3rd Grade Stars
Room 207's Classroom Newsletter: March 2, 2020
By: Kevin, Reeya, & Abdul Kareem
We have begun Module 5 in Math. In this 35-day module, students extend and deepen Grade 2 practice with equal shares to understanding fractions as equal partitions of a whole (2.G.3). Their knowledge becomes more formal as they work with area models and the number line. Throughout the module, students have multiple experiences working with the Grade 3 specified fractional units of halves, thirds, fourths, sixths, and eighths. To build flexible thinking about fractions, students are exposed to additional fractional units such as fifths, ninths, and tenths.
*Please make sure to practice fluency at home by using Xtra math and math concepts using Zearn and Khan Academy.
Black History Month
Bend II introduces students to a new structure-book clubs- which will support children's work for the remainder of the unit. We will continue to read Because of Winn Dixie and explore following a character across a story. Here is a digital copy of the book. Please do not read ahead of where we are in class.
*Ask students what they have learned about Opal's character and why she says and does things. You can also discuss how characters move along a story mountain.
- Simile: a comparison using like or as; Ex. The man was as tall as a tree.
- Metaphor: a comparison not using like or as; Ex: The river was a winding snake in the forest.
- Onomatopoeia: The formation or use of words that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to. Ex: moo, buzz, splat
6 Flags- Read to Succeed
There is still time for your students to register to earn a free Six Flags ticket for reading 6 hours!
Parents can register for Read to Succeed using the details below:
- Register child at sixflags.com/books using code YQYG1
- By April 17, complete the online reading log for your child.
- Expect a Six Flags Great America ticket for your child in May!
Riddles of the Month
- Etga's: What moves but does not have arms and leg, and cries but does not have eyes?
- Yasir's: What is the coldest letter in the alphabet?
- Kevin's: What runs but has no legs, you need me but I don't? What am I?
- Abdul Kareem's: Why couldn't the pirate play cards?
*Turn in a note to Mrs. Jordan's note bin with your name and the answer to the riddle for a chance to earn a cool tool!
Important March Dates
Friday, 3/6: Second Trimester Ends
Sunday, 3/8: Daylight Savings
Monday, 3/9: Early Dismissal @ 11:30am, AM Schedule
Friday, 3/13: Report Cards E-mailed Home
Monday, 3/16: Spring Pictures
Tuesday, 3/17: No School- Presidential Election
Thursday, 3/19: PM Parent Teacher Conferences, 5-8pm
Friday, 3/20: No School for Students- Parent Teacher Conferences, 8-11am
Monday, 3/23- Friday 2/27: No School- Spring Break
Wednesday, 4/1: Deadline to order a Yearbook!