Our Town Happenings Week #15
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of December 7 - 11, 2015
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- finish expository composition #1: My Favorite Season
- grammar: correlative conjunctions (either/or, neither/nor, etc.); review
- continue early Texas explorers; begin LaSalle
- begin Phase 2 (Product Creation) of Culture project AT HOME
- for specific info on project, see newsletter link below
- financial literacy, week #4
- checkpoint on Friday
- author's purpose in non-fiction text
- begin review for Benchmark 1
- Sitton Spelling Unit 14 Core Words: round, dark, past, ball, girl
- for extended word list, see link below
- thermal & light energy
- begin car & ramp inquiry lab
- VOCAB TEST MOVED TO THURSDAY 12/10
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- LET IT GO! Used Book Fair ALL WEEK in the Community Room
- Hour of Code Week
- Red Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Performing Arts)
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Visual Art, LaCombe/PE)
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Visual Art)
- sign up for Culture Project presentation day (Monday 12/14 - Thursday 12/17) available in Google Classroom Social Studies Class
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- Science Vocab Quiz - see links below for practice options
- Blue Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Library)
- social studies presentation days posted for 12/14 - 12/17
- spell check over Sitton Unit 14
- operations timed test
- math checkpoint
- NO READING HOMEWORK UNTIL NEXT YEAR DUE TO SOCIAL STUDIES CULTURE PROJECT
- Sumdog Challenge - in student account when they log in
- culture research project to be completed AT HOME by 12/13; presentations begin Monday 12/14
- see culture research project link in feed above for details
- study for Making Connections Vocab Quiz #2 (to be given THURSDAY 12/10 - rescheduled from Tuesday 12/8)
OUR TOWN HOLIDAY PARTY
Our Town Holiday Party
Friday, Dec. 18th, 9:45-10:45am
Reagan Elementary, Our Town Classrooms
Hour of Code is a movement sponsored by code.org that believes every student in every school, regardless of gender or race, should have the opportunity to learn computer science. They have created Hour of Code, a week long push in December to expose as many students as possible to computer coding. Because of the effort of code.org, 98 MILLION students in over 180 countries have written over FOUR BILLION lines of code (and counting!) since it's inception in 2013.
At Reagan, students participate in Hour of Code during their library time (and not only produced some really impressive end products, but had a BLAST doing it - thanks to Mrs. Brymer, our amazing librarian!). We will also be spending some time in the computer lab building codes and exploring this new & upcoming world.
But a week long push is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to coding. There is so much more that students can do with the resources that code.org makes available. Use the links below to check out some of the options that are out there, and get coding!
More information on Code.org, including links, is at our website (linked in the title above). We also have a Code Crazy - You Try! page on our website for students (and parents!) to try their hand at coding.
UPCOMING DATES - UPDATED THROUGH THE END OF THE YEAR!!
- Monday 12/7 - True Colors Parent Workshop
- Friday 12/18 - 4th Grade Holiday Parties; 9:45 - 10:45 in classrooms
- 12/21 - 1/1/16 - LISD Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
- Monday 1/4 - School resumes
- Friday 1/8 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress-Up) - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday 1/15 - End of 1st Semester
- Monday 1/18 - Staff Development / Student Holiday
- Wednesday 1/20 - 2nd 9 Weeks report cards sent home
- Monday 2/1 - Tuesday 2/2 - Staff Development / Student Holiday
- Friday 2/5 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Geriatric Attack (Dress up like a Sr. Citizen in honor of the 100th day of school :)
- Wednesday 2/10 - Karen LaCombe's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 2/17 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- TX Independance Day - Dress like a Texan in 4th
- Sunday 3/13 - Daylight Savings Time - SPRING FORWARD!
- Monday 3/14 - Friday 3/18 - NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- Friday 3/25 - NO SCHOOL - Good Friday
- Tuesday 3/29 - 4th Grade Writing STAAR Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Friday 4/1 - End of the 3rd 9 weeks
- Friday 4/1 - First Fun Friday in 4th Grade - Illuminocity Atrocity - Dress in BRIGHT colors!
- Monday 4/4 - Stephanie Beasley's 29th birthday
- Wednesday 4/6 - report cards sent home
- 4/22 - Earth Day
- Monday 4/25 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade >70% in any subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 3rd & 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home
- Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!
LISD ADDING FIVE MINUTES TO THE SCHOOL DAY
Beginning Monday, Jan. 4, 2016, Leander ISD will be adding five minutes to the school day. Elementary campuses will end five minutes later, and high schools will start five minutes earlier, with the exception of Cedar Park High School, which will remain on the same schedule. The new school hours for LISD elementary campuses will be 7:45 a.m. – 2:50 p.m. and high schools will be 8:40 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. Middle school hours will not change, and Cedar Park High School hours will not change.
House Bill 2610, which was passed this last legislative session, requires that public school students receive 75,600 minutes of instruction, instead of 180 days. As a result, LISD is lengthening the school day by five minutes at the elementary and high school campuses (except CPHS). LISD middle schools are not impacted by the new law, nor is CPHS, as their school day already meets the requirements of the law.
If your student rides the bus and his or her route is impacted by this change, LISD Transportation services will notify you of your child’s new pick-up/drop-off time.
HOLIDAY GIVING OPPORTUNITIES
PTA EVENTS / OPPORTUNITIES
PTA HOLIDAY SPIRIT STICKS
USED BOOK FAIR
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.