Students Without Borders Academy
INFO ZOOM MEETING WEDNESDAY 8:00 pm
In grades 10/11 this year? Consider applying for the 2021/22 school year
Click here to join: Join Zoom Meeting
Students Without Borders Academy (SWBA) works with students interested in an exciting learning adventure. Step out from behind the desk and spend a full semester building deep friendships while connecting with meaningful learning.
SWBA IS FOR BC STUDENTS WHO WILL BE IN GRADES 11/12.
READ ABOUT SWBA HERE: FAMILY INFORMATION PACKAGE
SEE APPLICATIONS HERE: SWBA Application
TEACHER REFERENCE FORM HERE: TEACHER Reference
NON-TEACHER/NON FAMILY REFERENCE HERE: NON-TEACHER Reference
CURIOUS? Contact Director David Fehr at email@example.com
COSTS FOR THE ENTIRE SEMESTER: $5,000.
SWBA is dedicated to real-world experience, becoming participant observers (Cultural Anthropology). We visit several distinct indigenous and cultural groups on field study. We also participate in 2 homestays in Panama.
Each year SWBA students get involved in projects to promote education, community and equality. We believe getting interested in the world leads to getting involved.
Students receive credit for five courses during the semester: Spoken Language/English 11 or English 12, Social Justice 12 or Social Studies 11, Leadership 11/12, Comparative Cultures 12, Intro Spanish/Span 11.
What are people saying?
"A very awesome program! This is the best groups of students that we have ever had at ITEC. I truly wish that every group that comes to ITEC could be as wonderful to work with as SWBA. I would recommend this program to anyone!" - Joe Maher ITEC
WHAT RECENT PARENTS ARE SAYING...
- “My daughter was inspired to make a difference in the very first week”
- “I saw fundamental changes in the way my child looks at the world”
- “We were included in the process and informed all along the way”
- “My son looks forward to going to school like never before”
- “The program is not to be missed – outstanding from start to finish”
WHAT SWBA ALUMNI ARE SAYING...
- SWBA has undoubtedly been the best decision of my life to date. Many people perceive SWBA as 'that program where you go to Panama'... this is true, yet it is so much more than that. Not only did the lessons and hands-on experiences provided by this program both challenge and change me as a person, but I also walked away with an irreplaceable set of experiences and friendships that have each contributed to shaping me into a better leader, critical thinker, communicator and collaborator. This program has expanded my awareness (both of self and the surrounding world) immensely, and though it has been close to three years since I undertook SWBA as a student, I still reflect on my experiences daily. If you are on the fence about whether or not to apply for SWBA, I highly recommend that you do.
- An incredible program which shaped and inspired me in more ways than I can count. 4 years later, I continue to see how the values and skills I developed in SWBA have guided nearly everything I do. Above all this simple question Fehr often asked has stuck with me: “how shall you so then live?” I continue to ask myself often how what I see, what I know, and what I believe impacts the way I choose to live. Thank you Mr Fehr!!!
- I can’t recommend SWBA enough, it is an incredibly unique experience & will teach you so many lessons that simply can’t be taught in a typical classroom. SWBA challenges you to grow in leadership, teamwork, personal development, & helps you to gain a greater perspective of the world around you. You’ll have 23 amazing new friends and make tons & tons of hilarious, transformative, and unforgettable memories. Apply apply apply!!!!
- It's been 6 years since I did this program and I strongly believe that it has had a major influence on who I am today. I am so so thankful for it and the impact it's had on my life!