Mrs. Drew's Weekly Update
4th grade: Week of 5/31
THIS WEEK IN 4TH GRADE...
- Language Arts: This week we began our final DRA reading assessments and finished iReady assessments, too. The students also continued to work hard on their newspaper articles. Soon our newspaper will be done! The students also finished their final Wordly Wise vocabulary lesson, and began learning our final grammar concepts (conjunctions, interjections, adjectives).
- Social Studies: We finished our Government unit with our unit test on Tuesday. After that, we've been practicing our state capitols, and are throwing in some countries' capitols, too. Next week we will have a small geography quiz on capitols, continents, etc. On Friday the students began creating Amendment books. Their task is to choose a few Amendments from the Constitution to explain and illustrate.
- Science: STEM Unit Week 1: We've begun discussing how to harness wind. The students learned the meaning of technology, engineers, and the Engineering Design Process. In preparation for building windmills next week, the students learned the difference between windmills and wind turbines and began thinking about properties of sails.
- Math: This week we finished chapter 15, working with decimals. The students learned to round, estimate sums and differences, and add and subtract decimals. We will take our chapter test on Monday.
NEXT WEEK IN 4TH GRADE...
- Language Arts: Final Grammar due Thursday; final Spelling due Friday; finish classroom newspaper articles; reading: Greek mythology; DRA reading assessments
- Social Studies: geography; quiz on capitols/geography- Students may use this link to practice:http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/USA_Geography/USA_Caps_1_1024.html
- Science: complete STEM unit on windmills & take final assessment
- Math: test on ch. 15 (Add and subtract decimals); complete Bakery project (fractions/decimals)
- June 3rd (F): All library books due (today)
- June 6 (M): Music & Drama showcase (2:30-3:30); We'd love to have you join us! :)
- June 9 (Th): OPT End of Year party (6-9 pm)
- June 10th (F): All iPads and chargers due back to school (Your child MUST know their login information in order to return their iPads. Please make sure they know their passwords.)
- June 13-15 (M-W): Free Dress!
- June 13 (M): Yearbooks go home
- June 14 (T): Wear clothes that can get dirty. Along with out other activities, we will be doing some classroom cleanup!
- June 15 (W): Last day of school! Dismissal at 12:00. No Extended Care.
- June 16-17 (Th-F): Summer holidays begin (No camp available)
- June 20 (M): First day of summer. Evergreen Summer Camps begin