The 2B Times
Issue 10 - February 12, 2016
Dear 2B Families,
We'd like to thank the parents who joined us on our field trip to the Drawing Center last week. It is always nice to have parents involved and we enjoyed how the trip connected with the sign and symbol representations that we talk about in Inquiry. We'd also like to thank parents who have donated books and other goodies to our classroom, we really appreciate your help in In addition to our field trip, the Gritty Geckos attended a first whole-school Town Hall meeting! We enjoyed seeing everyone in the school and look forward to our next one coming up soon!
- In Literacy, we have begun the writing process of our All About books! We are working on how to organize the notes we took from our research so that our readers can better understand our topic. For example, we will ask ourselves “Does it make sense to talk about the types of lizards first or lizard’s body parts first?” While writing, we are also thinking about adding nonfiction text features, such as an appropriate heading for the section or important keywords that need to be defined for our readers. We will continue to work hard on forming our All About Books when we return from the break.
- Interclass Math Block has picked up steam as our scholars are exploring different strategies with different teachers. Our students have been put in rooms with teachers who have similar learning styles and preferences in order to meet our students' needs. We have matriculated through this unit and wrapped it up by emphasizing the different strategies we can use to solve addition and subtraction problems. Some strategies are HTO chart (place value disk and base 10 blocks), compensation, constant difference, number line, and tape diagram. Please take a look at how some of these strategies are used in the pictures below.
- In Inquiry, we are exploring not only about how communication for people have changed over time but we are also interested in finding out about how animals communicate. We’ve already brainstormed some animals that we’d like to learn about, including birds, ants, elephants, wolves, etc. When we return from the break, we will delve into learning about how animals communicate and how some types can even communicate through sign language!
- Monday, 2/15 to Friday, 2/19 - Mid-Winter Recess: No School
- Saturday, 3/12 - BPCS Spring Gala
- Wednesday, 3/23 - Winter Curriculum Share
- Thursday, 3/24 - BPCS Pajama Day
- Friday, 3/25 - Good Friday: No School
- Wednesday, 3/30 - Friday, 4/1 - Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Friday, 4/1 - No School
- Homework: Homework 18 is optional. Please have students try some pages during the week. This homework will not be collected. When completing homework, please remind students to write their name and in complete sentences when answering questions.
2nd Grade Trick Words
Here are the Trick Words that we worked on so far in Second Grade. Please support your child in consistently spelling trick words correctly by having them double check their spelling in their homework!
answer, different, think, again, house
through, around, picture, change, learn
large, small animal, right, left
place, most, sound, follow, means
idea, important, world, high, excited
below, school, hear, earth, eyes
thought, story, while, along, close
something, seem, example, begin, began
lose, life, paper, group, often
Mr. Hicks as Coach Hick
As some of you may know, Coach Hicks is also the assistant varsity coach of The Benjamin Banneker Warriors Varsity team. Our varsity team made the playoffs with a 16-1 record in league play and a 18-4 record overall. We are excited to pursue an ‘A’ division New York City championship. Please visit this link for more information on our upcoming playoff schedule which will be posted on February 16th.
In this strategy, we draw the problem using place value disks or base 10 blocks and then either add on more or take away.
In this strategy, we need to determine how many jumps to make on a number line so that we are working with easier numbers and can get to our answer.
We can use an any way to solve the problem but the tape diagram helps us to see the two parts and whole in the problem.
Field Trip Crazies
Funny faces on the train!
More Field Trip Crazies
A bit too excited...
The Drawing Center
After analyzing Jennifer Bartlett's drawings, we got to draw our own personal favorite space.
We are so concerned about what goes into our writing!
Jumping in excitement because we feel so successful when we can solve math problems in different ways.
Interclass Math Block Game: Math Bingo
Coach M practicing math fluency with us!
Tucker the Puppy
Coach M and her mom brought in their puppy, Tucker, for a visit one day. We couldn't stop looking at it and playing with it!
Say cheese... not ready!
Always need to do a silly face version!
When Coach M or Ms. Siby is out, Coach Hicks takes over and has a basketball session with them.
In these basketball centers, we practice how to dribble, to shoot, etc.
BPCS is starting a new tradition of Town Hall meetings, a time in which everyone comes together to talk about our school community. This will happen about once a month either in the gym or the MPR. We will get to ask questions, move our bodies, and even play some games!
Happy Valentine's Day!!!
DANCE with Ms. Siby
2nd Grade dancers have sprung into their new dance unit, by exploring the magnetic forces of attraction and repulsion. Starting with creating partnering dances, using actual magnets, and culminating in explosive duets inspired by the virtuosic dancing in the acclaimed Lindy Hop choreography, Hellzapoppin!
Please view clips of the video that ignited our creativity, photos that inspired our choreography and pictures of our very own dances. Enjoy!
POD en Español!!
Are you ready to hear the new news—the new Spanish? Ok, 2B is doing POD in Spanish! ¡Sí, en español! ¿Qué, qué? It has been very delightful to see 2B growing and accepting the language in different and challenging ways. I want to say: we are great RISK-TAKERS! During our Spanish POD 2A moved from different stations (15 min each) that consisted of reading, writing, art, Bingo, and Rosado (Spelling game!). We are practicing our writing in Spanish a lot! We made post cards for our secret friends! Shhh… secreto. Hoy viernes 12 de febrero de 2016 we celebrate el día del Amor y la Amistad, (or día de San Valentín) by decoding Rosado Love Letter!!! ¿Qué, qué?
Thanks for all the support in our Spanish process. Please continue practicing at home by singing, speaking, reading and now WRITING in Spanish!
¡Feliz día de San Valentin!