The Horseshoe Review
The Copeland PTO Newsletter
President's Corner by Cree Sanford
Boosterthon Glow Run is coming soon! That’s right... Boosterthon is back!! Just as in the past we anticipate Boosterthon to be a great success! We’ve just kicked-off our fun two weeks on Tuesday, October 24th. You should have received a flyer last Thursday in your child’s folder explaining what Boosterthon is all about. If you need more information, please check out our website at www.copelandpto.org! We hope that this will be another successful year with the fundraising aspect, but I know it will be a huge success with our kiddos. The funds from Boosterthon will go to update our beloved library! We encourage you to come out on Thursday, November 3rd for the Boosterthon Glow Run. It is always a fun time for both the parents and the students. Come and join in the fun!!
Thanks to the numerous volunteers at Copeland. The services you continually provide are invaluable and very much appreciated. We couldn’t do with you!!
As always, if you have any questions regarding the PTO or volunteering in general, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTO Executive Board
- President- Cree Sanford 713-304-7016 email@example.com
- Cultural Arts- Karen Thomas 832-594-3720 firstname.lastname@example.org
- VIPS Coordinator- Mollianne Murray 7138290638 email@example.com
- Social Media Coordinator- Nick Gatto 713-203-0681 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fundraising- Miranda Daniells 713-261-7297 email@example.com
- Treasurer- Michael Lee 858-776-4407 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary- Cynthia Miller 832-326-1545 email@example.com
VIPS News by Molli Murray
It’s almost November and we still have lots of volunteer opportunities!!
PTO Boosterthon Glowrun is coming!!! This will take place on November 3rd and we need volunteers to mark the back of shirts as the kids run laps. We need 10 volunteers for each grade level, but we also need you to come cheer!! It will take place during PEAM for each grade. Here is a link to the Signup Genius to volunteer:
And here is the PEAM schedule:
Grade Level PEAM
The next day, Nov 4th is Colonial Day for the 5th grade. We need lots of volunteers to make this a successful and fun day. We are having trouble getting enough volunteers, so if there are any 4th grade parents that want to come and help out at this special event, we would really appreciate it. We would prefer that if you are volunteering you dress up in Colonial costume, but if you are able to volunteer and can’t find a costume, please wear black pants and a white shirt for the guys and a plain skirt and white shirt for the ladies. We would rather have you there than not!
There are lots of other opportunities to support Copeland and volunteer such as:
- Reader parents are needed on Friday afternoons in Kinder 1st and 2nd. Please check with your grade level HRC for a link to sign up.
- Parents and students are needed to help water and tend the 3rd grade garden in front of the school.
- Each grade level has interactive demos provided by the SRC (Science Resource Center) thought out the year, and volunteers are needed ton be trained and present the information. Please see info below in the SRC section of the Horseshoe Review.
- The library always needs volunteers to help check books, reshelve items and help students find a just right book.
- Music and Art need volunteers and supplies all year round.
Please contact me for more information about any of these volunteer opportunities. Don’t forget to log your hours!!
If you haven't registered before go to this link (takes about a week to get login):
And then this one to log:
If you have any questions or comments regarding our VIPS program or would like to volunteer, please contact me at 713-829-0638 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
this is the registration form you will be asked to fill out when you register
Science Resource Center--Selina Sauceda
Thank you so much to all the volunteers who have been trained for Demos. Because of your dedication to our students, Demos will begin at Copeland next week! Thank you to the following volunteers:
Emily Bargas, Mary Rivera, Lesia Linton, Amanda Ball, Kathy Study, Alya Hidayatallah, Sue Ann Rose, Cynthia Davalos, and Nora Ponder!
If you are interested in volunteering for a SRC Demo training, here are the available training opportunities in the next few weeks. All trainings are from 9:30-11:30 at the SRC. To sign up, simply email me at email@example.com.
