks, replacement of a beam and uneven bars for models the team will compete on more often, and enjoy using more. While other students will use most of these items they were acquired specifically to benefit our team coaches and athletes. These investments are part of our ongoing efforts to provide the greatest training possible for our team athletes.
James and Robin Jeffers
J&R Team Sponsors
Thank you to our Platinum Sponsors
Thank you to our Gold Sponsors
Thank you to our Silver Sponsors
- Gerard Electric
- New Braunfels Body Shop
- Great Trail Horse LLC
- The Retreat Day Spa
- The Wash Tub
- Clariant Oil Services
- Bank of Texas Mortgage, William Ackerman
- Walker Engineering
- Zachary Windrow, MD.
- John & Vivian Windrow
- Matt & Shannon Windrow
- Masters Electric Services
- Tim & Penny McGuine
- Martha Maxwell
- Dean & Erika Braune
- Impress-A-Print Promotional Products LLC.
- Bill & Stephani Windham
- Kristina Jan
- Madison Lowry, MD.
- Pookie Janes
- BBC Oilfield Services LLC.
- The Kyle Law Firm
- Scherzo Bank
Thank you for our Bronze Sponsors
- Living Health
- Mark Elder State Farm Agency
- Lone tree Services
- S&S Crossfit
- Agape Day Spa
- Misty Michell Creations
- Orange Leaf
- 2 Rivers Coffee House
- On The Grind
- Painting With A Twist
- Patricia T. Massburg MD, PLLC.
- A Shop Around the Corner
- New Braunfels Podiatry
- Mind Group
- New Braunfels Feed and Supply
- Texas Farm Bureau Insurance Cameron Armstrong
- Captured by Callie
- Horizon Land Clearing
- James Leveille
- Century 21
- Judy Rusk
- Gramps/Granny Dahlke
- Paw Paw and Grandma Hodges
- Christian Insurance Service
- Brien Wofford, D.O.
- Chris Catlett
- Haley Wilson
- Aliya Muhammad
- Karen & Buddy Fowler
- Kissable Lips, Lasting Impressions
- Jade's Nanadad
- Iron Horse Grill, LLC.
- Jan & Ray Rodriguez
- Gary & Shirley Madsen
- Clarence & Marilyn Simpson
- Kay Kennon
- David & Elizabeth McFarland
- Ben & Shelli Stutzman
- Nana & Papa Vajdos
- Nancy Petty - Nana
- Karen Barganier
- Jeff Barganier
- Angela Royal
- Michelle Clark
- Cielencki & Manning Family