MJS Kinder Press
November 16th, 2015 - Week 10
Red, White and Blue Day in Kindergarten!
NATIVITY PLAY UPDATES
PARENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY - Nativity Play Costume Fittings
We will NEED PARENTS TO ARRIVE AT 12:30 P.M. on Monday, November 23rd, outside of Mrs. Agundez's classroom for costume instructions. Feel free to send Mrs. Agundez a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join us.
Veteran's Day Event
Wind Blowing? HAVE PINE CONES?
We started the week working with numbers to 30. We then practiced the skill of estimation. Lastly we introduced a 100 chart! We discovered patterns with the numbers to 100 and learned how to plug in missing numbers. We will continue this through next week.
At the end of last week, the kindergartners finished learning about the SUPERKIDS character, Icky, who loves television. The children had a chance to play in the TV boxes and some students gave weather reports or put on a show from the TV! This week the students have begun to find out about a new set of SUPERKIDS friends named Tic, Tac and Toc. The friends form a trio and have lots of fun and adventures we will hear about all week during language arts.
We have learned the story of Jonah and the Big Fish. Jonah made a bad choice and didn't obey God, but then he made a good choice to follow God's directions. We are making choices every day and learning to do what is right.
SAVE THE DATE! Upcoming Events
Donuts with Dads in the HPAC from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m
Last Names beginning with A-L
Wednesday, November 18th - Book Fair Event
Donuts with Dads in the HPAC from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
Last Names beginning with M-Z
Thursday, November 19th - Last Day of Book Fair
7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Friday, November 20th - Kindergarten Thanksgiving Feast
11:00 a.m. in the HPAC
Wednesday, November 25th - NO SCHOOL
Beginning of Thanksgiving Holiday -
Extended Care Closed.
Thursday, December 3rd - All School DRESS REHEARSAL For Nativity Play
11:00 a.m. in the HPAC
Friday, December 4th - Kindergarten Nativity Play - FINAL PERFORMANCE
11:00 a.m. in the HPAC
Friday, December 11th - Mothers' Christmas Luncheon
11:30 a.m. in the Gym
Friday, December 18th - Half Day Dismissal at 12:00 p.m.
Beginning of Christmas Break and Extended Care will be open.
Monday, January 4th - First Day of School after Christmas Vacation.
Donuts with Dads and Special Friends
This is a time-honored tradition for our Mayfield dads and special friends to have
the early morning to spend with their students. There will be hot coffee for adults, and donuts, fruit, and juice for everyone. Head into Book Fair in the HPAC with your family, pick up your Student Wish List(s), and pick out books for purchase. Family visits during these two days are divided by last name, and are noted below under Book Fair Schedule. Our adult friends will receive a blessing during Morning Prayer.
SUPERKIDS ONLINE PROGRAM!
The weekly TIc-Tac-Toe sheet sent home for homework includes one or two boxes your student can utilize when accessing the SUPERKIDS program online.
THANKSGIVING FEAST UPDATE
We would like to extend an invitation for ALL PARENTS TO ATTEND THIS EVENT. The children will be dressed up in costumes designed specifically to reflect the first Thanksgiving meal with the Native Americans. The kindergartners are excited to share their knowledge of the the first Thanksgiving with each family!
If any of our families cannot make it to the Thanksgiving Feast, feel free to have a family member or close friend attend on your behalf. We also will have some staff members joining us who would love to be seated with children who may not have any family members in attendance on Friday, November 20th.
- Please let us know how many persons will be joining us for the Thanksgiving feast (e.g. two parents and a grandparent for a total of 3). We will be setting up tables for this event and want to make sure we have a spot for everyone in your party.
- If you could provide the names of persons attending our feast, we will coordinate seating of the kindergartners with their families.
- Bring a camera to take pictures.
- You can drop your family dish off in your classroom on Friday morning, November 20th BEFORE SCHOOL begins, if that is more convenient for our families. If you are cooking or baking the morning of the feast, feel free to drop the dish off in the HPAC (Performing Arts Center) before the event begins at 11:00 a.m. We will heat up or microwave any dishes that need to be warmed up for the event.
- Please label any dishes and/or serving utensils brought to the feast (masking or painter's tape and a permanent marker work well). Feel free to take your dishes and serving utensils home once our event has concluded.
- Arrive as close to 11:00 a.m. as possible. The kindergartners will be singing a song for our families as we begin our event.
The Kindergarten Thanksgiving Feast is a traditional event in kindergarten. It is a potluck feast and we ask each family to bring a favorite dish from your culture or family tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving. Some items we suggest include, Spanish rice, empanadas, noodle dishes, candied yams, potato dishes and breads, along with any dessert item of your choosing. Please make enough servings for 8 to 10 persons for the feast.
November 2nd - Sadie Dansiger - Mrs. Hale's class
November 6th - Joaquin Ochoa - Mrs. Heupler's class
November 11th - Abraham Jette-Kouri - Mrs. Heupler's class
November 11th - Eleanor Smith - Mrs. Agundez's class
November 12th - James Klarin - Mrs. Heupler's class
November 20th - Claire Furlanetto - Mrs. Agundez's class