Nov. 1: 2nd Grade Reptiles
Nov. 4: Kinder Hedgehogs
Nov. 10: Pre-K Animal Friends
Nov 16: 4th Aquatic Birds Study Skins
There will also be a Nature Trails Training, held at the Nature Trails Location, on November 16th at the following times:
3rd Grade: 10-11:30
5th Grade: 12:30-2:00
Fundraising by Miranda Daniells
Hey Copeland parents! Our fall fundraiser is finally here! The Colts L.E.A.D. Glow Run pep rally kicked off this week during PEAM and the kids are super pumped and excited! It was such a joy seeing all their bright faces light up while they danced to the Whip/ Nae Nae! Mega Mike and the Boosterthon Team have been wonderful at getting the kids motivated and excited about making a difference for Copeland. They have been hard at work on our school campus daily, promoting fitness and providing daily character lessons to show our kids how they can make a difference at school and at home. I pray your students have had a great time learning how they can impact their community through these daily Backyard Box Office character lessons. This year our goal is to renovate our well-loved Copeland library and bring it into the 21st century. This would not be possible without your help. Parents. The first thing you can do is log on to www.funrun.com and register your student. Next, you have the option of uploading a photo of your student to the Student Star Video. You can then send this to friends and family to enter pledges and donations for your students. It’s super easy and can all be done seamlessly from your smart phone. Thank you so much for all your support!
With Boosterthon you can help students raise funds for their school! Parents can register their students and track their progress during the fundraising events.
Spirit Cart- by Crystal Beard
A HUGE thank you goes out to all of our Spirit Cart supporters. Our October Spirit Cart was a great success. We are looking forward to getting out new merchandise for November. October volunteers for Spirit Cart came out in droves and we cannot express how much your help is appreciated! Thank you for volunteering your time, I know students enjoy the opportunity to shop and they wouldn’t be able to do it without volunteers like YOU!
Yearbooks-by Cheri Villareal
If you have photos to submit for the yearbook for first day of school or anytime throughout the year upload the replayit app on your device or send to the email above. In school activities only please.
Kindergarden News by Lindsay Gatto
Hello again amazing Kindergarten parents! It is hard to believe that we are headed into the last week of October! Here are just a few reminders for the next few weeks to keep in mind!
- Our Oil Ranch field trip was a huge success! The kids had a blast and made some amazing memories! If you were a chaperone and took pictures, please send them to Lindsay Gatto at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will submit them to the yearbook chairman!
- If you are interested in ordering a LEAD t-shirt for your student, a second order will be available online through School Cash. Information went home in your child's Thursday folder. We are wearing our shirts on Mondays and would love for your child to participate! (FYI- no cash or checks accepted at this time. All orders will be sold online.)
- Boosterthon is right around the corner!! Mark you calendars for November 3rd!! Kindergarten will have a start time of 9:10am and finish roughly at 10:05am!! We hope to see you there!!
- Don't forget that Tuesday November 1st is the 50th day of school!! Students are encouraged to dress like they are living in the 1950's!!
Terrific 3rd Graders--Jennifer Emerson
To facilitate the wonderful gardening work of our terrific third graders, our gardening teacher is in need of a few items:
· Child-sized gardening gloves to be donated for use in the garden. Please send to school with your student at any time.
· 16.9 fl oz. water bottles for a gardening project happening on November 30th. Please send empty water bottles with the cap attached to school with your student anytime between now and November 30.
Our next Spirit Cart date is November 18th, please watch for upcoming emails on opportunities to volunteer. Don’t’ forget about Boosterthon on November 3rd! Also, thank-you for continuing to save your Boxtops for Education and sending them in with your child!
If you have pictures of our 3rd graders from any school activity, please be sure to upload them to get them into the yearbook (see October Horseshoe Review for the steps to do this).
Any questions about third grade activities, reach out to Jennifer Emerson at Jennifer.email@example.com
Phenomenal 5th Graders by Jane Zener
Colonial Days is on November 4th. Keep working on a costume for your child. If you’re able to help out for part or all of that day, please contact your HRC. The kids will be rotating through various stations so many hands will make light work (candle making, weaving, visit with Ben Franklin, etc).
Mark your calendars for the 5th grade musical Dear Santa– December 13th at 6:30. Please send in a USB drive or blank CD to Ms. Vigil so she can download the music. Then your child will be able to practice at home.