New OES Literacy Materials
The OES Literacy Committee Recommends Wit & Wisdom
What is Wit & Wisdom?
- Layered learning through multiple readings of the text with more complex questions answered at each layer leads to a deep knowledge of the topic.
- Integrated content that is connected to social studies and science.
- Uses real books.
Why Wit & Wisdom?
- Deep Student Learning: builds deep learning aligned to the Iowa Core Standards.
- Student Engagement: students are deeply engaged in learning through real quality texts.
- Accessible for ALL Students: repeated readings of text and protocols that slowly increase the depth of thinking make the learning accessible and differentiated for all students.
- Alignment of Materials: the series aligns to Fundations and Geodes used for phonics instruction.
- Cross-Curricular Connections: connections to social studies, art, science, and music that make the learning meaningful and aligned.
- Deep Knowledge: builds deep knowledge which leads to improved connections, vocabulary, and writing skills.
Also, student feedback has been very positive. They love the books and look forward to reading, writing, and thinking. Teachers are reporting improved thinking and writing skills in students in piloting classrooms.
What are the Vision, Mission, and Guiding Principles of Literacy Instruction at OES?
How Does Wit & Wisdom Work?
What Books Will Students Be Reading?
What Do You Mean When You Say, "The Committee Recommends Wit & Wisdom?"
Can the Public View the Recommended Materials?
Who Can I Contact With Questions?
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
BSE, MAT, Ed.D Candidate