10 Facts about alcohol abuse
- Women absorb absorb alcohol into the bloodstream faster and metabolize it slower than men
- Moderate use (2-3 drinks) can results a loss of motor coordination for up to 12 to 18 hours after drinking
- A high proportion of deaths from falls, fires and burns and drownings are due to alcohol
- 8% of all ER visits each year for illness or injuries are associated with alcohol.
- One third of suicides are associated with alcohol misuse.
- Vomiting is part of the automatic defense system of the body activated to prevent more alcohol from being absorbed.
- More than half of current drinkers have a family history of alcoholism
- Binge Drinking is more common in men than in women.
- The average age teen boys first try alcohol is age 11, for teen girls it’s 13.
- In 2010, 56 percent of drivers aged 15 to 20 who were killed in motor vehicle crashes after drinking and driving were not wearing a seat belt.