The Weekly Update #11 10/16th
October 16th, 2023
Weekly News (Week of October 16th)
Principal Nelson's Thoughts
Need to Know
- Forsyth County Schools will have a district-wide K-12 Online Learning Day on October 19th. Students will not report to school. If you have tech troubles, click here for online learning day help resources.
- October 19th is also a day available for Parent Conferences. Conferences can be scheduled with your child's homeroom teacher.
- October 20th is a student holiday.
- Club signups will open on October 17th in SchoolPay at 6pm. Clubs will begin the week of October 30th. Please click here to view the club session offerings.
- Red Ribbon Week is 10/23-10/27. This year we are focusing on "Be Kind to Your Mind, Live Drug Free!" See below for dress up days and more details.
- Please see the flyer below to learn more about the Stakeholder Summit, which provides stakeholders an opportunity to learn more about workforce development in Forsyth County schools.
- The Forsyth County Health Department is partnering with Forsyth County Schools to conduct a No-Cost Flu Shot Clinic. Please see details below.
- All ice cream birthday orders must be placed in SchoolPay no later than 4pm on the Thursday before the week you would like to celebrate the birthday.
- Past newsletters are archived on our school website and can be found here
Need to do
- If you need help becoming a Parent Observer in Canvas, check out this page!
- Bus driver appreciation week is next week. We need your help to show our drivers how valued they are. See below for more details.
- Make sure that you sign up for a Parent/Teacher Conferences. Your child's teacher will be reaching out via email with more information.
- If your student has a Veteran in the family, we would love to honor them at our Annual Veteran's Day Ceremony on November 10th. Please complete this form by November 6th at 11:59.
- If interested, see details on how to order your 7 Mindsets t-shirt here!
- Did you forget to order a house shirt? It’s not too late! Order your child’s house shirt here https://sharonhouse.itemorder.com.
A HUGE Thank You to....
Our amazing Cultural Night Chair, Catie MacDonald for leading the effort to create a fabulous, fun, educational, community-centered event!
The whole Cultural Night Committee for all of their work behind the scenes to make it happen, including Myra Bandoo, Elana Law, Lavanaya Palaparthy, and Kinsey Ward!
And last but certainly not least, to all our FAMILIES THAT HOSTED, for sharing your food, your culture, and your experiences with the whole community. We are better together, and we are all better for getting to learn more about each other!
Volunteer Role Spotlight: Social Media Chair
Do you know your way around facebook & instagram? Love Canva, or willing to learn a fun new tool? Then this is the job for YOU! Help create and schedule posts to keep the Sharon Fam up to date on what's coming up, and post pictures of fun stuff that's happened. Contact SharonPTOcommunications@gmail.com to learn more!
Yearbooks (all Sharon)
Don’t delay ordering your yearbook! The ONLY way to guarantee that you’ll receive a yearbook is to place your order on-line. Last day to lock in your $30 price is 10/13/23. Prices go up incrementally after that, all ordering must be completed by 1/12/24. CLICK HERE to order.
Yearbook (5th grade only)
Families of 5th graders: want to have a personal message to your 5th grader in the yearbook? Be sure to submit your congratulatory message to them by 11/30/23. Don’t delay, place it today! Yearbook message ads are available for $30/each. CLICK HERE to create an ad.
Want Your Kid in the Yearbook?
We are currently looking for pictures from: Walk to School Days and Cultural Night. Please help us fill up the 23-24 Sharon yearbook with great photos!
1. Download the "Yearbook Snap" app (made by Walsworth Publishing) to your phone.
2. Find your child's school: "Sharon Elementary". The passcode is "Knights".
3. Upload photo and note what school event it was taken at, or if it is a general candid photo, include the grade level (example: 2nd grade recess). Unfortunately, photos cannot be used unless there is a note on them saying what event the photo is from.
2023 Bus Driver Appreciation Week
We can't wait to shower our Bus Drivers with sweet thoughts this week! The school and PTO have planned some treats, but we need YOUR student's help on next Tuesday to send in a note or card thanking your bus driver! See attached printable, or make your own note. Thanks for making our Bus Drivers feel loved!
- Our October Mindset is "We are Connected!" This mindset encourages students to seek out and maximize positive relationships with people who can help them achieve their dreams. Students will explore the idea of surrounding themselves with people who build them up and inspire them to live their best lives. They will learn to actively seek ways to offer kindness in order to strengthen these relationships! You can encourage your student to find these positive relationships and build their dream team!
17-Grading Window Closes (4:00 PM)
- 17 PTO Spirit Night TBA
- 18-Report Card Release on Parent Portal
- 18-Family Connect Night
- 19-Online Student Learning Day/Teacher Conferences
- 20-Student Holiday
- 23-Dress as your favorite community helper
- 24-Wear red
- 25-Wear your favorite Team shirt
- 26-NEO meeting
- 26-Wear camouflage
- 27-Mini House Cup Competition
- 27- Wear your favorite Fall or Halloween shirt
- 28-Lambert Trunk or Treat
- 31-Book Character dress up day
Click to see our School Calendar for more dates throughout the year!
⭐ Shining Knights ⭐
5th Grade Spotlight
Online Learning Day October 19th
All of Forsyth County Schools will be involved in our first planned system wide Online Learning Day on Thursday, October 19th.
If you are a family that needs a device for your child to complete work at home, please complete the form as soon as possible to see if you are eligible to receive one of our Emergency Connectivity Funds (ECF) Chromebooks. We only have a limited number of devices remaining to be checked out to students. Families who are undergoing financial hardships will be prioritized.
If your application to receive one of these devices is approved, you will receive a follow up email from our ETC, Sara Pritchard with additional steps. If you have questions, please email our ETC at email@example.com
Students are expected to log onto Canvas and complete assignments. You will see the image linked here on each teacher's Canvas Homepage for the week of October 16th to take students to their assignments for the day.