Biweekly Newsletter from Stockbridge High
Community Edition, 11 August 2017
In this issue:
- A Letter from the Principal
- Events around the Bridge
- Personalized Learning in SHS
- Tiger GROWL OUTS feat. Nia K. and Meagan H., our very own Tigers!
- Assistant Principals' Corner
- Student Services
Six Word Short Stories
Mrs. Glisson's 9th Grade Literature and Composition classes
Personalized Learning around SHS
Proudly displaying work!
We go beyond our classroom walls.
Extending our learning is what we do.
A Letter from the Principal
Thank you for your continued support.
Every child has received a copy of our school handbook. This handbook has been developed to ensure consistency of expectations and procedures for our school.
We firmly believe that a strong home and school partnership, along with consistent communications, will help our children achieve in a safe and positive school environment.
Please note that our front office opens at 7:40 and closes at 3:50 p.m. Also, traffic signs have been posted for our parking lot regarding visitors parking. Please keep traffic moving in the outside lane in the student drop-off and pick-up area. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated.
We thank you for your continued support as we look toward a bright and promising year for our children.
Eric Watson, Ed. S.
Stockbridge High School
SHS Football vs Carver Columbus
Friday, Aug. 11th, 7:30-10pm
1151 Old Conyers Road
Events Around the Bridge
Week of Aug 14 – 19
Date Change: EOC Mid-month testing (Aug 18 – 24)
Monday, Aug 14:
5:30 Softball Game vs. Booker T. Washington – Home
7:00 BOE August Regular Meeting
Tuesday, Aug 15:
Wednesday, Aug 16:
9th Grade MAP Testing (see Ms. Clarington's section below for more information)
Thursday, Aug 17:
9th Grade MAP Testing
V and JV Volleyball Games vs. Eastside - Home
5:55 Softball Game vs. Locust Grove - Away
Friday, Aug 18:
EOC Mid-Month testing – Physical Science and Biology
Saturday, Aug 19:
9:00 – 11:00 Parent University and Tutoring
August 21 TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE OF 2017!!!
August 21-25 EOC Mid-month Tests
August 31 ASVAB Tests, 8:30 AM (Please have juniors and seniors sign up in the Counseling Office prior to this date)
September 15 Deadline for 9th and 11th graders to register for Oct 11 PSAT; free for 10th grade
Fall picture retake Friday, September 29
Senior picture Tuesday-Thursday October 10-12
Personalized Learning in SHS
Spotlight on Personalized Learning
Tiger GROWL OUTS!
Nia's Chemistry and Environmental Science teachers prepared Nia well. Kudos to Mason Sheffield, Sheila Midgette, and Dr. J.. Nia stated that she heavily relied on content taught at SHS to lead her Bio-Fuel Team.
Assistant Principals' Corner
from the Office of Lavonda Clarington
MAP Assessment for all 9th grade students starting August 16th. Letters went home on Friday. Below are links to both English and Spanish versions.PSAT - October 11th. Sign-up with Mrs. Johnson in the counseling office. Free for 10th graders, $15 for 9th and 11th graders. Link below to our flyer.
from the Counseling Department
· We have completed all schedule changes as of this past Friday. Any remaining issues can be addressed by emailing the counselor of record or coming to see the counselor before school, during lunch or after school.
· Individual student appointment are being scheduled in the coming days and weeks. Please be on the look-out for additional information regarding this.
· Signs of Suicide (SOS) school awareness program will be implemented new this year. A schedule is being constructed for roll-out to 9th graders in the next couple of months. More information to come.
· STEAM students should make an appointment, if they have not already, to see their counselors to ensure proper course placement.
College Fairs Coming Near You!
Courtesy of PROBE College Fair Tour
*Thursday September 7th Stone Crest Mall from 6-9pm
*Monday September 11th Atlanta North Point Mall 6-9pm
*Wednesday Sept. 13th Gwinnette North Fair Infinite Energy Center 6-8:30pm
*Tuesday September 26th Clayton County Fair @Clayton State College 9am-1pm
*Tuesday September 26th Newnan Fair -Central Education Center 6pm-8pm
*Monday October 2nd Henry County High School 6pm-8pm
*Tuesday October 3rd Macon Fair Middle Georgia State University Campus 6:30-8:30pm
Parent University and Saturday Tutoring
Saturday, Aug. 19th, 9-11am
1151 Old Conyers Road
Saturday Tutoring is for our students who need to work on credit recovery with our certified Teacher Tutors. Students can also test/re-test on certain classes, get ahead on their classes, or just to get clarification.
from C. Melissa Bell, Graduation Coach
- Credit Recovery currently on 3:30-4:30 Tuesdays + Thursdays, no buses
- EOC Mid-month tests August 18-24
- Parent University/Saturday Tutoring August 19
- SAT Administration August 26 (school is open ONLY for SAT administration)
Infinite Campus Access
This year IC password resets will be handled different regarding parents and students.
1. Martey Brown will primarily be handling the parent/guardian accounts.
2. Grace Johnson will primarily be handling the student accounts.
If a parent or student is having trouble logging on to their IC account, please send Ms. Brown or Ms. Johnson an email.
Martey Brown email: email@example.com
Grace Johnson email: firstname.lastname@example.org